1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Game Freezes after Chapter 5 movie when resting

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate 2: Enhanced Edition' started by Knightheart, Aug 9, 2015.

1. Knightheart Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I just got out of the Asylum and rested in Underdark. During the rest, the movie played and at the end it just stopped and could not continue the game. I had to use task manager to end the task so I could get out. Now I can't continue the game since everytime I rest, this happens. What can I do? I tried quitting and reloading my saved games, I did 2 saves, one where I teleported out of the asylum and the other save when I took the portal to Underdark. Both saved games when the movie ends when I rest, it stops and can't play.

Please help!

Thanks!

---

Update to above post. I have been in the underdark and another movie played after a fight and at the end of the movie, it just stopped and didn't return me to the screen where I can move my group. What is happening? This is so FRUSTRATING! Please help????? Do I need a patch, and if so, where do I get it?

KH

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2015
  2. xosmi Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    Did you edit your savegame using a save editor like EEkeeper ?
    Do you have any mods installed to the game ? (for example BGtweaks)
    Do you have your game updated to the latest patch (1.3) ?

From what i've been able to find online about similar problems :

-Might be a problem with the game loading the resting movie/movies in general, to test this you can edit the option under [Program Options] in your baldur.ini called disable movies and set it to 1.
    if the option isn't there just add it in there.
    Code:
    Disable Movies=1 
    If the problem still persists after that something else is the cause, the only cause i've been able to find is that certain spellcasters might be bugged, more specifically their spellbooks - one person in particular seemed to have this same problem after changing the maximum # of memorized spells allowed on their PC.
    I've found some threads pointing at Aerie in particular, and i'm assuming this bug occurs on rest because that is the time when you regain your spells.
    Did Aerie (if you have her) or any other of your spellcasting companions recently level up ?

You could try to kick Aerie and/or any other of your spellcasting companions out of the party and see if the problem is gone once you do.

3. Knightheart Gems: 1/31

Thank you for replying. I do have version 1.3.2064, but did download the BG2 patch and ran it. It told me I have BG2 installed and so the patch ended without doing anything. I did go in and add the Disable Movies=1 in the Game Options, but the movie when I rested at the end of the asylum played anyway. Again, on the last scene where the changed Imoen attacks the 4 people, it kills the last one and just stands there. The screen is not frozen, since the monster thing is just standing there, looks like it is breathing.. The screen just sits there and I can't continue play. I did save the game with both options...teleporting out of the asylum or going thru underdark. No matter where/when I rested, the same thing happend.

Then I removed all castors from the party, except Keldorn. Same thing, movie played and at the end just sat there.

I did use ShadowKeeper mod to get a few items in my inventory, like healing potions, and a few misc. items. I did this at the very beginning, and never had a problem...but now that I am in Chapter 5 and ready to leave the area, I can't. Oh. I think Aerie leveled up somewhere in the asylum but don't recall where.

So, that is all I can tell you. I am really aggravated about this and more so since I can't seem to solve it. Thanks though!

Knightheart

---

Just checked the edited .ini file and even though I changed it and saved, when I just opened it, the disable movies=1 line is not there anymore. ???? Also, my character is just a regular Fighter, so no spellbook for me. Even removing all spell casters leaving only my PC and Keldorn, no dice. :(

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2015
  4. xosmi Gems: 20/31

Media:
    Try to set the baldur.ini file to read only after editing it.

There's not much i could find on problems with this cutscene specifically, but some possible causes of stuck cutscenes i have been able to find :

-If the protagonist isn't in the first (top) party spot the game might freeze on cutscenes.
    -A script never executed (properly) failing to update variables/spawning in npc's, causing the game to get stuck in cutscene mode.

5. Knightheart Gems: 1/31

Hi again, finally got 1 of my saved games to work. Somehow at the end of Asylum, Imoen is supposed to kill 5 times in the movie, but I only have 4. I finally got one to show all 5 and got the Slayer skill and was able to rest on the teleported out of the Asylum. I did the horn quest, but now I cannot find the captain to take the pirate ship! I have rested several times to cycle through the day and night periods, but still he isn't there! I checked the ENTIRE dock area several times, went to all the ships etc. and still Saineman or what ever his name was is not there. I tried the saved game I did when doing Underdark, but the scene only shows 4 deaths by the slayer, not 5, so this game is still not able to be used. My PC is not in the first slot, Keldorn is, so will try moving that and see. If not, I may have to go back and try the portal with the game I did the teleport option with....sigh. :(

---

Checked one of the walkthroughs on this site to find out where the sailor is to take the Pirate Lord's Ship to sea. Went to the exact location given and no NPC. I am about ready to just skip this whole thing and avoid the rescue of Imoen...just tired of this hassle and stuff not working. Thanks anyway, for all of your help!!!! Take care.

KH

6. xosmi Gems: 20/31

Media:
    I'm assuming you mean Saemon havarian ?
    If he's not where he is supposed to spawn, check if he's inside the vulgar monkey, he might be bugged out.

one possible fix is through console commands, just enter the following in succession, the first 2 to set quest variables to the right values, the 3rd one to ctually spawn in Saemon so you can talk to him :

CLUAConsole:SetGlobal("StealShip","GLOBAL",1)
    CLUAConsole:SetGlobal("AsylumPlot","GLOBAL",77)
    CLUAConsole:CreateCreature("ppsaem3")

7. Knightheart Gems: 1/31

How do I access the console command window. I have done it with Baldur's Gate 1, but never tried it with BG2.

---

Found the answer on how to access console command. I tried this before in BG2, and when I hit CTL-Space all I get is pause and unpause...seems to not recognize the CNTL key. It worked fine in BG1, but not in BG2. Thanks anyway.

8. xosmi Gems: 20/31

Media:
    Again, you will need to edit the baldur.ini file before the console will work. (don't forget to set the file permissions to read only again after editing so changes won't be reverted.)

more info here :
    https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/8317/general-bgee-customization

I seem to be able to use the console with no problem and create as many saemon's as i need :
    [​IMG]

9. Knightheart Gems: 1/31

Yes, I did edit the .ini file as before and the console box does not appear when I hit CTL, SHIFT. All it does is pause and I did make sure the command line was correct in the edited .ini file. Debug Mode=1

10. xosmi Gems: 20/31

Media:
    it's ctrl + spacebar, not ctrl + shift... (at least in the enhanced edition)

11. Knightheart Gems: 1/31

AHHH...FINALLY GOT IT ALL TO WORK! THANKS TO YOUR AWESOME ASSISTANCE! I REALLY DO APPRECIATE IT! HAPPY ADVENTURING!!! I meant CTL SHIFT in the last reply of mine! Thanks Again!

KH :) :) :)

12. Eyebreaker7

Eyebreaker7 Someone clean my litter box ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I have had the problem finding Saemon Havarian at times. I found the problem to be that I left the Vulgar Monkey before he got out the door.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.