1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Dual classing Yoshimo?

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Eyebreaker7, Oct 28, 2013.

1. Eyebreaker7

Eyebreaker7 Someone clean my litter box ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    What level is best for dueling Yoshimo to a fighter? I don't need his thieving skills so I don't need to wait for them to get high.

2. Paracelsi

Paracelsi Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I wouldn't dual him. The game already has around 7 or so fighter types and tactically speaking Yoshimo's special trap-setting ability is what makes him stand out as an NPC. He also leaves for a while.
    If you insist on doing it though I'd dual him as soon as you get him.

3. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    When does he leave "for a while"? Jaheria is the only one that leaves "for a while"
    unless you count the time when Bodi kidnapps your love interest.

Yoshimo only leaves the party in spellhold, and it's rather permanent.

Because of that, the time to dual class him is right before entering spellhold, but make him a mage and memorize infravision along with learning identify or sleep (although color spray and chill touch are viable options as well). Don't bother giving him any scrolls.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2013
  4. Eyebreaker7

Eyebreaker7 Someone clean my litter box ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I think he was trying to keep it s a spoiler in case the reader didn't know already.

When does Jaheria leave "for a while"?
    I've never had her leave.

And what do you mean "unless you count the time when Bodi kidnapps your love interest."?
    I've never had Bodhi take anyone except for Solufain (sp?) "for a while"..

Is this a joke? Why would I want to make him a mage just before entering spellhold? And why the crappy list of spells?

5. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    If you are romancing Jaheira, there is a point where she leaves your party on her own to go to the harpers. Also, if you have a romance going far enough in Chapter 6 when you confront Bodhi in the cemetery, she steals away with that person and there is a little mini quest afterwards to restore the person.

As for the Yoshimo bit, I assume the point was to get some sort of experience for the rest of your party out of dualling him to mage, but I cannot really answer that for SlickRCBD. I really see no point of ever dualling him.

6. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I think Slick is saying if you dual Yosh to a newly minted mage with crap spells to memorize just before the betrayal, he will be a pushover when you fight him. :)

7. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Hmmm. I didn't consider that aspect of it, because I assumed that the Yoshimo you fought was a different file than the one you dropped from the party. If it's the same file, which I would tend to doubt, then, OK, that makes some sense.

8. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I'd heard of dualling Yoshimo immediately before going into the asylum ... seemed like the wimpy way to go though.

9. Paracelsi

Paracelsi Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I was being oblique yeah. You do meet Yoshi again, he doesn't just leave and disappear forever.

10. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    You guys were correct that the idea was to make Yoshimo a pushover. As a newly minted mage with useless spells, he's no threat to you. He'll even waste a round casting sleep on characters over level 5. He doesn't bother casting infravision however.
    Since he hasn't reactivated his thief levels, he'll have a THAC0 of 20 and can't use his magic katana.

11. Kieran Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

The Yoshimo fight isn't that hard though, is it? Plus if you're that worried about that fight you could just not take him along at all.

I find it quite annoying that the only character you can dual-class isn't worth it in any way. I wish Nalia was just a plain thief that you could dual-class later. The game has no decent thieves apart from Yoshimo (who you can only use for the first half) and Jan (who's fine but it gets boring using him after a while).

12. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    It can be, depending on what Yoshimo has equipped. He rarely can defeat the entire party, but I had him equipped with a ring of invisibility and a bunch of potions of invisibility in the quick items slot along with Celestial Fury and the best armors he could handle.

I don't recall which party this happened with, but he managed to kill my cleric with a backstab while she was casting true sight, and was the only party member that had true sight memorized or could cast Raise Dead. Then he wiped out two other members by making good use of the potions of invisibility and backstabs.
    Being willing to blow my entire stack of consumable Potions of Invisibility on a single battle made him a very tough fight. I've used the ease-of-use mod or its successor from the start, so he had 20-some potions to use against me.
    I wound up reloading and de-equipping him before he left. No more "So long, and thanks for all the gear"
    Funny thing was, this was with the normal AI, not any of the difficulty increasing ones.
    After this, I always made sure to keep an extra True Sight scroll around, along with a raise dead scroll if I had anybody else that could cast it (like a Paladin-type).

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.