1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Fighter/Thief

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Frog, Aug 4, 2001.

1. Frog Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Veteran

[​IMG] I'm thinkin about starting a fighter(in bg) and then dueling over to a thief.(in SoA) If anyone has tried this plz give me some input. What should my stats be, etc... any pointers will help.

2. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

Well I prefer to start with an Elven Fighter/Thief directly, so dual-class from the beginning. Then everything will be devided better, otherwise you have change that your char becomes more thief then fighter or otherwise. For multiclass you must be a human and a human can get only 18 for dex and strength while the elven dual classed fighter-thief can get 18 for strength and 19 for dexterity, and dexterity is very important for a thief.

The good thing about your plan is that in the beginning of BG, when you're just lvl 1, it's easier to play with a fighter then with a fighter thief, in the beginning you will not level up to fast as dual classed character. But that can be solved when you take some tanks like Khalid, Minsc and the paladin or Kivan in your party.

But if you want to play a human and go for multiclass, (then go for it, it can be very cool) it ain't a bad idea, but don't dual class to a thief in the beginning of SOA, wait till you are a lvl 12 fighter. (A thief levels up very quick so you can start some later)

Good luck already!

3. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    You mixed it up marnix - only humans can dc (dualclass), and sharing your xp equally on two classes that are active right from the start is mc (multiclassing) and this is for the races other than human.

Otherwise your information is precise. Having played both, I actually think that the difference between playing a dc and an mc fighter-thiefs is not that big. Just mind that the mc halfling is more a thief (good race boni, good saving throws, dex-19 but only str-17) and the elf is a better fighter (have exceptional strength, infravision & dex-19). It's up to you - I favour halflings.

And as for human dc fighter-thiefs: Their main advantage is basically their "status" since they can achieve grandmastery. They are inferior in THACO terms to a mc character, but their grandmastery will help to compensate this to some point. Since they later concentrate on beeing a thief they will have "lots" of points to distribute on their thieving abilities.

As mentioned - the differences are mainly theoretical and I didn't that much noticed them in gameplay.

[This message has been edited by Ragusa (edited August 04, 2001).]

4. MrSerious Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

a fighter dual classed to thief will potentially have more hp than a mc fighter/thief as well, depending on constitution(which humans can have more of) and the level at which you dual over. I'd go the dual class route, esp since you won't have any problem finding a thief NPC in BG, and BG2 is so thief-poor.

5. Frog Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Veteran

[​IMG] Thanx for the info. I'm going to start a human dc Fighter/Thief. I'm planning to duel to a thief when my fighter is about lvl 12.

6. bongo tjockskalle Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

if you are planning for the long run I would wait until I reached level 13´as a fighter.
    That way you will get better saves and another 1/2 attacs per round.

Thats what Im doing

crilloan

7. corval Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

try using a Kensai when u get to BGII. they can do more damage than a plain fighter, and that will really help out when backstabbing.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.