1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Non arcane party - help needed

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by karlstegger, Jun 24, 2014.

1. karlstegger Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Hi all,

new guy here. Have been browsing through here but can't seem to find what I look for.

I have played through IWD II 2 or 3 times (HOF only once) right after release and have just installed the game again.

To try something different than last time, where I relied heavy on arcane casters, I want to try a non arcane party. I am also not a big fan of too much multiclassing, so I want characters with max 2 classes. Finally I only want to take a run through normal - not HOF.

I would be very happy if anyone would come up with suggestion for a good party to take me through normal. I am not that experienced in character creation in 3rd edition rules so if you would be kind and put up the best choice of stats to start out with, I'd be very grateful.

I would like the party to include at least one druid.

Only char I have already created is a deep gnome roque/monk (old order) who I want to use as a high ac decoy.

So looking for best race, class(es), best starting stats (and anything else that might be important)

Skills and feats I will figure out myself.

Hope that some of you experienced guys will take your time to help me.

---------- Added 19 hours, 0 minutes and 22 seconds later... ----------

No help....hmm maybe I need to be a little more specific.

Think my party will look a little like this:

1) Aasimar pala3/fight x OR pala x/fight 4 (using long swords)

What would be best? and what about starting stats and order of lvl up? With no bard or sorcerer I feel I need a pala with high CHA to do the talking (yes I am aware of him turning down rewards but still need a diplomat)

2) Melee char (using 2hand axe or sword)- any suggestions? No monks please, don't like them in normal mode.

3: Shield dwarf cleric (Battleguard) 18-16-20-3-18-1 (using throwing axes)

4: Half-orc cleric (maybe Helm) 20-16-18-1-18-1 (using hammer or Mace)

5: Deep gnome Rogue/monk 10-20-10-13-20-1 (fists or small blade)
    (starting out as a roque on 1st lvl) - this will be my high ac decoy

6: Human Druid x/Ranger 1 16-18-18-3-18-3 (using sling/bow)
    I am a bit unsure if the ranger lvl is wasted - any takes on that?

2. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Err, you're going through normal mode, so you can basically role-play your party and make it through as long as you don't deliberately gimp them (and maybe even then).

1) Aasimar pala3/fight x OR pala x/fight 4 (using long swords)

If you are going to make this your diplomat, why not take advantage of the paladin class and do the latter? You're going to invest in Charisma, see what a relatively high level paladin can do for you.

2) Melee char (using 2hand axe or sword)- any suggestions? No monks please, don't like them in normal mode.

I like barbarians in IWD2. It feels thematic to me. 2 Hand Axe half-orc.

3: Shield dwarf cleric (Battleguard) 18-16-20-3-18-1 (using throwing axes)

4: Half-orc cleric (maybe Helm) 20-16-18-1-18-1 (using hammer or Mace)

I have no comment for either cleric. Clerics are better than fighters in this game.

5: Deep gnome Rogue/monk 10-20-10-13-20-1 (fists or small blade)
    (starting out as a roque on 1st lvl) - this will be my high ac decoy

I thought you didn't like monks?

6: Human Druid x/Ranger 1 16-18-18-3-18-3 (using sling/bow)
    I am a bit unsure if the ranger lvl is wasted - any takes on that?

I think the ranger level is wasted. The druid is going to be the closest thing you have to a nuker in this party, why slow his spell progression?

3. Acrux Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Veteran

1) I personally would only go 1 or 2 levels of paladin. But it really depends on what you want out of the character. I'd recommend of CHA of 14-16, high STR and CON.
    2)I love 2-handed axes, and almost anyone can use them. Barbarian or Cleric of Tempus are both good choices.
    6) Are you using any mods? Light of Selune would make ranger more useful, because there is some equipment only rangers can use. But I'm curious why the 1 level of ranger? If it's only for favored enemy, dropping ranger for an extra Druid level is much better.

Some other non-arcane ideas, for what they're worth:
    One of my favorite builds is a Deep Gnome Monk1/DruidX. The shapechanges keep the AC bonus.
    Rogue3/RangerX (I think rogue 3 - it's whenever you get uncanny dodge). A nice ranged support character and trap killer.
    Paladin2/Monk1/Cleric of IlmaterX - I've had fun with a character like this. The stats are tough to deal with because you need everything except INT.

4. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

6 Two-Hander wielding Half-Orc, any classes, can easily mop up Normal mode.

5. karlstegger Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

@ DMC

Aaah just thought it would be difficult without arcane :)

Well out of pure need I thought about making the pala my diplomat as I have no characters with great cha (and int) as I have no bard or sorcerer.

And no I don't like pure monks as tanks but this one is to be used as decoy.

And point taken about the ranger - will skip that, surely gonna need some punch from the druid!

@ ACRUX

Not using any mods, and since you agree with DMC about the ranger level, I will go for pure druid.

And a barb for my other melee char.

Then maybe I will switch the half orc cleric and go with the roque 3/ranger x, just to try something different. Which stats would you suggest for that build?

@ both

Thanks to both of you for taking your time to answer. Preciate it!

Looks like it will be something like:

1: Aasimar pala/fight x
    2: Half orc barb
    3: shield dwarf cleric of Tempus
    4: deep gnome roque/monk
    5: human Druid
    6: Human (or halfling) roque 3/Ranger x

About 1): when to take the fighter lvls?
    About 6) staring stats? And just alternate between roque/Ranger or go 3 roque first?

Last edited: Jun 24, 2014
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.