1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Quantum stuff made real

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by raggidman, Aug 21, 2016.

1. raggidman Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_mechanics#Cryptography

Well Nakia - here is a Quantum thread - where you can add you bits ^^

And a link with a very broad look at Quantum stuff from the wiki

Again I want to say that it really depends what sort of Quantum Computer the Chinese or the Germans have ... could be the abacus of Quantum computers ;)

Also they may have stolen the ideas and parameters from the Germans - monkey see, monkey do.

Beyond that I re-iterate: rubbish in, rubbish out ...

But they ought to get some serious stuff out of it up there ... some very precise new data. What matters is whether it will be useful data.

Aaaaaand ... I reiterate and elaborate - Life is developing information powered by motion

intelligence therefore is self-aware developing information powered by motion

particle physics is also based on motion plus/times/divided by/less type and quantitity of information

note to self: have to decide whether gravity is purely motional or informational or both - ref Einstein & serious uncertainty ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2016
  2. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    My spinning brain is firing off electrical charges in many different directions. I will proceed with caution.
    Chinese scientists may not have needed to steal anything. Scientists do share information. The scientific method involves first having a hypotheses and researching it. Once the scientist feels that he or she has a possible working theory they publish a paper. Then the scientific com unity steps in and tries to either prove or disprove the hypotheses. If verified it then becomes a scientific theory. Which is a term often misunderstood by lay people. A scientific theory has facts to back it up. Science deals with facts. Can this be proven? If yes then they proceed and keep pushing back the frontiers of knowledge. If no either they move on to something else or keep seeking.

At some point not too far in the past it was discovered and proven that energy creates matter and matter creates energy. Then as I posted in the other thread came the study of the unseen, the very, very small and quantum physics was born or perhaps I should say recognized by the scientific community. The atom was split and nuclear power came about.

Newton's Theory of Gravity with Einstein's refinements was still held to be the law of the universe. Wait, something was just on the edge of the eye flickering in and out. Particles! They do not obey the Laws of Newton/Einstein Gravity. They behave in strange ways. One moment sitting right where they should be but the next over in some place where they shouldn't be. So humans being who just can't stand to not know invented a machine to study them. The scientific frontier of knowledge has been pushed a little further back.

This is what I love about science it constantly expands, constantly grows, advances and refuses to be stuck in a box and held to a rigid code of what we must believe, what we must take on blind faith. It is exciting, it is fun.

I will stop there and rest my brain. If anyone reads this lengthy post please respond but remember this is about science. Facts, facts and only facts, please.

Both I think.

3. ConjurerDragon

ConjurerDragon Ich dien ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    The US got Quantum Rays already since 2009... :tie:

Science should not be taken too seriously.
    I still giggle when I remember the lessons in school about the invention of the steam engine and locomotives and serious scientists backed by people earning their money with wagon coaches warning against the risks of setting the harvest ablaze by sparks flying from the locomotice and of course the serious dangers to passengers of travelling so fast (around 30 km/h) like no human being had been intended to.

What is presented as the "laws of the universe" today might be the laughing stock of the day after tomorrow.

4. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Off-topic, but the risks of fires due to the sparks are quite real, actually. It happens very quickly when the railroad tracks are not properly maintained. We've had a substantial fire here just recently caused by the brake sparks from a passing train.

5. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I don't know what ConjurerDragon means by "science should not be taken seriouly" and I have a feeling that I don't want to go there. This is not a debate but simply a discussion of Quantum Mechanics.
    Governments often finance science for military reasons. The atom bomb is a good example of that. The race for space was to at least make sure that no one country controlled space and the potential military uses. Business people finance science because they hope to make a profit. Medical science may be a bit more focused on helping humans to better lives. An example of that is the dialysis machined used to treat people with kidney failure. I was develed by battlefield medical people who needed something to help wounded soldiers.

Science is dangerous but so is life. If humans were afraid of danger we would not be here today. I agree with Neil DeGrasse Tyson that scientists are children that never grew up, who were able to kept their naturall wonder and desire to know what makes the universe run. Then military need or greed steps in and gives them the financial help they need to do their exploring.

Without the scientific mentality we would either still be living in caves or be extinct. I am sitting here able to post for many reasons all caused by science. I can see because of medical advances made in the last thirty years. I have a computer because of scientific advances. I have a warm, well lighted house because of scientific advances. Cars, buses, trains, airplanes are all dangerous but without them we still be primarily a rural economy. Our life span would be much shorter and assuming I had lived to my current age I would probably be blind, sitting near a fireplace drooling and dependent on someone to feed and clothe me.

