1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Freaky Eaters

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Dice, May 23, 2014.

1. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    So I was browsing YouTube for something completely different and came across these clips from a series called "Freaky Eaters". I started watching one where there was this woman who would only eat cheesy potatoes for every meal. Personally I love vegetables and fruits and a huge variety of different cuisines - This woman was absolutely horrifying to watch. Her husband cooked her a vegetable and tried to get her to eat it and she just gagged and ran away crying.

I realize it's a psychological problem but it really upsets me that people can be like that. What do you guys think about this problem?

I considered posting this in the alleys but I didn't know if it was controversial enough.

2. Keneth Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    I find it appalling that we as a society support such individuals, basically giving natural selection the finger.

But hey, most of us will be dead in a few decades anyway, so who gives a crap.

3. Old One

Old One The Old Warrior ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

@Dice
    Got to wonder what set her up that way. It must have been something real bad to send her so far off the deep end. Lucky for her you can live on potatoes and cheese for quite awhile. Ask the 19th century Irish. That also is one of my main meals but I'm a person who eats almost everything sold around here.

4. Dice

Media:
    Well living on a food because it is your only choice is different than choosing to eat only one kind of food. I agree it is a psychological condition but I imagine she got that way because of enablers. People in the course of her life who never took the measures to teach her how to eat normally.

5. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Of all the vegetables he could have chosen to break her of her "habit", he had to pick a brussel sprout?!?

6. Vorona

Vorona Shadow-Whisperer

I eat a variety of food and agree that her situation is definitely a serious psychological problem. I'm not sure that "enabling" is the problem, nor that it's society's responsibility to force people to eat with more variety. I have certain food aversions that cause me to gag, so I have some sympathy for her, and I certainly wouldn't want "the society" to decide that I need to eat eggs all the time. At least three of my aversions (eggs, hot dogs, melted cheddar cheese) are actually a result of having to eat those things too often when I was little because we couldn't afford much else, rather than being allowed to eat whatever I wanted.

As for parents forcing children to eat: the rule in my house was that if a new food was presented, we were required to at least try it. If we didn't like it after that, we didn't have to eat it. While this may have led to "enabling" me to eat only things I liked, it did make me an adventurous eater in the sense that I'm pretty much willing to try anything. I've often been surprised by things I do like that I might not have discovered if I hadn't been willing to at least try it (escargots, calamari, and anchovies come to mind). I also often "re-try" foods I have, in the past, disliked, and I've come to like things (mustard, fish) that I used to hate.

7. Dice

Media:
    I use that same technique with my kids. I've always told them that they have to have at least one taste of a new food. As a result my kids enjoy a wide variety of foods. My oldest had a couple of foods he was picky about when he was younger but he got over it as he aged with my non-pressured but encouraging approach.

8. Keneth Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    I think instilling a desire to try foods is probably the best thing you can do for your kid. Anything more than that is just as likely to backfire.

9. coineineagh

coineineagh I wish for a horde to overrun my enemies Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    When you go on TV, you want to guarantee a full-on reaction. A half-hearted refusal is less entertaining.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.