1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Which spell for a Dragon Disciple?

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate 2: Enhanced Edition' started by Eyebreaker7, Dec 5, 2015.

1. Eyebreaker7

Eyebreaker7 Someone clean my litter box ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I'm trying to decide what my next 2nd level spell should be. I currently have:

glitter dust, Melf's acid arrow, mirror image & ray of enfeeblement.

I'm trying to decide which one of these:
    Agannazar's scorcher, blur, stinking cloud, horror, web or deafness?

I'm leaning on blur just because it's for my main character and he's basically on the front line even though he's a mage type. I always forget to select him to do my talking so I leave him in front. I do keep him back during combat with offensive spells or a sling but the enemy doesn't always agree with that :tobattle:

2. xosmi Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    First off, i really dislike the dragon disciple kit, since it takes away from one of the main advantages of sorcerers, being able to cast your known spells as often as you have spell slots for that level by making it so you can cast 1 less spell per level. (i.e. you lose 1 spell slot for all levels)
    In return you get a one use per rest breath weapon, fire resistance (which only hits 100% at lvl 16) some AC (negligable if you are mainly in the back, you shouldn't be tanking as a caster anyway) and +2 con, 1 at 5th and 1 at 15th level. it's kind of a raw deal if you ask me.

That said, as far as the spells go you mentioned i would go with stinking cloud, horror or web - all debilitating save-or-else spells that affect an area.
    -Stinking cloud is Save vs poison with a +2 modifier, All undead are immune.
    -Horror is Save vs spell, all undead are immune to the fear effect it cause though.
    -Web is Save vs spell with a -2 modifier, but spiders and ettercaps are immune to it.

In my book this makes web the winner, not only do enemies get a -2 penalty to save against it, but it's also the only one that will work on undead, by far more dangerous and more prevalent then spiders/ettercaps in BG2.
    as far as the other spells go :

-Argannazar's scorcher might be okay if you lack any damaging spells, but you might as well wait until you get a wand of fire and cast it that way. you've also already have melf's acid arrow for trolls.
    -Blur is not a bad spell, but you already have mirror image, so it's not that important to grab.
    -Deafness is a situational spell at best - it's only useful vs casters, they can save against it, and even if they don't they only get a 50% chance of miscast magic, not all too useful.

TL, DR: Get Web. - combine with the spider spawn spell/spider figurine for some added fun.

3. Keneth Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    Sorcerers have so many spells that the loss of one per spell level is barely noticeable. Is it worth it for the abilities? Probably not, but dragon disciples are very rarely played for their abilities, even in PnP.

4. Eyebreaker7

Eyebreaker7 Someone clean my litter box ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I find myself using spells less than I would guess others do. I keep saying "OOH, save that one for the big one." or similar. Same with my wands and scrolls. I am STARTING to get better though. I mean what's the point of a caster if your not going to cast right? Might as well just throw another fighter in there if that's the case. With all that the 1 less spell per level doesn't hurt me at all.
    The wands and scrolls are showing more love from me as well. It's kinda like a new game with trying all this "new" stuff. Spells and such that is :1eye:
    As for playing a DD instead of a reg sorcerer I like it for it's difference for some reason like Keneth said. I mean who doesn't like being a dragon. Yea it's not really a dragon but the game IS called "Dungeons & Dragon Disciples" right :p
    They get:

fire breath
    fire immunity
    Con bumps
    AC bumps

Def better HD which is very nice!

All in all I love the DD. I find them = :cool:

5. xosmi Gems: 20/31

Media:
    Sure, the rule of cool does apply, and the loss of a spell level isn't too bad - you get 2 spell slots instead of 3 when you first get to a new spell level and a max of 5 instead of 6 spellslots as you level up for all spell levels, which is still plenty to go around, you might just need to rest a bit more.

Still, i'd have liked the kit more if it brought more to the table - like letting me pick the element of my firebreath & that i gain immunity to as i level up, or even giving me another use of the breath per rest for each spell slot you lose (which would be every other level up to 18th)

6. Eyebreaker7

Media:
    Oh yes! Letting us choose which sort of dragon blood we have would be SO sweat! :banana:

7. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    You get increases in CON as a dragon disciple, but are you still on the sorcerer's hp table? Because then it would be mostly pointless.

8. Eyebreaker7

Media:
    A normal Sorcerer gets a d4 for HD while a DD gets a d6 HD.

9. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Then it would appear to be a different table. Since sorcerers and mages don't get any benefit (hp-wise) for having a higher CON than 16, there wouldn't be much of a point in them getting +CON.
    In NWN I would play a red dragon disciple for the abilities, since you get a ton of abilities and a lot of stat bonuses. Mix in with a fighter for maximum cheese. But I suppose the RDD makes a lot more sense in 3.5e instead of in 2e.

I agree with xosmi that if you'd go for a spell caster, a sorcerer would seem like a much better option.

But I suppose variety is the spice of life, and it's not like we haven't all had a sorcerer PC at one point or another.

10. Eyebreaker7

Media:
    As far as I know the DD still only gets the same con bonuses as a reg sorcerer which doesn't make ANY sense since they get the con bumps :rolleyes:
    As for not having the diversity in spell selection if you want to swap out spells for some reason, facing trolls for example, you can always use scrolls for some added fun :)

11. xosmi Gems: 20/31

Media:
    Well, you could allways start with 14 in con, planning to hit 16 con at lvl 15 for the most benefit you're going to get out of your con score, and put the leftover statpoints somewhere else.

12. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mênu! Veteran

It's slow, but you do regenerate at 20 CON and higher.

Your decision on what stat to dump when you get to Spellhold is easier too.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.