1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Blast from the past

Discussion in 'Creativity Surge' started by xosmi, Jun 11, 2015.

1. xosmi Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    So, i just found a pretty old start to a d&d inspired story i started off like 10 years ago, but never did anything with.
    Mind you, i wrote this when i was 16 or 17, so the writing is pretty terrible, along with the fact that i wasn't really that familiar with DnD, and i'm pretty sure i recognize some bits and jokes i plagiarized from a number of sources.
    It was meant as a tongue-in -cheek story, blatantly breaking the 4th wall at times and referring to the D&D mechanics, but i never did anything with it beyond writing the intro, and posting an earlier version of it on some weblog i'm not even sure still exists. :p
    still, rereading it was good for a laugh, so i thought i'd post it here hoping you guys could get some amusement from it as well. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Jun 12, 2015
  2. Spellbound

Spellbound Fleur de Mystique Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

LOL -- I think it's great! Interestingly, you've set up the character personalities so that they are quite distinct and that definitely builds interest -- it wasn't so much what they were doing, as who they were. I think you should run with it...build upon it and develop them further -- it could be a great story!

3. xosmi Gems: 20/31

Media:
    Thanks, i'm glad you liked it and got a laugh out of it. :D
    Even back when i wrote this i liked those stories that focused on the characters, I feel like they are what drives a story and creates the hook for readers to get invested in the first place.

If i were to run with it, i would rewrite this intro a bit, changing up the name of some of the protagonists for starters, naming the main one after my online nickname and the other after some people i knew/know was fun back not really original :p

I've allways wanted to do something a bit more visual with it from the get-go though, but as i am no great artist i never did, and my interest in just writing a long story waned quickly after i started focusing on other things.

Still, finding it again after all these years (the original document was from 2005 :eek:) has rekindled my interest in it a bit, so who knows, i might rewrite it and add some more to the story and post it here to see what people think. ;)

4. Spellbound

Spellbound Fleur de Mystique Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

I think you've got a good talent for writing dialogue, which is no easy thing. Even in that very short story intro, it's pretty clear to see. The characters pretty much jumped off the page. Hope you take it further. :)

5. xosmi Gems: 20/31

Media:
    I just might :D
    Changed some things, i notice i have a tendency to put down numbers where i should just write them out normally (1 instead of one, etc.)
    contemplating on changing actively referring to being on 1 hp to simply "nearly dead" as i feel like characters in the D&D universe would have no notion of hit points. :p

i'd have to flesh out the intro a bit with character descriptions, so i won't have to refer to their names before the lines they say as well in the beginning. :nono:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.