1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Anomen, Keldorn or Minsc: which one to take?

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by jxbl1, May 29, 2002.

1. jxbl1 Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Having trouble deciding on which one of those 'fellas I should take around with me. Here is my analysis...any advice would be appreciated by BG Vets!

Minsc-
    Fighting: 9/10
    Quests: 2/10

Anomen-
    Fighting: 7/10
    Quests: 9/10

Keldorn-
    Fighting: 5/10
    Quests: 4/10

Here is the rest of the Party:
    Cavalier (me)
    Jaheria
    Yoshi
    Aerie
    Kelsey (from TDD Mod)

I guess is comes down to: Do I want another character to add more quests and enhance the (thier) storyline...or someone to bash alot of people with.

2. Faragon Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

I think you got Minsc and Anomen pretty much right, though I'd give Minsc a 8 1/2. However on Keldorn I strongly disagree. Provide him with gloves of Dex and Carsomyr, and he'll rock the house, worthy of a 9 :) Even without Carsomyr (say the Warblade +4) he'll still be a formidable tank.

As for a questrich Character, go for Edwin :) He's good at bashing (well both verbally and spellwise) and has a nice questline.

3. Salventis_385 Gems: 1/31

Go with minsc. His conversations are hilarious.

4. Wildfire Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

I would say either Minsc or Anomen - probably more Minsc. You already have 2 characters who are capable of casting priest spells, so Anomen's cleric abilities aren't particularly neccesary, and you don't have any tanks really. :)

5. Kull Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Properly equipped, Keldorn becomes the most formidable and useful of the three (at least in parties with a cleric). On the other hand, I love Minsc's dialogue. I hate the whiny arrogant Anomen (although he may be the best NPC "cleric" due to his fighter levels). In your particular party, you won't need Anomen.

You can cycle NPC's. Help them out and travel with them for their side quest as you gather money to rescue Imoen, etc.

6. [​IMG] I would suggest Keldon.He is a very powerful fighter and his ranged abilities aren't half bad.

Your also a cavalier.Cool.I love pallies,expecialy cavaliers, allot!!!:love:

7. Errol Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

For once i'd have to agree with Paddy, Keldorn is one mean tank if given some Dexterity. other than that, try Minsc with Dual-Wield Long/Bastard Swords.

Or Lilarcor of course ;):p

8. Lazy Bonzo Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

[​IMG] I'd have to advise you to take minsc. Since your a cavalier i'm guessing you'll be taking Carsomyr. Since that is the only reason i have ever taken keldorn (my main character wasn't a paladin) and even then i couldn't stand his goody goody attitude so i cut him up muahahahahaha :evil: So take minsc with liacor of course and have fun with the only npc who can have a 3-way convo with himself, his sword, and a minature giant hamster.

9. aldekeuk Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Definitely Keldorn or Minsc...

Keldorn is more of a tank, especially with the gauntlets of dex. Plus he's got that terrific dispel magic ability as well from being an inquisitor...

But Minsc's musings throughout the game make him a keeper for comedy's sake alone!

If your cavalier isn't going to use the Holy Avenger, then probably take Keldorn...

10. Vukodlak Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Veteran

Don't know what class Kelsey is (presumably a mage?).

I'd recommend taking Minsc - he is good for killing things. Although, Anomen, after casting a few spells, can be surprisigly effective.

11. SlimShogun Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] Hmmmm. I'd say Minsc because, if you plan on wielding Carsomyr, your Cavalier can do so, and with your current party setup, Minsc would probably fit in better.

12. Subra Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Veteran

I don't know what Kelsey can do for you, but if something should happen to cause Yoshimo to leave your party (*cough*), you are going to be without a stealthy scout/backstabber. I've found Valygar to superior to Minsc in every aspect. Minsc could stealth and scout for you, but he can't backstab like Valygar. Minsc also has a slightly lower dex score than Valygar and if you put a strength item on Valygar, you are going to be very happy with the results. Valygar also has some important spells that Minsc doesn't.
    You already have priest power out the wazoo, but Anomen is a very good npc once he gains some important priest spells like RM....meanwhile with the sling of seeking, he can do some serious range damage if you help his dexterity score with certain gauntlets...its pathetic.

13. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    I'd recommend Annoy-me. I personally have grown very attached to the poor guy... his quest is excellent, and he might be a stuc´-up moralist, but he sure as hell is fun!

Unless you are planning on giving Crom Fayer to Aerie, tyou could definitely use Anomen...

Ara
    (Spam? Who? Me? *puppy eyes* Never! :p)

14. Camlan Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Definitely Minsc.

You have enough clerics already and you don't need Keldorn to use Carsomyr.

Ah, And Minsc is much more hilarious than Anomen or Keldorn.

15. War Nerve

War Nerve And it took me back to something that I'd lost

I'd say Keldorn. He was always one of my favorites.

16. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

No Keldorn, for you already have a paladin, I suppose with Carsomyr..... Minsc can dual wield axes. maces, flails and war hammers and I see that that is what you still need in your party. And Minsc also causes much fun, he is funny.

Go for Minsc.... go for the eyes, Boo! :)

17. Firestorm

Firestorm Beeep, Beeep, ERROR Veteran

Well, I'd say either Keldorn or Anomen, both because I think those are better, and because I find Minsc annoying & stupid, and I love killing him in his cage :evil: But

Anomen is a very good fighter, and he is IMO, the best cleric in the game. Especially after his Radiant Heart quest.

Keldorn, is also very powerful, especially if you give him a strength girdle. Although you yourself, probably will be wielding Carsomyr, he will still be good with the Warblade, for instance.

In the case of your party I would recommend Anomen, because he is as good a tank as any, and against undead (if he is equipped with Mace of Disruption +2) he will slice throug them like butter. There is nothing better than watching vampires explode, to the very cool sound that comes when you turn them.

(BTW, Minsc should die...)

18. jxbl1 Gems: 1/31

Thanks everyone for the advice. From what I gathered I'll do this:

Keep Anomen thru his Radiant Heart quests, and maybe switch him out with Minsc. Depends on how well Anomen performs with better gear, etc.

BTW: Kelsey is a Sorcerer; comes via Darkest Day. A few posts asked about him...

Which brings another question or topic...how badly does Edwin disrupt a Good aligned party?

19. spyboy Gems: 1/31

I think the biggest question when deciding on a character is whether your style of playing is power or role. With the party you have, roleplaying, you seem more LG than anything. That would narrow it to Anomen or Keldorn. Since you are playing a cavalier, that would narrow it again to Anomen.
    Anomen is not a tank, taken at face value. He is a cleric that has the capability of becoming a tank with the proper spells and items.
    I would recomend then Anomen, both from a roleplaying and powerplaying point of view.

20. TheBlackRose Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Kelsey does not come via Darkest Day. He is a separate NPC mod. And rate Minsc a 0/10 for quests. Because HE HAS NONE.
    Kelsey NPC mod.

[This message has been edited by TheBlackRose (edited June 04, 2002).]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.