1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Bioware is lost for the RPG community

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Merlanni, Dec 19, 2010.

?

Is Bioware lost for the RPG community

1. Yes, be happy with shooting/action games (ports)

30 vote(s)
    62.5%
  2. Might be, they balance the border nicely

12 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. No, they still make good RPG's we expect to much

6 vote(s)
    12.5%
  1. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Try Dragon Age Inquistion. It has a Dragon Age Origin and Baldur's Gate feeling to it....

2. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    And last time I tried it, it also had a very "consoley" feel to it, which isn't good when you're playing with a mouse and keyboard. Not sure if patching has improved on this since.

3. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

The game is a disgrace. It is dumbed down. Clearly designed with a controller in mind, and with instant access to every ability (hence the 8 ablity limitation and the removal of the radial menu). It has a very poor villain. He is pretty much as passive as he can be. He sits there and lets you pick apart each and every one of his plans, and does nothing to retaliate.

The combat is arguably the worst. Rotten AI. the removal of the tactical menus. And the game is so easy that all you really need is the Barrier spell. Nothing else. People have beaten the game on Nightmare simply by casting Barrier and button mashing through every fight.

Enemies don't have access to the abilities you and your party has either. they have 2-3 attacks and a block of HP. That's it. Its like playing a Shooter where only the player gets to have a gun.

The game actually reminds me of how EA ended the Ultima series. By removing more and more RPG elements, and adding more and more action elements. Button mashing, jumping puzzles and so on. More action less thinking.

Bioware isn't Bioware anymore. The people who gave us the BG games, Neverwinter Nights etc have all left the company.

4. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Got dragon age inq. Stopped playing it quick. (See Rawgrims remarks)

Rawgrim likes this.
  5. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    sometimes I wonder if we expect to much.

6. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Maybe we do. On the other hand, the only thing that Bioware does well consistently is good companions. Gameplay is usually mediocre at best, except perhaps where the D&D license dictated the game mechanics. Story is usually nothing special either. Choice is usually no more than which reaction you would like to give to a given set of events - it has no impact either way.

So perhaps we're looking at it through rose tinted glasses and just not seeing the realities?

By the time Mass Effect came out it was clear that this was just a not very good over-the-shoulder shooter with some excessive dialogue that doesn't lead to any choice and a few RPG elements.

7. damedog Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Resourceful Veteran

Bioware isn't lost! One day they will see the light, drop the MMO crap, and make a Jade Empire 2.

One day...

8. Keneth Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    Any day now...

But in all seriousness, I think someone else should buy the IP and make the sequel.

9. damedog Gems: 15/31

Resourceful Veteran

I don't mind someone else taking the license provided they don't MMO it and especially don't turn the Closed Fist into an evil path.

I guess I don't mind action elements in RPG games. The biggest rule for me is that they don't come at the expense of RPG elements. I mentioned Jade Empire not just because it's one of my favorite Bioware games but because it's an example of action not interfering with classic RPG improvement, customization, and tactics. There are many distinct builds that can be made depending on how you level up your many fighting/weapon/magic styles and the action part doesn't make it feel watered down one bit.

When they went full blown action game like DA2 and forgot all depth they truly went to EA-level dark side.

10. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I always thought the action in Jade Empire was a bit clunky, especially in the beginning when you didn't have so many styles to use. There are definitely some skills (builds, I suppose) that are stronger than others.

The special combo attacks were a nice touch, even though the one with the shocking area attack was a bit game breaking. Or maybe because of the fact that they were game breaking it was a nice touch :) It allows you to completely breeze through the cannibals and bandits, which I find pleasant because I don't have to put too much effort in those encounters.

And then you get the Jade Golem form and then everything is a breeze. I don't mind, it's part of the fun of Jade Empire for me.

But I really feel that Bioware outdid themselves on the story and pacing in Jade Empire. It flows well and naturally. Not the standard cliched stories and plot drivers (go there, collect/kill/complete the four quests, proceed to end game or repeat until one can proceed to end game) that Bioware mostly has been using ever since then (and indeed sometimes before then as well).

It was also un-Bioware-like in that the good and evil choices were not the black and white choices that generally is considered good vs bad in games. Of course they messed it up in the end when all your choices for iron fist or open palm were rendered moot by one final decission, but while it lasted it was not that bad.

11. damedog Gems: 15/31

Resourceful Veteran

Storm Dragon was indeed laughably game breaking. Even on the hardest difficulty I defeated the final boss without being hit once by using it in an extended combo with thousand cuts :D

But if you WEREN'T abusing the most OP style, it was fun to try different characters with very different tactics. I played through twice on both paths using a large character who focused on switching from tiger style to dual axes and then going elephant demon form in a pinch.

Then I did a short character who specialized in wind magic, staves, spirit thief, and muskets. Jade Golem also just because.

I enjoyed how in every closed fist action you took there was always an option to try to morally justify your actions rather than just being the stereotypical greedy brute or sociopath most games are known for.

The gameplay felt smooth enough to me, but it's been awhile. I feel like it had some great basic concepts and it's a shame it wasn't expanded upon.

12. henkie

Media:
    The gameplay, or more specifically, the combat, felt a bit clunky to me in the beginning, mostly because the light attack is always the same three hits (ok, a few more for the thousand hits style) and the heavy attack is always the same punch / kick. It seems too simplistic. I would've liked to have seen more combo's of light and heavy attacks or at least a few different possible animations.

Also most of the martial styles are fairly static. It's entirely possible to start a light attack and only hit on the first hit because that hit pushed the enemy out of range. I'd say it's mostly an issue in the beginning of the game, but since there are some enemy types that you can only beat with martial styles, it does come back throughout the game. (Leaping tiger gives you a bit of extra range on the last attack that most other styles do not have, but to play the same style for every playthrough is even more boring.)

Closed fist was a refreshing change (within the Bioware universe, that is), in that the options revolve about having the personal strength to solve your own problems, and not sociapathy (pretty much all their D&D games) or simply being an *sshole (ME).

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.