1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Is this the end?

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by Sir Dargorn, Dec 30, 2002.

1. Sir Dargorn Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

My new computer runs baldur's gate. But because of the basic graphics, 640 by 480 looks very bad.
    The amount of posters on this board is going down daily and other sites have all but forgotten the very existence of the game!
    Could it be that the game is now truly obselete? Or is it a jewel in the crown of RPG's which will never fade or tarnish?
    As i prepare to undergo another epic journey of discovery on my computer with a character that i shall take throughout the series i am wondering... what is your opinion? Will the game be forgotten or permenently engraved on your hardrive?

2. Vermillion Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

[​IMG] Fotrever etched on any hard drive I have. It is a classic game that will never be forgotten especially as it is the first in the series and it's just so much fun to take a character through it all until the end of the Bhallspawn saga.

3. Veralius Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I agree entirely. Baldur's Gate is a milestone in rpg history and will not be forgotten, no matter how shabby it is starting to look! There will always be gamers who want to take a new character through the saga from beginning to end, due to the sheer scope of the game.

4. Atreides Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I think that Baldur's Gate will end up like so many other classic RPGs, it will never be forgotten and occasionally someone will install it, play it, and remember. I sometimes run old RPGs in the same sort of way (Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy, etc.) I do think that the more time that passes the less people will play it and only those that did will really appreciate the game and all it contributed to the genre.

5. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    engraved by me, forgotten by the lazy youth who likes explosions, 3-d graphics and will be too dumb to fetch the quarrel bolts an deliver it to a citywatch soldier of Candlekeep

6. Stormy Gems: 1/31

Sad but true. But anywayz, im just now trying to make a site about bg (and some other rpgs). Good luck to me!

Yep bit too late but who cares. BG will die for me only when i get a comp that is so advanced, BG aint compatible with it :)

BTW, playing in 640x480 aint so bad. The would be great even in 400x320 :)

MB black isle remakes the entire saga in 3d for those newcomers :)

7. Atreides Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Baldur's Gate in 3D? that's frightening! Though I have seen a disturbing trend in younger gamers these days, if it's not 3D and isn't mindlessly violent or obsen in some cases, they won't touch it no matter how solid the gameplay ise.

8. Kam Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Eternally young, it shall remain on my hard drive untill the day I accidentally uninstall it and can't find the CDs.

9. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

It cannot be forgotten, to forget such things is impossible, it is truely the jewel of RPG's.
    I knew it's worth as soon as I read the review in Hyper for it, many a year ago.
    Unfortunatly it no longer runs well enough on my PC to be worth playing. The sound is forever screwing up and the frame rate is horribly choppy.

10. Odyssey Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] Before BG - first of series of pcgames with ad&d rules were :

Pool of radiance
    Eye of the beholder -1
    Ravenloft
    Dark sun

I personally can't replay these games due to various factors ( awkward interface / very poor graphics / not many reasons to try different parties etc)

The fact that I can replay BG after 5 years makes me believe so far that this was the classic of all classics.

By the way I don't feel the same about the next infinity engine games , even about TotSC. And I was really disappointed with NWN.

Finally I suppose it's a matter of taste at the end...

11. ArrynMorgerim Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

I personaly like the paperdolls from bg1 far more than the bg2 ones. They were not ideal, but compared to elves bg2 they were great. That was one of the few things that dissapointed me in it the second game.

12. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Never going to forget this game!

It was my introduction to D&D and the forgotten realms, now my bookcase is full and there are like 10 games in my collection. classic it will be and already is.

13. Maertyn

Maertyn There's nothing I cannot embrace! Veteran

[​IMG] Yep, also was my introduction to roleplaying games! I will never forget it but won't play it anymore, either (800x600 patch would be appreciated!)...

14. Sniper Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Well, I've just bought the game for my brother (it was in a 3 game set) and i can assure you, he loved BGII, so it is very safe to assume, that we have another BG I supporter amongst us. Though not nesessarily (sp) in board spirit.

15. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Baldur´s Gate will not "die"; it just becomes emulated like old Atari, Zink (?), SNES, NES...etc...games. When we have Athlon XXX / Pentium XCII and broadbands of 200 MB, we take our favorite ePCe emulator and start playing our old-time classics -BG among them.

Btw: you should try Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy III/VI if you haven´t done so already -just buy it from some retro-game shop... ;)

Actually the graphics are quite decent. Just turn on the windowed mode and vôila! Tolerable look! Bigger problem is the dumb Al: just couple of weeks ago I reached the Duchal Palace and the fight, against greater doppelangers, got on my nerves so much that I deleted the whole damn game from my HD. After that I had a strange itch to make a frizbee...

[ January 02, 2003, 19:49: Message edited by: Virne ]

16. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Ach, I have just had to endure the greatest insult about this game! It pains me to repeat it but we faithful must know of how munchikins are slandering the good name of this game.
    Some fool rang me up today and the conversation came around to BG, and he was saying how great TOB is. Well I said how much better BG is than TOB, And he said it was boring! He said that everything was too weak after playing SOA and TOB! The horror!
    So it seems that this game shall not be cherished and loved by all.
    Well, that was a fun off topic rant

17. Vermillion Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

[​IMG] Please say did the sarcastic duh kobolds are weak against a party of level 30 something adventurers! Then tell him to play BG again, and record it and post the vid. It''ll be funny I'm sure because he'll be thinking that everrything is weak against his party ;) . Roast adventurer any ettercaps? Or Daemon knights? ;) Off topic rant over.

I can't see BG being played emuleted by me, unless Microsoft do something really mad like XP only worse and new operating systems on computers will never run older applications. Eve if they do do that, I'll have enough spare parts to have the Bhallspawn Saga PC ;) That is my dream, do not kill it :p .

18. Bhaalspawn Gems: 1/31

For me Baldurs Gate I and II with Throne of Bhaal are best D&D computer games I ever played.On Amiga Pool of Radiance in the old days was excellent.I like Icewind Dale also but I dont like Neverwinter Nights and Morrowind.
    Baldurs Gate saga has excellent story and playability.
    I especially liked Throne of Bhaal-one of the rare games where you can be an evil character which triumphs in the end :) Ever more you become a god :)
    Baldurs Gate has very good developed NPCs.
    Korgan and Jansen are my favourites in the BG II.
    Jaheira and Keldorn and similar good guys are boring at least to me.
    My player character is always the same-Lawful Evil Necromancer.
    Regards

19. Aces Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] I think the only way this game will die is when they make PCs so fast and advanced they won't run games from the 90s at all.

Figure: 2008-10 P6; 10.0 Ghz; 2048 MB RAM; 1000 GB Hard drive; 512 MB graphics cards

Windows XP3 with graphics so powerful it won't be able to play old games.

20. Sadistic Butcher Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Well, I just replayed BG1 again. Graphics and slower character movement speed are the only things I didn't like. Overall I think the story is better than BG2(chapter cut scenes tell you what's going to happen before it even does!). And the plot isn't as linear, you can usually access most areas of the game, no matter what chapter your in.

Plus the fact that you can import your character into BG2. Which will mean as long as I play BG2, I'll play BG1 as well. Oh and I hear you can import from BG2 into NWN and perhaps some other games...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.