1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Assertion failed in UIControlButtons.ccp

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by Eylaart, Mar 12, 2016.

1. Eylaart Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Hello,

In the forums I saw some other 'assertions fails' but none the same i've got.
    Besides the others seem a bit older.
    What is the case.
    I am running win 10.

I installed the original baldurs gate with TOTSC.
    I've played the game, and everything looked fine. Then I remembered there should be an update pack (It's about 15 years ago since I played this game).
    After some searching I found this pack:
    http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/dl.php?s=BG&f=../Games2/BG/bgintl114315.exe
    [​IMG]
    I have installed that one, and after the first screen with the possibilities to play, update, config etc. I pushed the play button.
    Immediately after that push I got this message:

An assertion failed in D:bad:Dev\Baldur\UIContolButons.cpp at line number 302.

It is strange since my optical drive is H: and not D:

I thought, perhaps because I played the game, some is amiss. So I removed the game, and installed it again. Immediately followed by the installation of the update pack.

Unfortunately the result was the same.

Doe someone have a solution to this problem?

Geetings,

E.

2. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    With Windows 10, I assume you installed both the game and the patch as an administrator using an administrator account?
    Also, did you install it to \program files (x86) or to \dev?
    With older games, it is usually best to install to a \games folder instead of \program files (x86)

I'm running out of time, so this is rushed.
    try following the instructions here, only for BG1. It works for a number of games, including Starfleet Command II (EAW & OP)
    https://web.archive.org/web/2014082...ate-ii-run-in-a-non-admin-account-on-windows/

Last edited: Mar 13, 2016
  3. Eylaart Gems: 1/31

thx slick,

I tried, but unfortunately it doesn't seem to help.

Though actually I tried:
    icacls * /grant :r user:F /T

*red on cheeks*

Oops, sorry, there was a patch on the cd. *Hides away*

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
  4. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    Did the CD patch work? Although I thought the patches from this site should have worked as well. Unless you are using Enhanced Edition and tried the original edition patches from here.

5. Eylaart Gems: 1/31

Don't know exactly which version I use.
    The patch on the CD says 1.3.5512.

I wanted to install a patch because I had in mind that hitting the TAB would highlight things you can search and pick up. However it still don't work now. But I think I should ask that in another thread.

Thanks anyway.

6. xosmi Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Media:
    If i recall correctly, highlighting with tab was a feature added for the first time in BG2 with the ToB expansion.
    I'm not sure if a patch retroactively also added the function to bg1, or if you really need to have the enhanced edition for it.

Edit : From what i've read elsewhere online, tab highlighting is not available in the vanilla version of baldur's gate. If you really want to stick with the vanilla version/don't want to shell out cash for the enhanced edition, and also have baldur's gate 2 - you could consider installing TuTu, as it also adds TAB highlighting to the BG1 portion of the game.

7. Eylaart Gems: 1/31

Strange, very strange. I also had read that the tab function is not available. But I just know for sure that I played it with the tab button. And I have never played BG2!
    Well, it shall be a mystery then.

Anyway thanks for the answers!

8. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    I think you are thinking of the <CONTROL>-<4> cheat key, that can be used after entering
    CLUAConsole:EnableCheatKeys().
    I know I completely missed all of the north-facing doors in Bergost (the ones that you cannot see because they are "behind" the buildings from YOUR point of view, but the cursor changes when you put the mouse over them) before I learned about that command.

Details on the cheat commands can be found here
    http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/dl.php?s=BG&f=BG/BG_cheat_list.zip

9. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    Well, either that or you played Trilogy, Tutu, or Enhanced Edition.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.