1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Items to Increase Int? (ToB spoilers)

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Vipact, Aug 15, 2001.

1. Vipact Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] I was just wondering if there is such an item that increase you int... not like the potion of genius. I have a mage (Multi-class with fighter/theif) that has an int of 17. I just figured out that you can't cast 9'th level spells (or can i?). I don't really want to start over i have already completed a rack of quests for chapter 1.
    I don't wan't to get Edwin because i don't need more mages in my line up.

Is there an item that increases your int?
    Can I live with out 9'th level spells?
    Do you think i should restart?
    Is there some kind of cheat that will increase the Int stat?

2. Mirkwood Guest

I don't know about in SoA but Imoen was able to cast 9th level spells no problenm in ToB (she has INT 17).

3. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Mages just need the high int to memorize spells - and for this purpose you just as well can use potions to improve your int. A mage's Int, other than a cleric's wis *does not* (afaik) influence the number of spells he can cast, this is totally level (and item) dependent.

As for items: There is an ionstone in ToB that increases int iirc. A lot of items improve the number of spells a mage can cast (mage-rings, Dakk'ons Zerth blade and some more stuff from ToB). And if you really want to have 18 or 19 int to enjoy the game: Get yourself some tomes of clear thoughgt via < CLUAConsole:CreateItem("book06",x) > with x indicating the number of loads, anyway I never used it and it is possible it doesn't work in SoA. There is an additional opportunity to improve your stats in ToB.

4. Laksol Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

17 int is not so bad, you can cast the 9th spell well from scrolls, besides in SoA mage can only learn spells upto the 8th and so feel easy at all, if must you still can use the genius potion.

I just don't known any item that can boost int, but you can use cheat as below:
    press ctrl+spacebar, type in "CLUAConsole:CreateItem("book06")", you get an int tome, itentify it, place it in quick slot and use it.

5. Vipact Gems: 1/31

So you can only learn level 9 spells in ToB?

Also I tried that cheat and it did not work. said it could not find the file.

[This message has been edited by Vipact (edited August 15, 2001).]

6. Laksol Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

You can learn the 9th spells at 18th level(in ToB), BTW have you added "Debug Mode=1" in baldur.ini--[program option]?

7. Gonzago Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

SPOILERS
    In Watcher's keep (ToB, but you can access it from SoA) you can up most or your stats at the machine of Lum the Mad.

8. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

This is the Baldur's Gate 2 SOA forum, so please no ToB spoilers here!!!

I still have to buy the game and don't wanna know anything about it before I start playing.

9. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    That's right people. The place to discuss anything to do with the expansion (and yes that includes Watcher's Keep since you do NOT have it unless you bought ToB) is in the ToB forum and not here.

I know this seems to confuse a lot of you (or are you just being stubborn?) but try not to reference anything that you wouldn't know about unless you installed the expansion in this forum.

I've edited the topic to show that you people couldn't control yourselves. ;)

[This message has been edited by Blackthorne TA (edited August 15, 2001).]

10. Rangstrom Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Since some players are going solo without any magic at all, you can obviously get along without level 9 spells. Right now I'm running through with a team of losers(the npcs most people avoid) so Haer Dalis is my magical powerhouse. So far so good.

11. Vipact Gems: 1/31

Laksol i did add Debug Mode=1 in baldur.ini and in the program option section.
    But there was an error saying that file could not be found. Maybe you can only do it int baldur's gate 1. maybe it is because windows 2000 is screwing my game(I doubt it)

anyway it doesent matter i don't need to cheat

12. cotman68 Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I had the same issue-I was using imoen as my main mage.. with aerie.. and then I thought 'drat.. I will never get 9th level spells in my book.. etc.' as per AD and D rules.. BUT

in SoA and ToB--you CAN memorize 9th level spells with 17 int... (imoen can)

13. Thorr Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

It's not a problem with the INT, in SOA the problem is the exp cap, who doesn't permit to memorise 9'th level spells.
    I remove the cap (I play solo, I think I deserve the exp I gain so don't blame me) and my mage/thief could easily use 9'th level spells. The INT more than 18 was usefull when I want to learn more spells than 18 per level, and I drinked a potion of genius and did that.
    It could be more interesting if the power of a spell (damage done, length of a spell) would be corelated with the INT.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.