1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Lord Pyros ain't worth it!

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by Artas1984, Mar 6, 2016.

1. Artas1984 Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Are you kidding me? I wasted TWO HOURS killing that boulder and after the longest battle in my gaming history ever i have got 4500 XP and he left no items!!! What an insult!

The guardian dragon Chapotek was much more powerful and dangerous but i wasted him in less than 5 minutes with several powerful spells.

This guy on the other hand, does not give a crap about ANY damage and is completely immune to magic. Lucky he was slow, so i circled him around until he recieved enough of slashing damage from all of my party members...

Save your time and do not attack him!!!

2. Keneth Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    Wait what? You're not supposed to kill Lord Pyros, he gets murdered by Venomin, doesn't he?

I'm not sure what kind of mess you've gotten yourself into, but there aren't enemies in IWD2 that wouldn't go down in a couple of rounds if you're playing the game right.

3. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    :yot:Is the fact that I'm drawing a complete blank on what you guys are talking about a good excuse to play the game again?

4. xosmi Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Media:
    ^This - every time you leave the magma chamber area you will be back in the same area, only traveled through Time to a day earlier.
    [warning - minor plot spoilers]
    the first day you spend in the magma chamber when you initially arrive, Lord Pyros will already be dead.
    The first time the day 'resets' (i.e 'day 2') you will be told he is in a meeting with the ambassador - when this is done and you go to meet him you will see a cutscene where Pyros gets killed by Venomin.
    After leaving the magma chamber again and going through your 3rd loop, you'll get the option of giving Pyros an antidote to save him from being poisoned,and you can figure out it was Lothar that convinced Venomin to attack lord Pyros (he killed high priest Izbelah when Pyros promised to free her.)
    on your 4th loop you can actually witness Izbelah's trial through another cutcene and her murder at Lothar's hands.
    During the 5th loop you will finally be back to the time before Izbellah cast the spell that causes the time traveling effect - you have to hurry and kill her before she finishes casting the spell.
    After doing this you can finally leave the area and move on to the fields of slaughter.
    in total there's 5 day resets, and in none of those are you supposed to kill Lord Pyros.

Totally :p pick up the EE if you don't have it already and re-play it. I've recently replayed both IWD1(EE) and 2 (though sadly theres no EE for this one.) and i had a blast.

5. Artas1984 Gems: 1/31

He he he, i know i am not supposed kill Pyros, i just wanted to try him out.. It's funny how Venomin can kill Pyros so fast, yet it takes an army to bring him down otherwise.

I think you have played this game 10 years ago last time? Why don't you try and find out yourself. No, you are wrong, not all of IWD2 monsters go do in couple of rounds. One round is 7 seconds...

Have you ever challenged Pyros? If you are lucky to roll 20 slashing damage, 18 damage will be soaked, 2 will be dealt.

The rest kind of damage - piercing, bludgeoring is ignored. Magic is useless.

6. xosmi Gems: 20/31

Media:
    I think what keneth was trying to say is that most if not all monsters have some kind of weakness you can exploit to kill them really fast (a lot of them in a matter of rounds) bar those you're not supposed to kill.
    That said, according to near infinity lord pyros is a lvl 24 fighter, and while he has an AC of 25 and reflex save of 23, he only has a fortitude save of 12 and a will save of 8, with a total of 204 HP.
    At this point in the game you should be able to get your party members up to lvl 15/16 (more if playing with less then a full party or when making use of cheese methods like level squatting.)

At lvl 12 you can pick up the 6th lvl spell Disintegrate, a fortitude save or die spell. you get 3 castings of it at lvl 12 - use it and pray one of them sticks. (if he makes his save he just takes 5d6 dmg.)

At lvl 15 you get to learn 2 lvl 7 spells, and are able to cast 4 of them - finger of death is another (7th level) fortitude save or die spell that should work. with 4 castings of it at least one should stick, if not just reload and try again.

If you get a sorcerer up to 19 at this point (though this would probably involve going solo or level squatting) you will have access to the 9th lvl wail of the banshee - fortitude save or die.
    Again, not guaranteed to stick the first time you try it but with 3 casts per rest chances are you'll be able to kill him pretty damn quick even without reloading.

