1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The Hobbit (film series)

Discussion in 'Sensorium' started by fastfritz, Dec 1, 2012.

1. Gaear

Gaear ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful

Media:
    Well they could probably drag Frodo and company back for 6 more movies - the expansions to the first three (two more of each), made up of new material and all the crap that was left on the cutting room floor originally. ;)

2. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

They could make several movies out of the Silmarillion and Lost Tales books. Hell, the Silmarillion story line would make for great speacial effects.

3. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    The Hobbit - DLC!

Coming to a cinema near you next month! And 3 months later! And 6 months later. And...

:lol:

4. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    The only thing that would be good about the Silmarillion is it would be a great movie to go to if you needed to catch up on your sleep.

5. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Blasphemer! May you fall into the clutches of the Orcs and be dragged to the pits of Angband to slave for the Dreadlord and his minions for all eternity! BRUHAHAHA!..... ahh, you're probably right...:p

6. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] I think it says enough about the film that I can't remember a fair bit of it. Nothing stuck out except for a couple of scenes, which was strange as it tried to be quite overt in some places, a fair bit of unnecessary exaggeration or ill timed humour which unfortunately does stick out.

7. dogsoldier Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Yeah, same here. I remember being vaguely satisfied/happy when I left the theater. I don't really remember much or any of it now.

8. fastfritz Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Hobbit second part

Well, their claim was for part II within a year was just barely kept as opens on Dec. 13. The first part opened on Dec. 14, 2012. It seems so long ago I think I forgot most of the characters. I'm sure they'll snap back. See you at the flicks.:)

9. dogsoldier Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

So, I saw The Desolation of Smaug yesterday. I doubt I am letting any spoilers out, but be advised, I suppose I could be. (Is there anyone on these boards who hasn't read the book already and doesn't already know what is supposed to happen?)

Much quicker, more action than the first film. Thorin is beginning to look half-crazy (Smaug tells Frodo the Arkenstone drove his grandfather mad, as it will Thorin) and Tauriel (a completely made-up character inserted by Peter Jackson) is actually kind of interesting. (My daughter, who hates that there are rarely tough female figures in these stories, is a big fan of Tauriel). Beorn is present; not sure I feel like they did a good job on him (he just seems very different than how I imagined him). Bard is more or less like I expected him.

I wasn't particularly impressed with Smaug, though he's not bad. The Sauron sub-plot really threatens to overtake the film. Legolas is a one-elf wrecking crew, like a Marvel superhero with swords unleashed on the Middle-Earth, like a kid's munchkin DnD character or an 80s action star who demolishes entire armies without sustaining a scratch in combat. Partially because of this, the orcs have become ridiculous as threats or foils; they serve no purpose but cannon fodder and have lacked all ability to intimidate (there is a line somewhere in the movie, something along the lines of, "You'll never make from here to the Misty Mountain, there are orcs everywhere and they'll hunt you down and eat you!" which made me nearly laugh out loud). The orcs seem to serve no other purpose than to provide interesting and visually entertaining ways for the dwarves and elves to one-up each other in terms of their martial prowess. I'm not sure how many hordes of orcs have fallen by the end of the second film, certainly several dozens if not hundreds--and by the end of the film, a single dwarf has been wounded and Legolas has a bloody nose.

At times Peter Jackson (who also has a cameo) seems to forget that the film is called "The Hobbit"; I'd have to go back and watch it again, but I wouldn't be surprised if Martin Freeman goes through the middle hour of the film with no more than a line or two of dialogue. I'm probably overstating it somewhat. On the other hand, it shows that the character Bilbo has (to all but Thorin) integrated himself into the dwarves.

Parts were quite amusing (including some of the dialogue). The barrel escape was fun and visually astounding and funny, too.

The film LOOKS very different than either the Lord of the Rings or the first Hobbit movie. There are a great deal of close-ups, more than I remember there being in any of the films, including during dialogue, as well as a lot of hand-held camera work. Some of it is shaky. Doesn't have the "glowing," ambient feel that the LoTR movies had.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2014
  10. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I saw it yesterday, and overall I liked it, sorta.

There's the usual liberties with the story that I guess I have to live with.

But more fundamentally, yet another victim of Pirates of the Carribean Syndrome. Ya know ... ridiculous action sequences that don't even try to suspend disbelief in any remotely credible way. Not just this movie, but so many others for what seems at least the past decade.

It gets nauseating after a while.

As an aside, I guess that's why I have a distinct appreciation for the Hunger Games movies. It's not completely free of the Syndrome, but at least it's dialed down a few notches. You're reminded quite often that if the ball had bounced just a little differently, Katniss and Peeta could easily have bought the farm. Definitely don't want to watch Katniss do a 300 foot in the air ninja flip onto the Cornucopia, and then shoot ten arrows at once from a single shot from her bow, each arrow killing a dozen tributes at once, one of the arrows reaching President Snow at the Capitol and hitting him in the foot as a punctuation mark for good measure.

Sorry, but I really dislike that Syndrome that's been creeping into so many action movies lately. I definitely appreciate it when a movie at least tries to be restrained about it.

11. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Errrr . . . Legolas? In the Hobbit? Am I missing something or did they decide that they needed to appease the teenage girl segment of the population with some Orlando Bloom action where he has no business being?

So glad I am giving these movies a miss. Bah humbug!

12. Nobleman Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

I am looking forward to watching it soon. Nomatter how distant it is from the <3 books. Its my 3 hours of Zoning out of real life and just drifting away in amazing scenery and chuckling how they twist and turn the book :) Fantasy all the way!

13. Darion

Darion Resident Dissident Veteran BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I heard it's better than the first. Not matter. Good fantasy is rare these days, so not gonna miss out.

14. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Saw it on release day with my boys. Sort of a family tradition that started with LotR.

Yeah, the standard PJ liberties were taken, but it was still a fun movie, and a treat for the eyes (especially in 3D).

Looking forward to number 3.

15. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    As I understand it they are expanding on the original story and delving into what was going on at the time with respect to Sauron's return.

16. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Erm, okay, but IIRC, Legolas had zero to do with that, even by implication, in LOTR.

17. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Peter Jackson's reasoning. Make of it what you will:

Source

18. Blades of Vanatar

But obviously, after reading the book, Legolas wasn't part of the action, let alone a one-man wrecking crew. Nowhere, that I can find in Tolkien's writings, is there a suggestion of Legolas' age, which could mean he was a "youngling" during Bilbo's original journey. Bilbo was quite young at the time and by Lotr, he was ancient, well over a hundred years. I believe around 130 without looking back into it. But who knows....

I think Jackson has done a decent job with the movies, but things like Legolas becoming a super-hero is ridiculous. He was just one of the fellowship. Orlando Bloom shield boarding down the steps while firing away was dis-heartening to me, let alone the War Mammoth scenes with him as well. If he wanted a super-hero, he should of added Glorfindel in the flight to the Fords. A true hero if there was one still alive in the 3rd age. Not change the whole story so that no-talent Liv Tyler gets a big scene. Or at least make Aragorn into the super-hero. His fighting scenes were good, but Legolas was better in the movies.

19. dmc

Media:
    Hey now, Liv Tyler got talent, yo -- talented looks at any rate and a father who used to be talented. As for her acting skills, well, meh.

Can't see the Legolas thing in the Hobbit, so I will add that to the list of reasons I am not seeing the movie (not that it swings the vote any which way, mind you).

20. Darion

Darion Resident Dissident Veteran BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Arven's role was minor. Hence no talent requirements. ;)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.