1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Questions about NPCs

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Chickavalier, Apr 20, 2005.

1. Chickavalier Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

OK, I'm Just asking your OPINIONS,and There are few Q to answer:
    (1)What's your favourite NPC?
    (2)What do you think is best NPC?
    (3)Who is Must-have for party?
    (4)What's good gear for Q(1),(2),(3)?

[ April 20, 2005, 20:22: Message edited by: Beren ]

2. Sticker Gems: 9/31

1. Haer'Dalis or Jan, I think the NPC's in BGI are better.
    2. Korgan or Edwin. Korgan hasn't 'wasted' any proficency slots on useless stuff like Minsc, Keldorn and Mazzy and Edwin is by far the best mage.
    3. Aerie :lol: ... no seriously, a second mage & cleric in one that leaves space for three melee characters.
    4. Longswords or katanas for Hare'Dalis and the melodic chainmail, I usually go with Melf's minute meteors for ranged, too much hassle otherwise due to the dual-wield. Axes and hammers for Korgan. Robe of Vecna for Edwin. Wow, I just realised I can't remember any weapon names. :D

3. Argohir Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

1)Minsc(Butt kicking, for goodness!)
    2)Minsc again(We are all heroes, you and Boo and I.Hamsters and rangers everywhere, rejoice!)
    3)Imoen(Because she is my little sister)
    4)Lilarcor and Minsc, they are created for each other. Tuigan Bow and Gesen Bow for Imoen

4. CĂșchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Haer'Dalis using one of his own weapons with shortsword of the mask and later some of those great longswords when you build his profiencies up. Basicially what Sticker says.

Jaheria with red dragon scales armour, a high powered sling, spear of withering or impailing, some strength increasing items like the belt from adventurers mart or the ogre gloves from planer sphere.

Edwin with the robe of Vecna and staff of the Magi. He becomes unstoppable then!

I am not really fond of Minsc as he hardly hits for me and he cannot take a beating, but most people here swear by him...

Yoshimo is great with the shortsword of backstabbing, rings of invisibility, mercy killer ring (if you can afford it), black dragon armour and that stone that improves thaco and HP from the spiders layer in the graveyard district.

5. Kulyok Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Valygar, probably. I like BG1 NPC much better.

Anomen. Good power, romance.

Anomen, Valygar, Korgan.

As it's SOA:

Anomen - Gorgon Plate, Crom Fayer, +5 shield.
    Korgan - +3 axes in both hands, Red Dragon plate.
    Valygar - Celestial Fury, Belm, Shadow Dragon plate.

6. Ancient Galatan Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Hey, why just not saying "I'm new here, and i don't know what party to use"
    I personally don't think your questions can be answered properly, because there are many different ways to play, like good or evil, and so on.

7. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

When good, I like to take Imoen and Minsc whenever I can. Evil guys take Viccy and Edwin. Korgan gets the boot since Axes aren't that great in SoA imo.
    Powerwise, Edwin is the best. Also Anomen.
    Just get Anomen down to -11AC or thereabouts with FoA or IMoD and he is happy. Since Edwin wont be at the frontlines he does not need much by way of equipment. Ofcourse Robe of Vecna and Staff of Magi are fun :evil:

8. Chickavalier Gems: 9/31

I'm Not new, but I'm just thinking of another party

9. Marcus_Giden Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Haer' Dalis

Edwin or Keldorn (Edwin for awesomeness, Keldorn stat-wise)

Edwin

Haer' Dalis should have some strenght-increasing belt, cloak of the sewers, ring of earth-control, Helm of Balduran, Bard Chainmail, and his swords.

Edwin, as said before, only really need Robe of Vecna and Staff of The Magi (maybe bracers of defense ac 3)

10. Isshy Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

My Opinions:

1)Minsc...very funny

2)Best Mage NPC...Edwin hands down.
    Best Good aligned fighter...Keldorn with Minsc a close second. Keldorn wins due to his paladin abilities.
    Best evil aligned fighter...Korgan.
    Best theif...Yoshimo
    Best Cleric...Viconia and Jaheira are both pretty darn good.

3)There is no 'must have' NPC...this game can be soloed, but If I had to pick one it would be Yoshimo early on for the trap defences/open locks (unless PC is a theif).

4)There are so many ways to equip weapons and armors and it too depends on what kind of PC. Would take pages to answer for all the combinations but some things are obvoius like Caromsyr for Keldorn, Crom Faeyr for Korgan and Staff of Magi for Edwin.

Final thoughts...any NPC can be good if equipped well and used intelligently.

