1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Jaheira is getting thrashed thoroughly

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Mayfair, Mar 7, 2001.

1. Mayfair Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] Heya,

i've been playing this addictive game for a while now (chose a monk as my main character) and my main problem is that though Minsc is my tank it's always Jaheira who gets beaten up - by everyone. No matter where i fight what - Jaheira is the first to get smashed. I got her some better armor, nice shield, no effect. Has anyone around here experienced this problem ?

2. Darien Noella Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Heh. That's one reason I got rid of her early on. I suppose if you must keep her, then try having her cast a protection or two before the fighting really starts. Let Minsc hold them back for a bit to give her time. That should help some. Also, make sure she's using a good weapon, and doing her fair share of damage in return.

My real advice? Trade her in for Keldorn. :D

3. Da Punisher Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

I haven't, but maybe that's because I have 4 tanks, including myself and jaheira, minsc and Keldorn.
    Maybe if you tried to use Anomen in stead of Jaheira it gets better. I don't know if Anomen is fun to have in your party, but maybe you should give it a try.
    If you don't like him, get Jaheira back, maybe the problem is over now.

4. Do you have boots of speed on her or something? That will get her targeted quickly. Or is everyone else naturally or magically sneaky?

Also, the AI tends to target weakest (read: if I only knew what it looked at to do this) characters. Is she comparitively weak in your party in her thac0 or something?

She is second-line defensive for my group of 5. If I was only 4, I'd still keep her. She's as close to a kensi-mage as you'll get outside of the class.

The swarming insect spell has saved my butt so many times, and her ability to summon fire elementals without the hassle of mental combat....and that clean, mossy smell of her hair. Ahhhhh.

Ahem. Anyhow, you see my point. She has some...unique abilities.

bgp

5. IronEagle Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Jahiera has a very nice Iron Skins spell, and with it shes alot less prone to damage than my main character. which right now is a half orc fighter... with a celestal fury and a +3 fortress sheild, (- 11 AC) and this is before spell hold.

6. toast Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

It sounds to me like you may have the AI on, but didn't change her scipt to something more appropriate for a Druid.

7. Neverworlder Gems: 7/31

[​IMG] I'm surprised. Jaheira was kicking ass in my party pretty quickly and my best melee/missile fighter (until I met Korgan and that Dwarven Thrower - I love that man!). Magical plate mail, a nice shield and helmet, Gnasher club, and Girdle of Hill Giant (all available rather early in game) and she is practically untouchable, does mega damage with sling (thanks to strength bonus) or club (specialized), AND can summon fire elementals and heal wounds. Never had to change her AI.

Maybe you just stink at playing her. ;)

[This message has been edited by Neverworlder (edited March 08, 2001).]

8. Max_Faith Gems: 1/31

I agree. I think Jaheira is one of the best characters in my party. And this is someone who kicked her out in BG1. I think if you make her into a tank, just add good armor and a good girdle of stregnth, you have someone who is extremely effective. Don't forget to add a bone club +2, +3 vs. undead, or a scimitar +3, and don't forget the +4 dagger, just for those pesky Liches.

The insect plague is probably the best spell in the game {enemy spell failure 100%} in the right circumstance {it really s**ks when you lose your spell...Blast It!}

All in all, Jaheira is pretty cool. She's actually the only one in the end that you don't have a dialog with when you go against Jonny in the Tree. I interpreted that as an understanding between the two characters that didn't require dialog. :wink:

9. Shura Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Jaheira's a great character. Being a fighter-druid, she can wear heavy armor and use large shields for an extremely low AC. Pump a Proficiency point into scimitars and use Belm or Water's Edge with a heavily enchanted shield. Put a strength girdle and boots of speed on her and you have one badass lady with great spells, Insect swarm, fire elemental and the flame spell I forgot the name of being a few. Bark and Iron skin are great for defense and every party could do with some healing magic. Besides, she's more mature than Aerie the whiny slut and less bitchy than Viconia.

10. Da Punisher Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

I don't like the boots of speed, because if you give your party the order to walk far, the character with the B.o.S. will be there much earlier. If there will be powerful enemies there, you can be pretty beaten up before your party arrives...!

11. Silroth Gems: 7/31

[​IMG] That's why I allways give the boots of speed to my thief, who walks hidden in shadows.
    As for Jaheira, if you have only tanks with Jaheira, of course she - being spellcaster - will be attacted first; nobody is afraid of some club swinging thugs. Put Jaheira in GOOD company - e.g. mages - and she will be much happier and live longer.

12. Deano99 Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Jahiera can be wikked with a deent armour class...

i can get her down to -4 with Full Plate +1... wielding a quaterstaff

IMHO it's the best weapon for her to use!

:D

13. Mage_0 Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I put some ankheg Armor on her and she is weilding that (???red??? ) club + 3 does acid damage I think , plus the +3 shield.

She can kick butt , with an AC of -7 , she is one of my tanks.

I am playing a mainly spellcasting party.

Raistlin - Mage
    Aerie
    Keldorn - my only tank
    Anomen
    Jan
    and of course
    Jaheira

[This message has been edited by Mage_0 (edited March 08, 2001).]

14. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Max_Faith - If you mean the dialogs just before you go down the stairs under the waterfall, I think it depends on the position of the person. The only one who didn't say something was Valygar for me (and I had Jaheira).

15. Mayfair Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] Thanks for your ideas, i must admit that i do miss the fire elementals indeed, but it's a lot more fun now that i kicked out Jaheira so that my line-up now consists of my monk (who's having a boots-of-speed-implant... very disturbing sometimes), Minsc, Keldorn, Viconia, Jan and Aerie - but i'm going to kick out Aerie as soon as i get Imoen back (i think). As to Jaheira's "unique abilities"... i prefer Viconia anyway.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.