1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

How do YOU choose a name for your character?

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Eyebreaker7, May 12, 2016.

1. Eyebreaker7

Eyebreaker7 Someone clean my litter box ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I find that to be the hardest part for me. I try looking around the room and seeing if anything jumps out as a cool name but that doesn't work.
    I'm talking about for a video game, like BG, not PnP. Although I guess in a way they are pretty similar.

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Oddly, I never had any problems with that. I usually just look at the portrait and start forming syllables in my head until I've got an appropriate name, which doesn't take long.

3. Keneth Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    Why would a video game be any different to PnP when it comes to choosing a name for your character?

Honestly, I'm not that great at coming up with names for characters. But then, my job is infinitely more complicated since I'm a GM and I have to come up with hundreds of them.

One thing that helps me significantly is the random name generator at http://www.behindthename.com/random/. Find some names you like, change a few letters or syllables, and you're done.

4. xosmi Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    I like http://donjon.bin.sh/fantasy/name/ myself. it's a name generator specifically for fantasy settings, for when you want names that fit with your elf/orc/halfling/drow/draconic whatever race.

5. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Mostly, I do what Tal does. But does name generators don't look too bad either, to use as a base as Keneth does.

6. Paracelsi

Paracelsi Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I also do what Tal does. Like if it's a picture of someone swinging dual daggers I'll probably think of a name with "shhrr" (swinging of a blade sound) plus extra syllables.

7. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    You can find lists of names from mediaeval city books and other sources online. Those are usually good enough for human characters and in some cases for elves and dwarves. For elves and dwarves there are a lot of name translators online. Whatever the merit of such 'name translation', the result should sound vaguely okay for the race anyway.

8. damedog Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Resourceful Veteran

Wow. Am I the only one who routinely uses his own name :lol:

9. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I assume that we're talking about the entire party too in games like IWD etc. Unless you name everyone there damedog1, damedog2, damedog3... :p

10. xosmi Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    I do have a "go-to" name that i frequently use, which is an anagram of my real name. I usually use it for my first character i take for a play through of the games i play.
    That said, after I've completed a game, i like to make more role-playing focused characters, and i give them names to go along with their themes.

11. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    I typically use my family member names and try to make portraits that look like us.

12. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Oh the choices we make in RPG's.

Probably mentioned it before, I mostly use Merlanni. When I saw the portrait I use in my avatar it shocked me. A spitting image of the character that I had made in games and used to write stories about. I formed it in my head after a while and saw the picture in NWN.

Now a days I just tap some random keys and add vowels.

13. Sorvo

Sorvo Where's the nearest pub? Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Still don't recall where I came up with mine when I was a kid but it sure stuck!

14. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    I tend to go with names that fit the cultural sounds. With fantasy it's easier but real world I'll look into typical names and naming traditions.

The Great Snook likes this.
  15. ConjurerDragon

ConjurerDragon Ich dien ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    I use several methods to get names.
    Sometimes when it´s only 1 PC I use my own name.
    For a party I often use names that give away the characters function, e.g. when playing Pool of Radiance my Ranger was Robin Wood, or resemble examples from myths like my Mage Merlyn.
    Playing "Realms of Arkania"/Das Schwarze Auge in german my Druid´s name was Taraxacum
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taraxacum
    and my Dwarf´s name was Anthrax (that was when the news were all over with letters containing spores of anthrax and my dwarf had a very poisonous temper).

16. yndiana Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Unless I have a clear idea or an incredible illumination, the name creation gets so much time!
    Sometime I mix names. I rarely go for famous characters names (for example I called Garona my Diablo 3 F Barbarian!).

17. triptych Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I've spent too much time thinking about what to name characters. I take their appearance, personality, and role in the story into account when I choose them. That's why I prefer games where the names are unalterable, so the responsibility of naming characters is out of my hands lol

18. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

In the past I used to pick names that would math the race of the character and let my "Tolkien-lore" do the rest.

Last years, I usually play females because I think it's more fun to play a female character, probably because I already play a male character most time in my life... ;-) When the Dutch Woman Soccer team became European Champions, I decided to name my characters after them and some of their names do well in an RPG-world. I had characters named Shanice, Vivianne, Sherida, Lieke and Sari and there are lots of them left :-)

19. Dreamweaver

Dreamweaver Life is complicated, just deal with it

Hello ! I'm Dreamweaver ! Someone special thought it would be perfect for me.

20. i always just write the first thing that gets in my mind

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.