1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Killing Draconis

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by David, Jul 12, 2001.

1. Farthy Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

[​IMG] You guys have not thought of the cheapest, cruelest, dirtiest, and funniest way to destroy the beast. What is it? Play mousetrap.

Arabwel got the right idea about using Jan, but detect traps, detect illusion, etc. is not as useful as SETTING TRAPS! I had Jan use up 2 time traps, 4 spiked traps, 3 exploding traps, and about half a dozen normal traps on the stairs. I then sent my main character to lure Draconis over and wham he was dead, and it really hurt too. This is by far the easiest and most guaranteed way to destroy the fool. :D :D

2. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

No. The easiest way to kill him is to put your pointer over him and hit Ctrl-Y. Or you could use the killsword. Sorry, but I'm just not certain that he wants to use cheesy tactics.

Seriously, if you have a problem with the dragon form is to do exactly what was stated above. Give your fighters all the healing potions they can hold, summon high level creatures (Planetar works best), have your mages lower his spell resistance (time stop works well for this) and pound on him. Have your cleric cast Greater Restoration if you start getting beat, that will completely heal all your characters.

3. RX2000 Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I'm playing through ToB for my first time now. As soon as I could (after Saradush) I went and did Watchers Keep. Demogorgon was NOTHING compared to Draconis. I just went in, and kept up the Breaches and Pierce Shields, and he went down easy.... At least Demogorgon doesnt freaking go invis every 30 seconds, and move around all over the place.

I am have extreme problems with Draconis. I have actually stopped playing BG for like 2 days now, cause I cant beat the son of a @$@#%. I get up all my summoned creatures and put on all my protection spells (dont you hate when some of the first ones you cast run out before the battle starts?) then I walk up to him. The mage battle is a joke. He is easy as pie, just toss a breach on him and make sure you have someone cast True Sight before going up to him (his first trigger has a Mislead in it I think) and he gets dropped like a bad habit..... Usually though, he does manage to kill all my summoned creatures before he dies, but rarely does any damage to my group.

Now the Dragon appears. This guy is freaking unreal. He pops up a Protection from Magic Weapons first thing, so I get out my non-magic weapons, and have my char (paladin), Sarevok, and Jaheria immediately go into Whirlwind, and I have Imoen fire off a Khelbans Warding Whip, then Edwin fires off a trigger with pierce magic and a couple lower resists in it. While they are doing that, the dragon is going invis all the time (making Imoen and Edwin lose their spells sometimes) even WHEN I have 1-2 of my guys with True Sight up, he still goes invis anyways.... Very annoying. Also, he wing buffets all my fighters to different places far away from him, then disappears and pops up somewhere else, so if I cast a Wilting near where he is now, he'll just invis and move somewhere away from it.

I am to the point now that I would gladly just plant traps and kill this @#$^head if I had a good thief that could do that. Like I said, I beat Demogorgon very easily, but this mofo is unreal. I am about to quit playing BG2 for a while and go back and try to play BG1 again, just cause Draconis is such a major pain in the ass.

4. Bang Gems: 2/31

Here is the way, I 've killed Draconis. It was in Profimode, without summoned creatures. It was quiet easyly. I just needed two potions of healing:

I let my group (Jaheira, Minsk, Anomen, Aerie, Imoen) stand just in the beginning of the aerea, near the stairs. My main Char. (chevalier) was protected with a lot of items, who gave magical resistance, including Carsomyr. (The MR was about 90.) She walked over to his human form, after I've changed her script into passive. He talked and attacked. His spells didn't do any damage to her. After he had used all his spells, he started to attack with his fists. My chevalier was immune against normal weapons, so it did not do any damage, too. She gave him Carsormyr, til he was near death.
    Then she walked back to the group. He followed, attacking her with fists. The spellcasters casted a lot of defensive spells. Essential is protection from acid!!!!!!!!!!!
    Imoen walked to the left of the stairs, Aerie to the right, and the rest did greater whirlwind and attacked, while Imoen und Aerie made breaches and so on. 2 or 3 minutes later, he was gone...