[ April 22, 2005, 03:02: Message edited by: Isshy ]

11. San Ti Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

(1) Minsc

(2)Edwin

(3)Keldorn or Edwin

(4) 1.Silver sword
    2.Vecnas Robe
    3.Karsomyr +5

I think though that its the combination of items and the PC character that makes a good party. :D

12. Deuce Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Gotta disagree with Isshy on the best NPC thief - I consider Jan to be a better choice the Yoshi. His base thief abilities along with his gear make him pretty useful right out of the box. That high detect illusions can be very nice to have (especially if you don't have Keldorn). Add some fairly strong Arcane casting ability (no necro, but he can Stoneskin and Mirror Image to protect himself, and spells like Fireball and Cloud Kill have their uses) and he's a bargan in the Thief slot.

13. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

1) Favourite is Nalia, I think I'm in love with her. See my posts in 'Imoen, Nalia or Jan?' topic for more!

2)Jaheira, she is an awesome punishment taker, she has -11 AC, GOOD resistant to nearly everything, and with her Ironskin, summoning and healing she is a tank! Get her a belt that enhances str, and she is awesome!

3)Imoen ofcourse, my only childhood friend, the one I started my adventuring career, and my little sissy!

4)Short bow of gessen, King's mask, Robe of Vecna,(if you are not a mage), some rings that enhance thief abilities, plus thief potions for Nalia.

Best armor you can have, (limited wish creates a good one with LOW ac.), Dragon shield, Helm of Balduran, any decent scimitar or club for Jaheira, plus lots of AC improvers, (ring of earth, cloak of sewers, etc) she is amazing and versatile!

Hmm, Imoen does not need equipment seriously, Firetooth dagger is nice for her, plus anything suitable.

14. Isshy Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Duece..I really like Yoshimo's traps. He can take out a Dragon all by himself if he plants enough traps...can Jan do that? Plus he is a good backstabber, especially with celestial fury, he hides well for scouting, and is also damn good with a shortbow. When it comes to stealing Jan is better but with a few potions even Imoen can wipe out any NPC's inventory. Granted he has no mage skills but you could always dual him to mage or cleric if you like. It all depends on your point of view I guess...RP vs powergaming etc. For me it's those awesome traps.

15. Kulyok Gems: 11/31

For me, it's Yoshi both in RP and powergaming aspects. I can't stand Jan's personality, the way he laughs at others, and I don't like his thief abilities (compared to Yoshimo).

16. Chickavalier Gems: 9/31

I think Nalia is a good mage(Not Thief!!!) too. and Kulyok, why do you think Jan's thiefy skill is so bad?(He's best thief in the game)

17. egervari Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I have a few.

- Korgan just because he's just so strong with axe of the yeilding. You get him early and can specialize his weapons however you like, but dual-weilding axes is a great place to start and you can get 5 stars in two weapons plus full dual-weilding in SoA alone.
    - Viconia because she's the best cleric in the game and dark elves are cool
    - Mazzy because of her sexy voice. That's about it.
    - Keldorn because once you fix his low dex, you've got a great character. He's using the best Paladin kit and can use the Holy Avenger.
    - Imoen because her thief skills are pretty much at exactly the right level to disarm traps and pick locks (with a few items) for the entire game so she can maximize those mage levels. She basically solves the need for a thief and a mage (better than Jan or Nalia IMO), so you can pretty much stack up on any combination of warriors or priests or extra mages for the rest of the characters.

- Viconia just because you can't make a better pure cleric yourself, although Ranger/Cleric or Berseker/Cleric are very powerful too. Her stats are unbelievable once you get her a belt to fix her strength though.

I'd still have to go with Viconia, or maybe Imoen. Viconia is probably the best NPC hands down as most of the others are replacable.

Really it comes down to having the right person for the job. If your main character is a cleric, then getting Viconia wouldn't be very smart. Even in the right party, Anomen or Aerie would be a better fit depending on what else you are packing.

18. Kulyok Gems: 11/31

@ Chickavalier

Jan has problems with traps. While Yoshimo can lay five, Jan can lay only two or three, and these deal much less damage. You'll have to wait for quite a bit, and I prefer to be powerful early.

Besides, Jan is a mage. He is not good enough to be the only party's mage, so you'd need a sorcerer or Edwin. Then, you'll have two mages and half a thief. I don't like that picture. Of course, if Jan was a fighter\thief, I'd take him any day without hestitation.

19. Chickavalier Gems: 9/31

But Jan is Enough to do every LP/FT/DI...and he is Illusionist, which means he gets 1 extra spell/LV
    but I agree that Jan can't be only mage in the party

20. Aslyn Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I think I have to go with Edwin as my Fav NPC..hes funny and ruthless..Viconia is up there right with him..

Jan is kewl but you can only play him so much

Mazzy gets on my nerves because she hastes all the time and gets tired quickly..

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.