1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Fight Club review

Discussion in 'BoM Blogs' started by Cap'n CJ, Jun 8, 2008.

1. Cap'n CJ

Cap'n CJ Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    This is a review I wrote a couple of years ago for the film Fight Club. Enjoy!

Advantages: Excellent casting and acting, well written and paced, great atmosphere

Disadvantages: ...Erm.....

I''m afraid i'm going to have to break the first two rules, and write a review for this movie. You'd be forgiven for looking at the title and assuming this is a macho gore-fest with violent punchups at every possible opportunity, but once you start it playing, you instantly realise: A lot of movies are pointless excuses for bloodshed, but this isn't one of them. Before long I found myself sucked into the world created by Palahnuik, and adapted by Fincher.
    I planned to write about the storyline here, but I changed my mind - I'd rather you watch it, and see for yourself. It's not my place to deprive you of it...
    The contrast between the pale, quiet, frustrated narrator (Known to many as simply "Jack", though this is never confirmed) and the charismatic Tyler Durden (A soap salesman with a strange view on the world) is a joy to watch, as they bounce off eachother with well written dialogue and timing. The film has occasional splatterings of gore, as the name suggests, but fighting isn't the true focus of the film. I don't want to talk too much more about the storyline, that's for you to discover on your own.

Brad Pitt plays Tyler Durden amazingly well, with some true comedy moments between him and the narrator. Edward Norton also shines in this film, particularly towards the end. Helena Bonham Carter also makes an appearance as Marla Singer, and plays the role in her particular style, and it really works with the character.

Overall, this is a fantastically written movie with excellent pacing and characters. The cast play their parts very well, and Fincher's vision for what Fight Club was has clearly been fulfilled. And of course, the ending... I wont ruin it for you. The only bad point about this entire film that I can think of is how it's been almost "prejudiced" because of it's name. People make an assumption, and move on. Put simply, Fight Club is about more than Fight Club. It's a dark, twisted look at society. It's a display of the frustration of a generation. Hell, it's a masterpiece.
    In conclusion:
    If you haven't seen this film... Stop reading reviews and buy it!

2. Fairie Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Media:
    Ed Norton is <3

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.