1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The Donald

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by The Great Snook, Jul 21, 2015.

1. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Yes. :(

2. raggidman Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Lols - reports in the past couple of days say China has launched a satellite with a 'Quantum' computer aboard = game over if they put other than rubbish in it

3. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Wonder if Neil DeGrasse Tyson know about this. I would like to know more about that report. Is it speculation or fact? Game over if China has developed a quantum computer. They are light years ahead of us if so.

4. raggidman Gems: 2/31

It was in one of the Daily London 'free' newspapers - either the Metro or the Standard

and I caught a Tweet about it too

Still, no matter how fast a computer is you have to have the software -

If I can see design software their quantum computer would take a million years to crack so can others. but will they?

5. Nakia

Media:
    Quantum Mechanics is not easy to understand or master if they have the brains to build a quantum computer they have the brains to design the software and use it. This could leave us so far behind we won't even see their dust. They will be able to hack in to top secrets of any nation and no one will even know it. That is just the beginning.

6. raggidman Gems: 2/31

You are confusing speed with ability - if software is designed properly the fastest computer in the Universe could not hack it within the given design parameter designated period - again the question is how smart defence systems designers etc are

7. Nakia

Media:
    I don't think I am. Math was my strong talent. Although I am by no stretch of the imagination a Quantum physicist I do know a little about it. It is the study of extremely small, the unseen. What I am trying to say is that if they are smart enough to build a true quantum computer they are smart enough to use it; How they use it we will find out too late.

8. raggidman Gems: 2/31

they will probably use it to pinpoint suitable targets for kidnapping and organ harvesting as they have been doing to the Falun Gong and Thibetans

9. Nakia

Media:
    I think they would be seriously considering world domination. The possibilities of its use are astronomical.

10. raggidman Gems: 2/31

More likely they will be looking at ways to get rich ^^ greed is a trait of their culture

11. Nakia

Media:
    Most cultures.

12. raggidman Gems: 2/31

true - but while some of the most generous pepole I have met recently are Chinese their culture generally take it to extremes

13. Nakia

Media:
    Years ago when I first met up with the Chinese culture I did realize that it differs from ours. Did before the communist takeover and that didn't change. Any of our politicians who think that they , the Chinese, will think and react as we do are going to get us in deep trouble.

14. raggidman Gems: 2/31

there is always the question of whether politicians actually think or only react without consciousness :rolleyes:

15. Nakia

Media:
    They think but tend in my opinion to think what they want to think. Especially the higher the office. Seems to me that they must beleive because they conned voters into voting for them that they are smarter than anyone else. They forget they are dealing with foreign con artists who just may be smarter.

16. raggidman Gems: 2/31

Or 'shock / horror' - simply more unscrupulous and able to 'get away with worse stuff' - the Nine Commentaries

17. Nakia

Media:
    The Chinese are smart always have been. Maybe partly because they didn't have one specific religion that forced them into a belief box. The Muslims in Baghdad did wonders in Math and science from 800 to 1100.
    Then their religion shut them down. Don't have time to go into that as I have a doctor's appointment to go to. I will return.

18. raggidman Gems: 2/31

happy doctoring

Nakia likes this.
  19. Nakia

Media:
    Did some research on quantum computers. Haven't found the China news yet but came across this article from the Daily Science. It is basically links to various info and may be of interest to any one seeking more knowledge. From what I have seen I think it quite possible that China could have a Quantum computer. Surely Germany has one. They are the leaders in this type of thing.
    https://www.sciencedaily.com/news/computers_math/quantum_computers/
    Quantum Physics has been around since if I recall correctly the 1920's or 30's and is the basis for much of our modern technology.
    This is getting a bit off topic and really deserves a thread of its own but if our President and Congress aren't on the ball we will be left at the starting gate. If the next President doesn't grab those mysterious particles and finance the study of them we can't forget about "Make this Nation Great". Star Trek anticipated those strange particles. "Beam me up, Scotie." :)

20. raggidman Gems: 2/31

Trump gets his support from those who are comparatively clueless and those who, having contempt for calculation, want to cause trouble. There are a lot of those. but they are not necessarily sub-normal = worrying. The problem comes from the Nazi party remaining legal in the US. So the bushes were able to worm their way into power despite their uncle who was convicted of 'giving aid and comfort to the enemy'.

That may seem separate - but politicians follow political trends and so the left followed bush and co to the right ... hence Hillary and co.

For decades it was agreed that it was best not to meddle in the middle east, but the Bushs had an agenda and carried it through - that made an impression and the rest follows.

The other side as has been said is reality TV and shows based on demeaning participants. That made it socially acceptable to do so. So long as people laugh and no one shames the 'host' ...

Combine the two with Hollywood politics - Reagan, the mentally incompetent darling - and you get Trump. And Trump does not even realise that he is a monster. Like a banker, he is a narcisist - incapable of understanding that he is doing something very wrong because the TV morality he follows supports him.

Where you don't even have the pretence that you must behave in a certain way and are having fun ...

my 2 trillion cents ;)

--

here ya goes - one quantum thread: http://www.sorcerers.net/community/index.php?threads/quantum-stuff-made-real.77908/

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2016
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.