1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The game is coming out today and I just preordered

Discussion in 'Pillars of Eternity' started by Morgoth, Mar 26, 2015.

1. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    Why did I preorder? because I couldn't resist the miniature giant space piglet...

I'll try to play the game tonight and get some first impressions, I really do hope that it's the new BG.

2. Keneth Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
  3. The_Curt_Jester Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

By the time my internet downloads the game (after I get the key) I think the bug fixes will be done!

4. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    And then you'll have to download it again for the updated version. :p

5. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Just had a quick play at work, and first impressions are very good. Interface is great and will be immediately familiar to BG/IWD players, but much less clunky and more streamlined.

6. Shardnax Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Veteran

Ditto, it would be nice if the interaction menu didn't eat the screen though. I played for a few hours last night and while I'm not overly fond of the mechanics I've been having fun and they work. The only thing I haven't cared for so far is some random swears that didn't need to happen and felt out of place.

7. The_Curt_Jester Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

I've found that in many modern games, swears are thrown in solely for the sake of adding them.

8. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I've only had the chance to play for a few hours, but so far the game looks fantastic.

Too bad I will have so little time for gaming for the foreseeable future.

9. Scot

Scot The Small One Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I'm sure that it is here somewhere in all the stickies, but I can't find it. Way back when I contributed to the kickstarter fund through sorcerers place. How do I get my key now?
    Thanks.

10. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Send a PM to Tal titled PoE key.

11. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Uploading now. Guess I'll be playing in about 5 hours....that is so sad....

12. Scot

Scot The Small One Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

so I got the key from Tal, and I have an obsidian account, but I can't figure out how to connect the key to the account. Any tips?

---------- Added 0 hours, 43 minutes and 8 seconds later... ----------

okay, I figured it out with STEAM.

13. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Played a few hours of PoE. Wow! So far I can only say...."ohhhh yeahhhh!"

Created a Human Meadowfolk? Paladin. Battle Axe and Shield. Looks like lots of build options. Dialogue and story seem epic.

---------- Added 0 hours, 1 minutes and 38 seconds later... ----------

Screw RL Marc. Dive in. :p

14. Hugin Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I played 14 hours already, according to steam. I've had no crashes, no major bugs.
    But lot's of minor bugs, and tonnes of things that could be improved. Overall a fine job by Obsidian, I had not expected the game to be this good.

15. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Trust me, there's a part of me that would love nothing more than to do exactly that.

16. Blades of Vanatar

Twice when starting the game and trying to load the quicksave it has crashed on me. Several times when trying to save the screen freezes. Took me a while to find the stinking manual file.

Gameplay itself is pretty good. I love the background depth of your character.

There is a bit of adult language. Which I normally love. But I was hoping to introduce my 7 yr old daughter to the game. Looks like that will not happen.

17. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    I've never quite understood why some parents are so reprehensive about exposing their children to "adult" themes. In my experience, that just gives them an unhealthy relationship with cursing, drugs, violence, nudity, sex, etc. later in their lives. Once they're old enough for school, they'll be exposed to all that one way or another. Isn't it better to teach them about such things early and in a controlled environment?

But anyway, I don't think a seven year old is gonna suffer any emotional scarring or start making sailors blush simply from playing a slightly more mature fantasy game.

18. ConjurerDragon

ConjurerDragon Ich dien ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Games are rated for a reason just like movies:
    http://www.esrb.org/ratings/synopsi...of Eternity&searchkeyword=Pillars of Eternity

Teaching children about something is not the same as having them watch or play M rated material alone.

19. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    Yeah, and I've always found that those ratings are complete bull.

I'm not saying children should be exposed to the full reality of adult life without any oversight. I'm just saying that I find keeping them in a bubble counter-productive.

There might be such a thing as "the right time", but if there is, it should probably be sooner and hands-on, when the children are still impressionable, rather than later when you can no longer prevent it and they hate you for trying or they develop weird aversions to everything, including their own bodies.

But yeah, we're getting off topic here and I don't want to step on anyone's toes. People are free to raise their children as they please. We all [****] 'em up one way or another. :p

[Let the filter do its thing please. :)] - Beren

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2015
  20. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

I didn't really mind the swearing, it wasn't particularly OTT. There's been a lot more of that in games recently: Mass Effect, Dragon Age Inquisition, Wasteland 2...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.