5. RX2000 Gems: 2/31

That never works for me, I must just suck. :) No matter what I do (3 fighter on WW, etc) I never can drop him before he starts wing buffeting everyone all over the map and stuff..... Like I said, he's one annoying mofo. ;)

6. Eirinjas Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Easiest way to beat Draconis

[​IMG] Do the typical buffs on your party, make sure you have as many Cloud Kill and Fire Storm spells memorized as possible. Give each character potions of invisibility, superior healing and boots of speed too, if possible. Keep the bulk of your party down at the start area of the map. Take your main tank warrior up to beat Draconis' human form. When he turns into a Dragon run to the topmost part of the screen and "hide" in that little alcove. The dragon will sit right by your warrior, mostly not attacking. Bring your spellcasters up just out of view of the dragon and cast the area-of-effect spells Cloud Kill and Fire Storm. He can't resist them and it'll wear him down. Even if he heals, it'll eventually kill him. Make sure he doesn't spot your spellcasters or other party members. If he does, have them drink the potions of invisibility and run to the bottom of the screen and re-attack him with the tank warrior to draw his attention back to him instead. Lure him back to the alcove at the top of the screen. This method is the easiest. The Invisible Stalkers are the only thing you really have to worry about for your spellcasters - just destroy them as necessary and keep the AOE spells on the dragon going. I read all the different tactics of using breach and lower resistance and that's all crap. It's frustrating and difficult to pull off when fighting this guy because he's so damn cheap. I was able to kill him on my first try with this simple tactic and my party was hardly scratched.

7. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    @ Eirinjas - While your eagerness to help out is admirable, I'm willing to bet that David (the originator of this thread) is no longer looking for an answer to his question. :)

Oh, and as this is your first post - welcome to the Boards. :)

8. Arcane Gems: 1/31

I've noticed most people using the pre-generated characters. I rarely ever use them, except for Sarevok and his deathbringer assault!

9. Uliarathid Gems: 1/31

I killed draconis with this party.
    Illana, female elf sorceress, lvl 28ish
    Jan, thief who spent most of his time unconscious
    Sarevok...massive kicker when regenerating
    Aerie more spells
    Edwin, freaking spell maniac
    Immie, secondary slinger of spells

10. sephethus Gems: 1/31

Absolutely none of these suggestions help, none of the guides help because they expect you to have chosen thief and not Archer like I did, they expect you to have traps or a member of the party with traps that don't suck (Imoen). The cloudkill idea doesn't work because the dragon just moves out of it. This is the worst encounter in the game and an impossible one to pass. Literally impossible. I almost want to cheat but I'd rather just quit.

I have my Archer
    Neera
    Jaheira
    Viconia
    Imoen
    Mazzy

I really wish this game were turn based and I could swear it was back when I first played through in 2001, but I don't even remember this part.

11. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I realize it might be a little late for this, but I keep this fight in the back of my mind even when I'm going through the early parts of SoA. There's a scroll in the Unseeing Eye dungeon that a Mage can learn Protection from Acid from. There's also places and stores you can get the green scrolls of Protection from Acid from. Most of the party members will have at least two scrolls to use, one to start and another as a backup should Draconis use Remove Magic or anything like that. The Wizard can make up the difference using Protection from Acid as memorized spells. Having everyone use Protection from Acid takes a LOT of the edge off of his acid breath.

As Ragusa mentioned, True Seeing or a Thief's Detect Illusions always helps to keep Draconis visible and ready to strike.

12. sephethus Gems: 1/31

Nope that didn't work either.
    I wish I'd known this before I finally beat him today by summoning a ridiculous amount of pets and using ruby and other spells that nullify protection in a trigger. I couldn't use chain contingency because I dunno how to program that for after he turns into a dragon. But time stop, spell nullifiers and summoned things helped keep him up against a wall where I could constantly launch arrows at him. I used normal arrows so that he wasn't immune.

13. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    That is odd because a dragon of young adult (or was it juvenile) age category is supposed to be naturally immune to weapons without at least a +1 enchantment. I believe old dragons and older are immune to anything less than +2, and I think wyrms or great wryms (not sure) require +3. I could be remembering wrong.
    Then again, maybe he's actually just a young dragon around the same age as Charname, but how is he so powerful then? Dragons gain power with age, not with levels like most mortal races.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.