1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Memorizing spells alphabetically

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate 2: Enhanced Edition' started by Eyebreaker7, Jun 3, 2016.

1. Eyebreaker7

Eyebreaker7 Someone clean my litter box ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Is there a way to stop the memorization of spells in alphabetic order? For example I have 3 Melf's acid arrow and 1 mirror image memorized in that order. If I remove an item giving me a extra spell slot, amulet of Metaspell influence (gives 1 extra 2nd level mage spell), I now have only the 3 acid arrow spells left because the memorization is in alphabetical order so mirror image is the one to go :(

Is there some way to change this? I currently only have BGEE and BG2EE installed with the tweak pack for each. No SoD yet. As far as I recall there is no option to make this happen.

I'm currently running the v2.2.66.0 game version. As far as I know it's the latest version?

2. Keneth Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    Stop dicking around with items that give you bonus spells and it won't matter. You don't really get to complain that the removal of an item doesn't work to your satisfaction, even if it worked differently in the previous versions, because you're not supposed to benefit from it. :shake:

3. Eyebreaker7

Eyebreaker7 Someone clean my litter box ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Well if I'm wearing a ring that gives bonus spells and then die, the ring has "fallen of my finger" somehow or my amulet of Metaspell influence "falls off" then I "lose" spells.

4. Eyebreaker7

Media:
    No way to memorize spells "normally"? Meaning in the order you select them and not alphabetically?

5. magisensei Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Nope at least not with just regular memorizing spells. With sequencers and things like that you can place spells in the order you want but regular every day memorization is in alphabetical order as it makes it easier to find when you need them - imagine searching through the spell bar for a spell that can be memorized in any order - what a nightmare.

But my question for you is if you are wearing the metaspell amulet why are you taking it off? The moment you take it off the extra spell slot disappears and no more extra spell. Any magical items that offers you extra spell slots normally you leave on and never ever take it off or unequip it because all those lovely extra spells will fly away. You either keep it on for the spell slot or don't use it. don't put it on and then take it off. If you are switching amulets for different magically bonuses usually during combat - normally that would be really odd - because who changes jewelry during combat (but the game allows you to do it anyway) so if you are doing this then too bad nothing can be done about it - game mechanics sadly won't allow it. Of course you can always put a post at the beamdog forum asking for this feature for spell memorization.

6. xosmi Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    actually, the alphabetical memorizing is quite a new function in the enhanced edition - i'm pretty sure that in the original games and prior to the 2.x patches for EE, the standard was that spells would fill the slots in the order you memorized them.
    One reason for unequipping an item like the metaspell amulet might be if he's using the shield amulet to buff himself before fights, afaik you need to actually wear the amulet to be able to use it's charges of the shield spell.

7. Eyebreaker7

Media:
    Magisensei I'm talking about memorization not the listing of spells in your spell book. They shouldn't need to be MEMORIZED in alphabetic order. You should be able to memorize them in any order you want like you use to be able to do it.
    As for removing the items that give bonus spells I don't do it voluntarily. Lol. When you die they "drop off" your body with the rest of your equipment.

8. magisensei Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

But if you die and the item is removed what does it matter what order you memorized your spells? If you die then everything you memorized should be gone as well after all you just went through a traumatic event. :D

9. Eyebreaker7

Media:
    In video games if you die you don't lose your spells. Does that really happen in pnp D&D?
    As for what matter it makes what order the spells are memorized in when the item becomes "removed" it snags the last spell in the memorized list which in this case is the one last listed because of alphabetic order.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.