1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Random Sports Babbling Post 2

Discussion in 'Colosseum' started by dmc, Jul 20, 2006.

1. Gaear

Gaear ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful

Media:
  2. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    The right call. I think most in the stadium could see there was an impedment of the runner -- it was good the umps saw it too. I wasn't clear on the "intent doesn't matter" part of the rule. I looked like the third baseman intentionally tried to trip the runner so I thought it would get called, but it would have been called anyway. The ironic thing is the runner was slowed from injury; had the third baseman just kept his legs down and the runner been able to step over without being tripped up the Red Sox had a chance to get him -- it was a long shot though.

It was an exciting way for the game to end.

Gaear likes this.
  3. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Go Canada! Hockey games like that are at once fun to watch and a source of tremendous anxiety!

4. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
  5. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

So excited for baseball to be back! Did any Aussies watch the Dodgers-Diamondbacks games this past weekend?

6. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Baseball. well, it is not bad. Nice to have it on while you are doing other stuff.

7. Beren

Media:
  8. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    I may be a Celtic fan, but even I feel bad for the Lakers on this one. Injuries suck.

9. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    At this point, Nash wasn't going to make a difference at all. The regret isn't so much the money they are paying him, it's the draft picks they gave up for him. The Lakers were going to be meh this year with him or without him.

I feel really bad for him though. Terrible way to go out.

10. Beren

Media:
    That's kinda what I meant. Mortgaging any future you might have had for an over the hill legend always leave you with a taste of regret afterwards. Especially so in this case, since the Lakers got rather less than they hoped for, which was a pipe dream to begin with even before you get into the injuries.

11. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Well, not really a pipe dream. The idea was to have Nash and Kobe with Dwight and Pau. (That was after the initial idea of Chris Paul and then picking up Dwight was shot down by Stern.) A healthy Nash would actually be an ideal PG for Dwight -- deadly from the outside, excellent assists, must respect him all over the floor. Unfortunately, Nash got hurt right away, Dwight was never really right physically, Kobe got hurt, etc. I don't think the trade itself was terrible in the abstract, just in what happened. The draft picks mean a lot less when the team goes deep into the playoffs.

12. Beren

Media:
    Oh, I know what they were hoping for. And no disrespect to Nash, he was awesome in his prime. I'm just not sure it was realistic for him to deliver on the expectations even without injuries, considering he was what? 38 at the time of the trade?

13. dmc

Media:
    Yeah, he was certainly old in NBA years, but he wasn't going to need to be what he was if things played out as expected. They didn't, he didn't and it's all irrelevant. Quite frankly, the Lakers are probably, as a team, better off without him at this point.

14. dogsoldier Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

It was all a pipe-dream. Kobe dominates the ball. There was no way that Nash, or Chris Paul for that matter, would get the ball enough to be able to maximize the talents of other players on the team.

Now with Julius Randle out for the season, the Lakers will be lucky to limp to a 28-54 record--and in that estimation of 28 wins I'm giving Kobe credit that he'll stay healthy all season long, that he will personally "will" the Lakers to more wins than they should maybe earn by looking at the schedule alone, and that "Swaggy P" will somehow mesh with Kobe.

All big questions, a lot on the increasingly decrepit shoulders of Kobe.

It's an interesting season, though. The Lakers and Kobe (what kind of drama, if anything, will emerge out of what is certain to be a bad season?), the Thunder and Durant and Westbrook (what kind of season are they going to have--because I have thought their team is too thin to win the title in recent years, but everyone else seems to love their chances--now half their roster is injured), the Cavs and Lebron (good, great, mediocre, what?), the Bulls and Rose (is he going to regain his form--or is the edge of his talent completely gone--and if so, what does that mean for the franchise?), the Knicks and Melo (when will they finally figure out the Triangle--and will it be before management tries to blow up the team again? 'Cause it's not really a very talented team, and some of their better players, like JR Smith, apparently are struggling to pick up the Triangle), all interesting questions and issues.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2014
  15. dmc

Media:
    From my perspective, the Lakers would be lucky to get to 28 wins, I would peg them closer to 22 at this point. They do not play defense, and, aside from Kobe and maybe Jeremy Lin, I don't think any of their rotation players would get any time on a playoff team. Boozer just adds fuel to the fire of defenselessness. Bill Simmons is smiling, that's for sure.

I like the Bulls' chances this year as long as Rose stays healthy. The Knicks are going to rival the Lakers for mediocrity. The only reason they are going to have a better record is because they play more eastern teams being in the eastern conference.

I am looking forward to watching Lebron play with Kevin Love. I watched Love here at UCLA and you could see flashes of what he could become. It will be interesting to see how that works out.

Again, the Lakers are unwatchable. Trust me, I tried to watch them last night against Phoenix and failed. I was flipping between the World Series (holy crap, Madison Bumgarner is a STUD), the Bulls-Knicks game, the Lakers game and then the Portland-OKC game. Watching Westbrook is kinda like watching Kobe from 15 years ago. I just wonder if he is going to completely derail that team by dominating every facet of the offense while Durant is out. He can actually do some real harm (and Brooks is a godawful coach).

16. dogsoldier Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Yeah, I caught a lot of the game last night (Lakers vs Warriors). The Warriors are loaded, but regardless, the Lakers looked bad.

Kobe is already, to my eye, looking tired, and it's only 4 games into the season!

17. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Hmmm. Would you look at that. Football, baseball and Ice hockey. About three years since the last NHL game was broadcasted in the Netherlands.

18. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
  19. Merlanni

Media:
    Because an American sports channel has put it on the cable here. I know that I can watch it on-line on various semi legal streams. American sports are hard to peddle in the Netherlands with the exception of Basketball. Extremely football/soccer minded. It sits in a package with a lot of football/soccer.

20. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Ah, yea, here it's the same for a few other sports. Since we've got a few dedicated sports channels they often buy exclusive broadcast rights for certain games so you can't see them on any regular/national channels unless you've got a subscription to those sports channels too.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.