1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Durlag's Chess Game

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by Mithrilhammer, Sep 6, 2000.

1. Baronius

Baronius Mental harmony dispels the darkness ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Cloudkill, Stinking Cloud, Fireball...
    Make sure to keep your summoned creatures away from the Cloudkill effect...
    (Cloudkill kills one strong enemy instantly, I cannot remember which one though)

2. Maettt Flaqq Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

This topic is OLD...

[Don't bother to post if you have nothing of any use to contribute. Everyone can see the topic's old.] -Tal

[ March 31, 2004, 18:35: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

3. david w Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

I'm actually following this topic with anticipation just to see how long it is before one of the mods steps in and shuts it down for being too old.

4. Scot

Scot The Small One Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I cleaned out the Durlag's Tower area south of Gullykin before chapter four and didn't find any chess game. I found a succubus, several basilisks on top of the tower, and some ghouls and ghasts, but no chess game. Now on my world map I can see Ungoths Beard, but I haven't been there yet. Will I find another Durlag's Tower somewhere else or will there be more at the old Durlag's Tower when I go back?

I found a bunch of spiral staircases in the tower going up, but no staircases going down into a dungeon.
    What am I missing?

5. david w Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

In one of the levels (one down from the entrance I think) there's a hidden door in the northwest corner which leads down to Durlag's Tower proper. The chess game is down there, as well as the demonknight.

6. Trminator Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Veteran

The tower you're thinking of is Ramazith's Tower.. That's the crazy mage, too..

7. Scot

Scot The Small One Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Wow! I just finished clearing out all of Durlag's Tower.

I agree, that is one big ass dungeon complex. I can't imagine anyone soloing it without a thief, you'd just get crushed, pinholed, and burned to a crisp. Even with a thief soloing, or fighter-thier or F/M/T, I think it would be very difficult. Many times my whole party got beat to a pulp by packs of greater ghouls, and we were all around 7th or 8th level.

The chess game I found particularly hard. I had to do it many times before getting through it without getting anyone killed. Jaheirra kept getting whacked.

Finally I just let loose with two fireballs from Edwin and my cleric/mage, three other characters with potions of explosions, then two more fireballs for good measure, then I only had to mop up the few remaining peices who were running around in yellow circles.

The Greater Wyverns were also pretty hard to kill.

All of this left me dreading the Demonknight, so when I got to him, I really buffed up, three fighters with giant strenght, heroism, and invulnerability, haste, protection from evil, the works. I was kind of disappointed when the Demonknight exploded into bits in the first round. I thought he would be a little harder after all the hell I went through to get to him.

Oh well, it was a really kick ass dungeon.

8. Frog Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Veteran

Don't worry too much. Theres a way harder demon being summoned by a freakish cult back at Ulgoth's Beard.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.