1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Random Babbling Thread CXVIII

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by dmc, Aug 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Some say bad things come in three's. I hope not, two is enough.

2. Keneth Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    I am always amazed by the amount of family drama people go through. Familial bonds will forever confound me.

On an entirely unrelated note, I've just finished watching Krrish 3, and this is the first time I realized just how buff Hrithik Roshan actually is. The guy puts Greek statues to shame.

3. Silvery

Silvery I won't pretend to be your friend coz I'm just not ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    That's vile. The man looks like a stocking full of walnuts

4. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    I guess you have to hit rock bottom before you open your eyes. Apparently I am eligible for a three month medical leave of absence. Being laid-off is possibly a positive thing disguised as bad. I haven't heard formally back from the police but his school called and said he was told he is not allowed contact with me for 6 months. He needs intensive trauma therapy and hopefully will finally get the serious help he needs.

5. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    Eye of the beholder and all that. I have only the utmost respect for people who can keep their body fat that low and still maintain muscle mass. It's a worthy pursuit on its own, and Roshan is also an actor, singer, dancer, and a father of two children. Makes me kinda feel bad about myself for quitting my workout because I was "too busy". :shake:

---------- Added 3 hours, 52 minutes and 12 seconds later... ----------

I hate Google so much lately. They just keep screwing up things by "fixing" what's not broken. I'm so tired of having to rewrite my software every time they make some dumb change that no one wanted, much less needed. Makes me wanna punch some pencil pushers in the face.

6. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

Hello all! It's been years since I've been here, just stopped in! I stumbled across sorcerer's while looking for the BG2 riddles the Djinn demand you answer in the Circus quest. Hope everyone is well!

7. The Magpie

The Magpie Balance, in all things Veteran

Welcome back, Saber! :wave:

8. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    And your penance is?

The Colonies vs Russia was a great icehockey match.

9. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    Hey welsome back bra'

-
    I just rewatched Star Trek: Into Darkness on blu-ray. It's not as bas as I originaly thought it was when I saw it in theatre. It's just kinda, " meh ", not bad but not great. However I don't really like Sherlock Khan, or Kirk for that matter. The rest of the Enterprise's crew's recast are good though,

I suppose I could sum up my feeling for the whole Trek reboot like this: J. J. Abram's Strek Trek; watchable action Sci-Fi movies with Trek flavour

PS: OMG the lens flare ! enough of the goddamn lens flare how are they even flying that bloody thing with all those flashing lights.

10. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    I like the cast, but I too give the movies a meh/10. I never much liked the Star Trek movies to begin with, but at least the old ones had a TV series behind them to provide background so that the movie could focus on the subject matter.

All of these new age remakes, not just Star Trek, feel kinda empty with too much focus going into spectacular special effects and cramming the whole origin story and relationships into the first half of the movie. Even if they do manage to create a good character dynamic and a somewhat decent backstory, the rest of the movie falls flat because an hour is not really enough time to tell a proper story which one could relate to, and no one wants to make movies that run for more than 2 hours.

11. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    No Star Trek movie will ever match up to Wrath of Khan, ever.

Blades of Vanatar and Darion like this.
  12. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    The answer is 42.

On the subject of Star Trek movies, I haven't seen the latest reboot and won't either, probably. Never really liked the original Star Trek series, was always more of a TNG person. Voyager was ok too. Didn't like the gung-ho style of the original.

Also, didn't you know that all Star Trek vessels come equipped with flare generators? They could easily break warp 10 (or was that 9), if only they turned down the flare generators. But hey, nobody likes to work in light that isn't a blinding glare in the future.

13. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    The funny part about warp is that the theoretical maximum, at which you simultaneously exist at every single point in space, is supposed to be 10. But then they made an episode (in Voyager iirc) where it shows the future, and people go around hitting warp 13 with the same method of propulsion. :shake:

14. Silvery

Silvery I won't pretend to be your friend coz I'm just not ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    But that wouldn't make a good TV show...

Last edited: Feb 17, 2014
  15. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Well, obviously they've found either more efficient flare generators in the future, or they evolved beyond the need of them. Probably the theoretical maximum warp in the Star Trek universe includes a compensation for minimum flare amount.

Ofelix likes this.
  16. Ofelix

Media:
    The warp formula is actually pretty simple;

(F²C)/T

Where F squared is the amount of lens flare times the speed of light, then divide by treknobabble

sorry, I dunno how to do proper powers in... whatever this forums uses.

Edit: Cool, thx.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2014
  17. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    I don't think there's any superscript or latex tags on BoM, but you can always do Alt+0178 to get a ². Or do Win+R to quick run charmap.exe (or whatever the equivalent of character map on your OS is).

18. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Actually, it’s a bit more complicated than that. The correct formula is:

F²C/T*FC*FL/FD*O

Where FC is the degree of flux in the flux capacitor, FL/FD is the ratio of lightside to darkside forces, and O is the amount of thrust in the oscillation overthruster.

Ofelix likes this.
  19. Ofelix

Media:
    Ok, and now explain how Dr. Emmet Brown fits in Trek Chronology, or the Force for the matter :p

20. henkie

Media:
    If you science the science, then science.

Also, all that I learned from Star Trek is that all problems are solved by either ejecting the warp core or by using the reflector dish.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.