1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

First Impressions?

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition' started by Nizidramanii'yt, Nov 29, 2012.

1. Paracelsi

Paracelsi Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    They are missing from the BGTutu version (along with the everyone else's extra dialogue) which might explain why some people haven't heard these little gems yet. You should check out Jaheira's/Xzar's. Just keep clicking their portraits (works on all NPCs) and they'll start mumbling random stuff. IWD2 had these too.

2. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Wow! That explains things... I have been playing tutu for so long.... it was a pleasant surprise.

3. Yoshimo's Heart Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

I like a lot of what I see and I noticed they added some magic weapons but I really wish they added some more magic weapons for the types not well represented in the original game. For instance there should be at least one magic throwing dagger that returns to the hand (boomerang would work) because there is literally no representation of that weapon group at all (which frankly is a bad oversight IMO). There also should have been other item types such as something for the helmet slot for the many classes that cannot wear helmets.

4. horgold Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I couldnt see any diffrence

5. Gregorovitch Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Haven't played this for years (lost one of the six original CD's, the play disk) but thought I'd give it another whirl for a pittance off Steam. Oh my, I can see why I loved it so much, but also some of the implementation mechanics that are unbelievably irritating and got changed in later Infinity games and NWN etc.

Love:

1. Level 1 start, and tricky too on one-down-from-insanity level. I've got Mask of the Betrayer going too (into act 3) and although its really good, I do get fed up with 20 zillion spell/ability/item options and all the buffing chores. This business of trekking out in the wilds with only a couple of sleeps and a spook and hobgoblins shooting poison arrows at you round every corner is what adventuring is all about!

2. The game was brilliant and it still is brilliant. I think I'm enjoying this as much as my last run through BG2.

3. The zoom out to give a much better view of the terrain :)

Hate:

1. Having to pause and go into the inventory all the time to change Khaled from sword and shield to bow. IIRC in the original game accessing inventory during combat was possible but could not be done on pause (and would unpause you if necessary) and I remember having him use two-handed swords for this reason last time I played. They fixed that, but probably couldn't rewrite the code blocking equipping a two-handed weapon in a slot if you had a shield also equipped. People must have moaned so much about this years ago and by IWD2 you had a really cool weapons set system - pity they couldn't have put that in this game.

2. Immy's hide in the shadows skill check failures necessitating hanging around waiting for a success for ages all the time - I know this goes away after level 5 or 6 or so, but I find it a real PITA early on. I dare say the skill checks are modeled pretty close to PnP version 2 rules but, you know. in a PnP game you might take all night over one encounter whereas you've got hundreds to get through here many of which can get you one-shotted if you're not careful - elite hobgoblins with poison arrows need to be approached with caution in this game. Zzzzzzzz :(

6. Lucina Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

So last night I had a BG craving. Too bad, because it hasn't worked on the newer OSX for ages... I've been out of the loop for awhile. (And I don't want to mess around with installing Windows on my MacMini, plus all the mods... I know it's no big deal for some, but I'm not that technically inclined.)

I did a google search on Baldur's Gate so I could satisfy my nostalgia with a few screenshots. Found out it's been re-released and it's on the APP STORE!?! Can't believe it! Happily paid $20 or whatever to download it, ran through the tutorial to refresh my memory and ready to start creating my new character. Relieved that it looks like they didn't change too much... I know some people are complaining that it's not really "enhanced", but I'm thankful because there is no need to change a thing, and I've always loved the way it looked, sounded and played.

I'm over the moon. And maybe a little worried, because I know I'll be obsessing over the game for months to come... but never mind. Buttkicking for goodness! :D

7. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    The Enhanced Edition project has certainly had its bumps in the road, but it continues to improve and is starting to earn its name. The most current interface (in the 1.2 beta version) is a nice improvement. The new prestige classes were a great addition, as were the 3 new companions, complete with their own quests, new game areas, music, etc.

BG2EE edition is scheduled for release in November, so you'll be able to continue the adventure (and the obsessing) for a good, long time. ;)

8. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

I just started playing and was disappointed at sound missing in places, especially when someone started talking.

Found this simple solution which sorted it out for me:

iii) FOR WIN XP:
    "Start > Run > dxdiag
    Sound Tab
    Slid the "Hardware Sound Acceleration Level" down the to minimum setting ("No acceleration")." (reported by @RomulanPaladin)

9. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Well, hey there Earl Grey, how's it going?

On topic, I see little reason to spring for this, but if it there was enough extra stuff, I might . . .

10. Earl Grey

Hi there, dmc!
    To paraphrase a famous song: Oldtimers can log out any time we like, but we can never leave. :)

On topic I'd like to pose a (rhetorical) question for everyone: how many games have you bought that you either never played or played for less than an hour and then just put it away?

These days I'm primarily concerned with the pleasure, as opposed to price, I get from my gaming and don't want to waste time on bad games. For EEBG I figured paying to get a polished version playable on todays computers and OS's without any tampering from my side would be worth it. That's why the sound bug/problem annoyed me; I found the solution but I paid not to have to spend time finding it.

11. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Haven't seen you around in a while, Earl Gray.

I normally always play the games that I buy, that is, until internet came along with Steam and GoG, where I've been known to buy games that I've yet to play. Except for the games that didn't work out of the box, like Fable or some rally game from way back.

As for BG:EE, I can play the original games (which work without any flaws) until the EEs become available on GoG and are on sale.

12. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Hey, Earl Grey! :)

I usually finish games that I start, but there are occasional exceptions.

13. Earl Grey

Hey Splunge and Henkie! :)

It's on sale at Steam for 7,59 Euro now (Nov 27-Dec 3). Nice timing. :p

14. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    There's a timer on the BG:EE site. Wonder what it's counting down to. Maybe the long awaited android version?

15. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Yep. That's what they have been working on.

There are a few differences between BG:EE and BG2EE. Like portait packages, classes, etc..... I am wondering when they are going to sync everything....

16. Nizidramanii'yt Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

Finally been playing the game now on v1.3 and it was a decent ride, though I prefer BGII over it. I still found some bugs after all the fixes, but nothing gamebreaking. I found Minsc's wife dead on the spot, but might've been a loose fireball, though that doesn't make sense as she's supposed to be down a level. O well.

I also became a fallen archer for allegedly killing a city guard. Of course the guys made is so there's no way in hell you can reclaim your abilities. Now I can forget about dual-classing Imoen, and have to wait until BGII for stealthing. Awesome... :rolleyes:

17. Blades of Vanatar

You can't use EEKeeper to fix that?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.