1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Bye bye BoM :(

Discussion in 'Sorcerous Sundries' started by Barmy Army, Nov 11, 2013.

1. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    It would seem the Boards are so dead that even Tal has given up on them. Hmm...

2. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    Now that is frightening. I hope I don't get a 404

3. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I kind of doubt that he's given up. He's put too much of himself into these boards over many, many years. Maybe he's on a much needed vacation. Or maybe seeing a thread like this just bums him out enough that he's not ready to comment. I get that.

When my wife told me she was pregnant with our third, I didn't talk about it with her, or with anyone, for a good month (clearly I had not planned on a third)

On another topic - BG2EE is now live! A little ahead of schedule, even.

4. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Yep. He got sick of that name and asked us all for suggestions on an appropriate new name. I suggested "Barmy Army" because it summed him up completely.

Shame he hasn't even commented on his own thread though.

Master of Nuhn likes this.
  5. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    According to his profile, Tal hasn't logged in since Nov 3. So presumably (hopefully!) on vacation.

6. Paracelsi

Paracelsi Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    He's been at the codex.

7. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    It's funny that threads like this generate so much in the way of responses, mostly from the members who have been around longer.

There has definitely been much less in the way of daily traffic, but I don't see why that means someone needs to, basically, drop a website from their rotation. Interest and traffic ebbs and flows, especially during what is clearly a lull in the main focus of this site (good CRPG's).

We're here -- for as much or as little as people want to contribute and visit.

8. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Facta non verba, I suppose. :) Being born in Rotterdam, I can live with this. BA would make a good Feyenoord supporter, I bet. ("No words, but deeds" is their motto. As it is for many Rotterdam people/organizations.)

9. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I wonder if he will come out of hiding if England beat New Zealand in the rugby tomorrow morning.

10. Darion

Darion Resident Dissident Veteran BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Maybe Sorcerer's Place should lower its standard then :D

and include 'average' CRPG's :cool:

11. Mesmero

Mesmero How'd an old elf get the blues?

I can't remember whether it was here or elsewhere (Tal might have said it once), but those who announce their departure are usually back in no-time, while those who slip away quietly are usually gone for good.

12. Harbourboy

It wouldn't matter to me what games were on here, because I don't have time to play computer games at all these days.

13. The Magpie

The Magpie Balance, in all things Veteran

Well, time is an issue; the more it goes on, the less of it you seems to have, I find. Also, the identikit wikis and official sites have that convenience factor when it comes to new releases that SP doesn't have. There are so many experts here on the IE games, but how much new is there under that particular sun? Later games from BioWare (or whoever) haven't grabbed the community in the same way, so we've dispersed, so there isn't that "critical mass" of knowledge that sees queries answered quickly.

I came here for portraits, mods and advice on BG1 and ended up contributing with advice & even modding (well, kinda :p). But BG was a different gaming generation, and even a single player D&D RTS/RPG revival is unlikely to return things to the way it used to be, because people have moved on. People need to have time to generate the content to give people a reason to come, but the fact that many long term users are still around is a testament to Tal and the team's excellent moderation standards and the original vision, of trying to build a gaming community website that's actually a nice place to be.

Still, we'll always have the RBP. That'll never die. :shake:

14. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I'm still around... ;) The main reason I've been away from the boards for a while is because I really haven't had the time to even read anything due to some kitchen renovation work (fun... not!), plus I needed a bit of a break from things. But on topic, as far as the reasons for the downturn in activity go, we've been over this a few times already in similar threads and BTA's summed up my thoughts on the matter as well. Frankly, drama threads and cries of how the community isn't entertaining enough for some members any more aren't going to really change anything, though they might outline the problems (but we've known about them already for quite some time). This community, like every other one, is a sum of its parts. If we have a large core of jaded posters who don't bother to create new threads or even respond to existing ones, naturally the traffic will go down since there isn't much of an influx of newcomers any more. But the only way to turn the tides here is for the old core to become more active, which is no easy task. Certainly leaving for a more active community is always far easier and more convenient than putting in some effort and personal contribution to activity if you only expect others to entertain you.

It's kind of a "don't ask what more SP can do for you, but what you can do for SP" situation, you know?

15. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Awwwww... And here I watched and waited for Tal to tell the newbs to dance for us. "Dance, minions. Dance!"

Now I have to contribute and participate and stuff...

16. Nobleman Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Nobody with my old avatar quits. We've seen too much of that already! =)
    I am hanging around, but dont really feel I can contribute with much productive atm.

When the dark reign of MMO (Maliicious Mind Obscurer) ends and people start embracing fantasy RPG again, the companies get some solid games out. When that happens we will creep out of our holes and strech in happiness, on the fields of fantasy! :)

Harbourboy likes this.
  17. Paracelsi

Paracelsi Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    MMOs should stay though I believe the genre deserves a major revision, incidentally there's a big one incoming. I believe its all that formulaic EA-ish trash that needs to go.

18. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

I got tied up with all sorts of life nonsense, and just didn't have the energy to come to SP for a while.

19. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Hello guys, only me.

I'm not sure who's still around here, but just a little update from me if interested. I'm now living with my lovely girlfriend of about 16 months Gemma, and we've just made the decision to start trying for a baby (aaah, scary!). We have 2 little holidays coming up, Dubrovnik and Bruges in July and August. I got a new job as a server support engineer so life is kinda plodding along.

Still find time to play games now and again, and re-kindled a love for BG with the EE games being available on mobile devices, pretty cool.

I hope everyone around here is well. It does me good to see this place still going.

Peace

20. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Hey, those are some major updates!! Good luck on the baby, life as you know it will be over. :p

(For real, not kidding, but it's totally worth it.)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.