1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Diablo II Single Player Thread - 3

Discussion in 'Diablo 1 & 2' started by dmc, May 27, 2013.

1. Keneth Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    Oh man, I haven't played D2 in so many years. My last playthrough was before I went on my last work assignment about 7 years ago. I made a pretty extensive EoU/QoL mod that made the experience much more enjoyable for single player players. I kinda wanted to update it for 1.13 when it was released, but there's just no time work on a project for a game I'm not gonna play anymore.

Good old times though. I decided to skip D3 entirely when I heard the whole "gotta play online" news. No modding kinda ruins everything for me, especially for a game that was nowhere near up to standards at release.

2. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    You take that back! Assassins are NOT worse than barbarians. And the IK set is super sweet. I mean, yeah, it is not the most difficult class to play (in that virtually no elegance is involved) and that you're further limited by possible barb variants by being locked into a two handed weapon. But walking around with a bigass beater (and the all black armor color is nice too) is worth something. That's the only high end set I've ever completed

The only real con of the build is that you are limited in terms of your primary attack. Double swing and frenzy are obviously not options with this build. You're basically stuck with WW. Of course, given those limitations and few synergies you'll probably end up maxing out mace mastery. WW, mace mastery, battle orders, and a point in almost everything else.

3. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Sure, try to make it sound attractive. I like casters. I like AOE death. Beating them individually or a couple at a time is great and all for Normal and maybe nightmare (although Act III is just no fun for the first half with a pure melee character), but I pretty much have to wait until level 76 for the set to really be useful.

Again, gah, I hate myself. Oh well, at least it's December and things tend to be slow around work.

4. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Taunt is your best friend. You make them come towards you, (obviously taunting multiple enemies) and whirl away. The completed set has ridiculous increased attack speed. I think it's 6 fpa so 4 attacks per second with a really high damage weapon. And there are no shortage of very nice mauls to chose from while you are leveling up, with the first ones coming on line before you reach the end of act 2 normal

5. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I think it might be more than a decade since I last played Diablo 2. It was fun for a while, but in the end it's just a giant grind machine. Play through the game once, then again on a higher difficulty, then again on an even higher difficulty. And when you're through with that, it's grinding for better gear.

I just don't see the appeal anymore.

For what it's worth, melee was always my favorite class. Though being a back seat driver while all your minions do all the work is pretty fun as well (i.e. necro).

6. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    Personally, barbarian was always my favorite class too. The only annoying thing was having to fix your weapons every 10 seconds at high levels (if they weren't indestructible). Burned through gold almost as fast as you cut down your enemies.

7. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Man, I totally forgot that item durability was even a thing in Diablo 2.

8. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    I managed to construct one Breath of the Dying on my last run, but I still had to fix my other axe all the god damn time.

9. henkie

Media:
    The worst thing about Diablo 2 is finding that great high end gear for a character other than what you're playing as now. Yeah, you can probably transfer it in a private multiplayer session, but I never could.

It's what's great about Torchlight. A shared stash that you can put stuff in that you find for another build.

10. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Huh - I only ever played it single player and I downloaded ATMA almost immediately. Shared stashes for all. I wouldn't have played past my first character without it.

11. henkie

Media:
    I had ATMA installed at some point, as I recall, but never noticed the shared stash bit.

12. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    What else did ATMA do?

13. henkie

Media:
    I thought it was a savegame / item editor? I could be mixing things up, though.

14. dmc

Media:
    I only use(d) it for shared stashing. Not sure that it is capable of editing. It made building characters possible in that you could save stuff for other characters, etc.

Heck, I used it to accumulate tons of runes so that I could make some of the more interesting (and ridiculous) high end rune words. Absent that, some of my builds would have been, ahh, shall we say less than useful.

A pure lightning sorceress would have all kinds of problems doing hell runs, but with a merc with Infinity, not so much.

15. henkie

Media:
    Necro modded with Enigma.
    Fun fact: if you teleport, your summons teleport with you. Teleport on top of an enemy, all your summons will hit it simultaneously.

16. dmc

Media:
    Oh, absolutely. My fishymancer used that as his primary (actually, only) tactic.

See enemy, teleport with army to enemy, walk slightly away, laugh, rinse, repeat . . .

He runs around with 14 skellies, 14 mages, a golem and an idiot.

17. dmc

Media:
    So, I wish to slightly re-evaluate my opinion of the barbarian. Now that I have him with the IK set (plus a Highlords, ravenfrost and some rare ring I forget what it does), he readily ripped through Act I Hell. I started him at level 76 and about half. Players 1 was a joke, and players 8 felt a little slow, so I have been running around on players 4 with little problem.

He whirls through the enemies and they basically explode. It sounds a little like popcorn. It still takes a while because the reach on the weapon isn't great and all of that, but it's fun. I punched a hole in the armor (no idea why it doesn't come with sockets) and you lose the ability to gain the fourth socket item because the weapon is 2 handed, but I really don't know what to do with the sockets I have anyway. I had to shael the weapon as I have no sexy jewels of fervor (i.e., a +15% IAS and +30-40% ED jewel would be awesome, but I ain't got any).

He really cannot emphasize MF because none of his equipment really helps. I think all of his items add up to about 35% MF (or maybe it's 25%, I cannot recall). So, I can give him a Gheed's, which will bring the MF into the 70's. His resistances are basically maxed with a couple of small charms, and I will be able to get rid of that once I get the quest bonus for resist. His inventory right now is four rows of charms because I have 2 +1 combat skillers, but I'd rather have a +1 warcry one. His switch is two echoing weapons of very little dex requirement.

Once I do my warcries, he's got about 3500 life or so and around 12000 defense or so. I've maxed everything but shout on the standard build and then I will probably continue either with iron skins or find item, as I do want to increase my chance of a second chance at goodies.

He's definitely fun, although I think the Auradin was a better killing machine (he swept through Hell on players 8, but he was an EXPENSIVE build and this guy is really cheap).

All in all, pretty fun.

18. dmc

Media:
    So, done. Nothing more to really report than the above post. It held through during all of hell. I think he mowed people down a little quicker when his idiot toted the infinity I built for might lightning sorc's idiot, as opposed to the Reapers I had been using.

Nothing close to a death, but no really great finds either, as, mentioned previously, his MF pretty much blew.

Time to put this game away for another year.

19. dmc

Media:
    I spoke too soon. Turns out that I completed the Aldur's set without knowing it, as I thought it was five piece, but it was four. So, I have a Fire Claw Bear decked in the full Aldur's set, plus a Spirit Monarch, T-gods, crafted gloves, etc.

Not too terrible. The merc definitely needs the infinity because of the sheer number of fire immunes in Hell. I'm on Act IV and a random mook dropped a Jah. That last change really must have increased the rune drops.

Almost done, and this time I really will be done for a bit.

20. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Have you now completed all the class specific sets?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.