1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Affluenza - WTF??!!

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by dmc, Dec 13, 2013.

1. Drew

Drew Arrogant, contemptible, and obnoxious Adored Veteran

Media:
    Driving without a license is a crime. Driving drunk without a license is an even bigger one. An individual who does this can and should have the book thrown at him, whether his actions lead to an accident or not. Bottom line -- many people will get behind the wheel when they shouldn't. Hell, I'm willing to wager that most of us have done exactly that at some point in our lives. While most of us have likely practiced bad judgement regarding whether or not we are OK to drive in the past, most of us will also stop stop driving entirely after our licenses have been taken away. This is why I remain convinced that the vast majority of first time drunk driving offenders are unlikely to re-offend before they get their licenses back. The stakes are just too high.

2. Shoshino

Shoshino Irritant Veteran

Media:
    I think we can all agree that causing the death of another person is a serious thing, that person losses their life, a family losses a loved one, children lose their daddy/mammy etc...

As you can see from above British law can be quite lenient, depending on exactly how culpable you are a starting point of 18months for killing someone I'd say your getting off pretty well - to a maximum of 14 years if youre pi$$ed off your head, smacked out on crack driving a stolen car and killing multiple pedestrians... well, you really do deserve it.

I missed out earlier that the law also allows for mitigating factors in the sentencing code:

Offender was seriously injured in the collision
    The victim was a close friend or relative
    The actions of the victim or a third party contributed to the commission of the offence
    The offender's lack of driving experience contributed significantly to the likelihood of a collision occurring and/or death resulting
    The driving was in response to a proven and genuine emergency falling short of a defence

Not me, not with so much as a shandy in me, though I have been breathalised many times for "smelling of alcohol" but that comes with working in the night trade and then driving home at 2 - 4 in the morning.

3. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Here's a nice contrast. 8 months in prison for a slap causing no serious injury. Not to excuse what the guy did, but 8 months in a prison seems extremely excessive.

4. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    In a post-Zimmerman world that sentence doesn't surprise me. He is lucky he wasn't charged with a hate crime.

5. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    And unlucky his daddy isn't rich enough to get him out of trouble with the court.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.