I take science very seriously and at the same time I simply just love it. I am not interested in debating whether science is good or bad. It depends on how the discoveries are used not on the science itself.

I will exercise some self control and stop there but this is my favorite subject so be warned. Push the synapses in my brain and I can go on for hours.

6. ConjurerDragon

ConjurerDragon Ich dien ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    I wrote Science should not be taken TOO seriously. I didn’t say one should not take it seriously at all, just that the history of science is one where theories are invalidated by newer explanations.

7. raggidman Gems: 2/31

hmm ... you used to have to have a guy with a flag walking in front of your car ... for fear of accidents! Scary cars then eh?

and Nakia, you will not even want to say anything about science if there is a nuclear winter provided by science - you know why ^^

of course if if is Schoedinger's Nuclear Winter it may or may not happy :D

8. Nakia

Media:
    The fact that science evolves and corrections are made is one big thing I like about it. Science studies stone but is not set in stone. Once people believed the earth was flat now we know it is a sphere well almost a sphere. Once people believe that the sun revolved around the earth now we know the earth revolves around the sun. This is what I find so exciting about science that it expands, explores. Only facts count and new facts are constantly discovered. Quantum Physics is very new. It was discovered in the twentieth century, hardly a eye blink in the history of human kind.

Ragman, I am alive and can see because of science. Why shouldn't I love and appreciate science? Now if we go back to the political thread I might have a few different things to say. :rolleyes: Once I was a mathematician and when you get into advanced math the doors swing open and the possibilities are endless.:) Unfortunately I was born about thirty years too soon. I envy those who can explore the universe now. It is an exciting time, scary too but not because of the scientists.

Back to quantum Physics. Here is a quote from an article in the Wikipedia. Just a little information to get us started.
    More to follow another time.

9. raggidman Gems: 2/31

You are alive thanks to your mum and dad young lady

science may or may not have helped extend your life along with the efforts of some very special people

There is no too old for science - life is developing information powered by motion ... even death which is a state of the decomposing of life is powered by motion - you do not seem to be dead yet :p

Nice quote ;)

10. Nakia

Media:
    Hi, RagMan
    I could nitpick your post but all I will say is that my mother lived to birth me because of an experimental medical treatment available when she was about eight. So yes I am alive because of science. Don't get me side tracked with the problems of birth and pregnancy. We have come a long way because of science.

Another quote from the Wikipedia
    Human beings are natural scientists. We seek the answers to why, who, when, where, what. It appears to be built into our DNA. This instinct can be repressed, made illegal for various political reasons.

Another brief quote.
    I can post here because of quantum physics.

11. raggidman Gems: 2/31

Well okies - I might allow you a few points there ... but only because you included 2 more interesting quotes

So Quantumness is the ofc the scientific equiv of contradiction ^^ :confused: :tobattle:

Nakia likes this.
  12. Nakia

Media:

Color and bold my doing.

Yes, Raggie, that is correct Quantum Physics is the equivalent of contradiction. Especially when you get to particles. Those little things just don't behave at all the way they should if they were out in the real world, that is the world you and I think we dwell in. Those little particles are flying all over the place and sometimes they are waves and some times they aren't.

quotes will follow later

13. Nakia

Media:
    Sorry no quotes right now. I came across several articles from different sources on this subject so feel it is safe to post a link to one.
    Subject: The quantum computer that may not be a quantum computer.

http://www.wired.com/2014/05/quantum-computing/

The subject title may not be fair. If it is based on quantum mechanics isn't it justifiable to call it a quantum computer? Maybe not. I will let the scientist and mechanics experts decide that question. Raggidman may beat me to the answer. :)

Edit: I doubt there is anyone around that is old enough to remember the original computers but you may have read or studied about them. They were very large. Those were called main frame computers at one time. The personal computer arrived in the seventies and there are people around who remember those. I think the development of current quantum computers can be compared to the development of those early computers.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2016
  14. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    My first computing efforts were on 110 baud teletype terminals connected to a PDP 20/20 mainframe four towns away through a not-so-lightning-fast telephone line. So there. :p

15. Nakia

Media:
    Well, I am surprised. That's all I will say.:eek:

ran across this. A quantum theory game! Unfortunately for me it is for Playstation and Xbox and not PC.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.