1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Final Fantasy on PC

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Vhailor, Jul 12, 2014.

1. Vhailor

Vhailor Justice is not blind, for I am her eyes Veteran

I see final fantasy 7&8 are for sale on steam for the pc. Are they worth playing?

2. Paracelsi

Paracelsi Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    The graphics are dated, the cutscenes/CGI you can view on Youtube, there's thousands of FF7/FF8-related discussions/papers online and if you're a casual gamer then given today's games the stories will seem cliché or recycled.

If gaming is more than just a pastime to you though then do consider playing these games.

3. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    I enjoyed those games over ten years ago, but yes, the graphics are a bit dated by 2014 standards. Especially FF7. Keep in mind that FF7 is over fifteen years old.
    However, even though the graphics are the worse of the two, I think FF7 is the better of the two.
    If you get FF8, make sure you find the patches. There are a couple of annoying bugs, one of which can glitch your inventory and the cards for the mini-game that you can use to make more items.
    Fortunately, inventory isn't as critical in FF8 as it is in FF7 as you don't really get to change weapons and armor like in others.
    However, it is still useful.

They are still great games IMHO.

Another thing to consider is that the controls are set to simulate a game controller, much like Jade Empire. Having one that resembles a Playstation would be useful at times.
    However, I didn't have a controller, and I still enjoyed the games. It isn't critical at all, and you can play just fine on a keyboard. It just might be useful for a few mini-games. Not necessary however.

4. Paracelsi

Paracelsi Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I prefer FF8 myself, I liked the whole destiny vs freedom theme.

Btw, you can also buy FF7/FF8 from the Playstation store. They usually have a sale every few months and I bought my copies at around 3-5 bucks each. The main advantage of the PC version I guess is that you can press alt-tab and check walkthroughs while playing. FF8 PC version also comes with a mini-game that rewards you with very rare items. You don't need them to beat the game though.
    The main advantage of the PS versions is that they are PS3/Vita/PSP compatible.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2014
  5. Shoshino

Shoshino Irritant Veteran

Media:
    I've got them both, they've both been on sales on steam for under £5, for me it was a good bit of nostalgia. Just waiting for #9.

6. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    I didn't think there were any other single-player FF games for the PC besides 7 and 8. 1-6 you can play on Nintendo and Super Nintendo emulators, but I didn't think they released anything after 8 for the PC except for the subscription based MMRPG ones.

7. Paracelsi

Media:
    I played 9 using an emulator about a year ago, I still have my old CDs. Worked fine. I got FFX covered with the remaster version, which leaves FFXII. Sadly my PC is too old to run PS2 emus and my PS3 won't run PS2 games.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.