1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Irregular Workhours in Real Life

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Merlanni, Aug 24, 2013.

1. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    My company wants to go from one shift to three shifts.

Nine hours blocks saving one hour for days off in the schedule every forth-night, or half a day every week..

Shift one: 8:00 until 17:30.

Shift two 10:00 until 19:30.

Shift three 13:00 until 22:30.

I have always worked regular hours. What can I expect, and it that middle shift as dangerous as it looks?

First plan is to schedule for four weeks containing one early week, two middle weeks and one late week.

Anybody have experience with these rosters?

2. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    I work alternating 7am - 7pm and 7pm - 7am shifts.

It's easy once you get used to it.

3. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    And during a week say, Monday shift one, Tuesday shift two, Wednesday shift three, Thursday shift one with the morning off, and Friday shift Three.

How does the body react to that?

4. Gaear

Gaear ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful

Media:
    It seems like you're only dealing with a five hour swing if I'm reading it right. Shouldn't be that big a deal, unless you are a hardcore daily routine guy.

5. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Friends of mine have shifts like that. They say their body reacts best if every night's sleeping hours are the same, like sleeping from 12 to 7 AM every day.

6. Merlanni

Media:
    Two hockey-evenings with youth-teams. 19:00 to 22:00. not possible to combine with middle and late shift.

I can join this year, or wait one year. they want to test it with a select group of employees with a steady contract(not possible to be fired in the Netherlands with a steady contract unless you mess it up yourself). Those people will taskmaster an army of poor sods with no contract.

7. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    My body clock is totally screwed, I won't lie. I work days and nights, alternating, so the body never really has a chance to adjust. I have times on my days off where I am absolutely knackered in the middle of the day and need to take a quick nap, and other times where I'm wide awake at 3am on my days off too. It can't be healthy to be honest... I'd drop about ten thousand dollars a year if I stopped doing it though, and I can't afford that.

Still, it sounds you're just doing days and evenings so you should be fine. I assume there's some kind of 'unsociable hours' pay allowance?

8. Merlanni

Media:
    No. Take it or leave it.

9. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

Well it takes some getting used to. The hours you mentioned aren't that bad. The last one would be slightly inconvenient. I worked at shifts that were from 4.00-12.00, 12.00-20.00, and finally 20.00-4.00. That was quite bad, but I eventually got somewhat used to it. I prefer regular work hours though, it's a lot easier to get to rhythm and easier to fix the rhythm if a stressful period breaks your sleeping rhythm or something similar.

10. Merlanni

Media:
    All the little bosses are making rosters. Lots of speculating. I still know nothing. How many weeks late? One out of four? Three? On and off? 21:00 or 22:30.

And than there is Saturday. It apparently is a normal working day. Right, are the office people there too?

11. Gafonator Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Same as Barmy Army here. I absolutely love it though. It means you get two to four days a week as a free time and u don't have to worry about weekends, nights, hollidays because it's all the same to you. Absolutely love that...

12. Merlanni

Media:
    Plans are final. Testing fase, one out of four weeks from 13:00 until 22:30.

That is work-able with hockey.

The only thing is, that I suspect that the result will be steered towards every other week, just because they like it. "They" ofcourse, only work office hours.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.