1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Random Babbling Thread 119

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by dmc, Jul 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    It took me all of 5 minutes to come to that realisation, but I guess different people might view this differently. Didn't these guys ever have an internship or something to equate them with reality?

Or are these guys that also think that their master thesis is super useful? I was already glad that a couple of people could use the introductory parts of my thesis as a quick guide to radial compressors. Better than just sitting in the prof's archives for all eternity.

2. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I love spicing up veggies/fruit. Sliced cucumber with salt and lime juice, along with some hot sauce and/or salsa on it, makes for an excellent snack. You can also use mango, coconut, or really, whatever you want.

My wife makes some excellent fresh salsas and hot sauces, to complement. Heck, after watching her I'm not half bad at making them either.

Dice likes this.
  3. Keneth Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    See, that was the frustrating part. Back then, our computer science/engineering education was divided into two main branches, where all the "university" programs were focused mostly on theoretical stuff and never had to complete any internship. I am not entirely sure if the Bologna system changed that in recent years, but in those days it wasn't all that unusual to get new employees who had no idea what to expect. It didn't help that the HR department wasn't always that good at hiring the right people.

4. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    So I read something about Honey Boo Boo being cancelled and so I decided I should actually google this show and watch a few clips.

*cringe* I can't unsee it.

5. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2015
  6. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    Honey Boo Boo gets an unfairly bad rep. You know they basically saved up the show proceeds for the kids' college funds, and raised a lot of money for charity too?

then again, all reality tv is cringeworthy to the extreme because, reality tv

7. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    I feel like giving TOS another try now. I loved the show twenty, thirty years ago, but after trying to watch it a couple of years back, I couldn't even get through the first season.

8. henkie

Media:
    TOS? Star Trek? I couldn't watch through that show twenty years ago, and I definitely can't now. TNG maybe, though the acting, especially in the first season is pretty painful to watch as well (excepting one or two actors).

9. Nobleman Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

mmmm Natasha Yar

10. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    I love the cast from TOS, which is the only reason I'd consider watching it at this point (and why I was watching it then). The rest is just too painful.

TNG is probably my favorite series of the bunch. I'm a big fan of Patrick Stewart, and he gave a pretty awesome performance throughout the whole thing.

DS9 took a while, but after the cast got comfortable with their roles, it grew on me. Plus, Terry Farrell was there to provide some eye candy.

Voyager was nice for being different. Female captain, entirely different part of the galaxy, and I think it was the first one that featured full CGI (whether that's a good thing or not is debatable).

I liked Enterprise despite its bad criticism at the time. It felt like everyone had a bone to pick with the show. Don't know why.

I miss a decent Star Trek show these days. The movies are okay, but they're more or less just fancy visual effects, and they're spaced too far apart to satisfy my need for space sagas.

I'm thinking of watching Farscape again...

Nobleman likes this.
  11. Dice

Media:
    So I was having an early afternoon chat with a friend of mine at the lotto-booth in our local mall. Some guy who appeared to be in his twenties came over and told me I was the most beautiful lady in the mall.

The mall was pretty empty and the aroma of alcohol followed him as he walked away... I'm pretty sure I don't get to feel flattered by that :p

12. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    Life would be so much easier if I could get me some beer goggles...

13. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Why not feel flattered? Were you the ONLY woman in the mall? We you the only woman under the age of 70 in that mall?

Take is as a minor compliment and move on. He could have said something nasty in his drunken stupor, so you were still on the right side of the equation.

14. Dice

Media:
    lol thanks dmc. And I was not the only woman in the mall :p

15. henkie

Media:
    @Dice: Why not take it as a compliment? Not a very serious compliment, but one nonetheless :)

@Keneth: TNG was my introduction into star trek, and Patrick Stewart and Brent Spiner are good actors. I love that series, even if it is pretty awkward sometimes. Well quite often, actually.

Voyager was fun, too, some likeable characters, some characters that I really can't stand that much (well, one, really). But at least it made good on that intro from TNG: "To boldly go where no-one has gone before." That was really more apposite for Voyager than TNG.

Deep space nine I could never really get into. Too static, though the shape shifter was a cool guy.

Farscape is that muppets-in-space show, right? I really dislike that muppet thing, especially when intermingled with actual people.

16. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    I don't think there's any muppets in Farscape. Well, there's the pilot, who comes off as slightly awkward sometimes, but he's rarely seen. Other than that, they did a pretty amazing job considering the budget. Plus, I absolutely love Claudia Black, both as a TV actress and as a voice actress in games.

And as far as space sagas go, for me, Farscape is second only to Firefly. :bigeyes:

17. FenrisKaine Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

For too What Not Meeting a Quota

[​IMG] All I am saying is, I know what it means, I just don't understand what it means. Cats man. Cats.

18. Nobleman Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

the best thing about mild senility, is that I can watch firefly each 2nd 3rd year just as if it was "almost" a brand new experience.

19. henkie

Media:
    The thing on the lower left in this picture is also a muppet, or is this the same one as you linked as well and do I have poor muppet-recognition-skills? The only few seconds of Farscape that I ever saw featured this muppet so I moved on immediately.

I've heard of Firefly, but never seen it. What I see of it in a quick search doesn't appear too appealing either, but that's my very superficial first-glance-immediate-opinion impression.

20. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.