1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Best Character Class?

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Ladiesman, Jan 6, 2001.

1. Ladiesman Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] I want your oppinion. What is the best character class in BG2 (for enjoyment and abilities)? What is the best race?

2. Sylvus Moonbow Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Are you a bgdungeon breed poster by chance? :)

Syl...

3. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    If you want the easy way out, make a powerful warrior type character. A Half-Orc Barbarian for example.
    I'm sure SOMEONE here can tell you about that class more than I care to.

Gee, another topic with powergaming written all over it. :p

4. Septic Yogurt Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Tal, he won't be able to shut up....

Sorcerer (at high levels)
    Monk (at high levels)
    Kensai D Mage (when he/she regains kensai abilities)

Since the exp cap is higher fighters of any breed can become amazing killing machines near the end but IMHO there pretty dull to play as.

5. Crawl Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Well, this one suprised me, but if you do a fighter D cleric the right way(forget the awful Anomen example), they are a force. With wisdom of 18 I believe, they have a huge number of spells. And can anyone say Crom Fyer dualed with, well, anyone of the blunt weapons in the game(I like some of the morning stars-but I'm sure Flail of Ages is better, or perhaps a good mace). Yes please. Point is, my characters abilities at max level really suprised me. Give it a try.

[This message has been edited by Crawl (edited January 07, 2001).]

6. toast Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Monk.

magic resistance, speed, decent AC (with 18 dex), quivering palm, stunning blow, avoid missiles...

a Killa.

7. Best class for enjoyment and ability for me would be the monk, although that's probably 'cause he's so new and unique to me. The monk always seems to be gaining a new ability every few levels, so it's never boring.

8. Snowlock Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

favorite race are dwarves because of their saving throws and their constitution.
    i personally prefer the fighting classes to spellcasters because i like the feeling to be more powerful than my enemies.i only get that if i can take on my enemies one on one(i had magical duells in the drow city,they're fun but i prefer hand-to-hand)
    the barbarian-class hasan awesome special ability,great HP and speed(especially with boots of speed) the only one faster should be the monk at higher levels

9. Sorl Guest

The one and only true killer is the half-orc palladin (thats why you can't play him)

10. Lukki Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Veteran

Conjurer
    Sorcerer
    Monk
    Berserker
    Cavalier
    Inquisitor
    Kensai D Mage
    Fighter D Cleric
    Mage/Cleric
    Fighter D Thief (longbow speciality)
    Thief D Mage
    Thief/Mage
    Priest of Talos or Lathander
    Barbarian
    Jester

11. Rasalgethi Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I agree with you toast, Monks are really powerful at high level.

I vote for Sorcerers too :).

[This message has been edited by Rasalgethi (edited January 07, 2001).]

12. Draco Vlasavius Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Veteran

Well I'll put in a couple of my thoughts as well.

I've played a Monk, around 11th level or so I restarted and played him again. I had 'learned' how to play him more efficiently and then went on to devastate Evil throughout the game. This class can be a challenge until you learn how to play them correctly AND reach 13th -15th level. After that they have few equals and after 20th level they have almost no equal. -At least if you have an 'unpatched' install of the game.

I've played other classes as well however I truly believe the most powerful class for THIS game is a Fighter/Cleric. The amount of Undead in this game is... staggering if you truly think about it. There is almost some group of Undead in EVERY area map of this game. If you start as a Fighter and then dual over to a Cleric immediately (or soon there after) you will reach the levels were you DESTROY undead with your TURN ability 9 times out of 10. If not 10. There are amulets that only Cleric's can benefit from that really help out as well. Armored up and with a +2/+3 Hammer (or Crom Faeyr later) they are beacons of righteousness and deliverers of destruction to that which is unholy. My Fighter/Cleric could max out to a -14 to -16AC. Depending on if I was wearing standard Full Plate Armor or when I occasionally donned the Red Dragon armor. Additionally I focused on Holy Smite, Bolt of Glory and Holy Word. No saving throw for the latter two but Holy Smite was my personal 'introduction' to most of my opponents. Before I got up close and personal.

[This message has been edited by Draco Vlasavius (edited January 08, 2001).]

13. Shura Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

I've never tried a cleric before, preferring to leave all the healing to Viconia or Jaheira. But the really powerful classes are, the monk, the mage/sorcerer, the inquisitor, the Archer and maybe the Avenger. The Berserker and Kensai kits are nice by themselves too. As for bards..I found them to difficult to play. For ultimate power, try
    Kensai D mage,
    Fighter/Berserker D Druid,
    Cleric(preferbly Lathander) D Ranger, Berserker D mage,
    Fighter/Mage
    Cleric Ranger
    Bounty Hunter D Fighter
    Or cheat and make a half-orc Paladin/Cavalier/Inquisitor with 19 in str and con.

14. Thaumas Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

If you play a Ranger d Cleric, you get access to both cleric and druid spells at all spell levels, due to a design flaw in the game. A bug perhaps, but they know about it, and haven't fixed it. The IWD expansion Heart of Winter will probably remove it from that game.

15. Deano99 Gems: 9/31

The Cleric class is a VERY KOOL class if you can play them correctly.

A Dual Classed Fighter/Cleric is a majorly powerful character with the right stats. I have this character at the moment wielding Crom Faeyr. WHOA! She is very powerful in combat... and has LOOOOADSA SPELLS!

Bards can be good if played correctly and they are balanced enough. I have completed the game as a Blade, so it can be done. Dual Wielding Blades can be exceptional fighters, especially if you give them some Elven chain... you can cast spells as well as getting a fair AC.

Other good class is the Ranger. Luv 'em... but then again you got Minsc and Valygar as rangers!

16. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    All people tell that the half-orc-barbarian is a real killing mashine. That´s crap. Hey power gamers, are you afraid of your enemies to send monsters like that into combat? Why not play a halfling-barbarian?

I prefer tom play human race, preferably dual-classed. I played dc fighter-mages, dc fighter-thiefs and now a dc fighter cleric. I don´t like to miss grandmastery. I fear I´m a power gamer too.

17. Wassup Gems: 9/31

I only tried paladin and berserker. And I prefer much more the berserker.

18. JohnnyV Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Like all questions of this type I think it depends on the players playing style. I played the first time as a kensai/mage, but I didn't play it right. I didn't effectively use the correct spells to make up for the lack of armor so he was always getting beat up (no armor and I used him as a tank because he delivered the most damage). Anyway I'm playing the second time as a paladin (and I didn't let the hottest babe in the game viconia join because she was evil, although it broke my heart). I like having an armor class of -10! protection from evil, call upon holy might. I like playing the paladin better than the kensai/mage.

19. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] For my next game...I'm going to try the Kensai/Mage dual that everyone's been raving about, or a Bard or Fighter/Swashbuckler.

Either way, I'm looking forward to playing someone less than good...

20. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

[​IMG] Best char? Hmmz.... an half-orc ranger. Str, Dex, const high.... proficy on: 2-weapon style, Flail, long sword and Warhammer. Crom Fayr in the Off-hand and Flail of the Ages in the main hand..... Helmet of Balduran, Gauntlets of Weapon Expertise, ring of protection + 2 and ring of Earth Control (AC down) a nice armor, boots of speed and get some real butt-kicking for goodness :)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.