If you really want to make sure your spells will hit, use other spells beforehand to lower his saves, like Malison (-2 to saves) or Doom if you also have a cleric. (-2 to attack and saves, will negates - but like i said pyros has crappy will saves to begin with.)

your spell DC is calculated as Spell Level + Caster's Ability Bonus + 10 = Spell DC.
    So, for the lvl 6th disintegrate with a sorc that has 20 charisma (+5 modifier) that would make 6 + 5 + 10 = 21. with his fortitude bonus of 12 (and the game rolling a 1-20 randomly for his save) anything between a 1 and a 9 he rolls to save vs disintegrate would fail and he would die, that's almost a 50/50% chance.

similarly finger of death would be a DC of 22, so he would need to roll 10 or better, and wail of the banshee would have a DC of 24, so he would need to roll 12 or better.
    Of course, if you can boost your charisma even higher at this point you would have an even bigger cha modifier (+6 or maybe even +7) making your DC even higher.

7. Keneth Gems: 29/31

★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    One round is 6 seconds. A couple rounds for your entire party is a lifetime.

You're not supposed to attack him, so it's a bleedin' wonder you can even do any damage to him at all. Most NPCs like that are either invulnerable or unkillable.

8. Artas1984 Gems: 1/31

Xosmi, i have a party of 6, one of them is a sorcerer that actually knows disintegrate and finger of death. I chose those spells, since they do damage even if saves are checked against them.

Pyros was immune to those spells completely! If he is a level 24 fighter with those kind of stats, he is not that impressive, since one of my level 15 fighters/clerics has better hit point and save stats. There must be something else about Pyros that makes him uber tough.

Actually i killed the dragon Chapotek using those spells and some others, and i killed the high priest Thoraskus with a single finger of death spell! But Pyros will have non of that!

Last edited: Mar 6, 2016
  9. coineineagh

coineineagh I wish for a horde to overrun my enemies Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    You can get two Returning Fire Bullets +1 as rewards for giving Pyros two antidotes. I love him for that alone.

Sure he's tough as nails, but slow and a weak attacker. Don't you have a weapon with cold dmg? He's made of magma and lives in a volcano; this isn't rocket science.

10. xosmi Gems: 20/31

Media:
    Yeah, i'm going to guess that since he isn't supposed to be killed he has a script/effects attached to him that make him immune to spells that should normally work on him.
    I figured that might be the case, but i didn't have a save near lord pyros to test it out. Still, for all the other non-essential enemies that don't have similar protections, the comparison still stands - most enemies are pretty tough and strong in one regard, but are weak in others (like having high saves for 1 type and low saves for the other 2, or being vulnerable to a specific type of damage.)

Edit : just checked Lord Pyros in near infinity again, and it turns out he is equipped with a (non-droppable) ring that makes him immune to all spell levels, as well as effects like being held, slowed, panicked, paralyzed, dominated, put to sleep, etc.

So to kill him it seems like you are forced to do so in melee combat, and even there he's been made largely resistant.
    Still, buffing your party members should help a lot, one spell in particular would be Executioner's eyes, it gives your party a +4 attack bonus and a +4 bonus to critical hits (if you critical hit on a natural roll of 20, you now critically hit on any roll from 16-20) for 10 rounds, which should make it a lot easier to take him down.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2016
  11. Artas1984 Gems: 1/31

I just wasted the 6 dead Bane's minions in less that 3 minutes, even though the battle was tough, it's nothing compared to Pyros toughness. That guy is the toughest monster in any Forgotten Realm games i have ever played. His damage resistance is probably greater than Mephistopheles from NWN HOTU or Moridor demon's from Torment.

But yes, i did not attack Pyros. He is an awesome character, and his gifts were awesome too.

12. xosmi Gems: 20/31

Media:
    Yup, that's dev protection for you - he's got a ton of immunities and damage resistances he wouldn't have if he as a legit enemy of the same level. makes sense, since killing pyros could potentially break the game and make it so you couldn't progress the story anymore without a reload.

13. Sir Rechet

Sir Rechet I speak maths and logic, not stupid Veteran

Any BLUDGEONING weapon with at least +3 enchantment will make short work of him. Also, like almost any quest NPC, he loses his "must not be killed" status after you've completed his quest. Free experience never hurts. ;-)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.