1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Age limit

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Dice, Mar 16, 2013.

1. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    What is the difference in age distance you would consider in dating someone?

2. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Mrs Bruno is 13 years younger than me. My dating is limited to someone 13 years younger than me. Perhaps even more limited than that....

3. Vorona

Vorona Shadow-Whisperer

It really depends not just on the age difference, but on the actual ages. The older you get (up to a certain point), the larger the age difference can be without it being much of an issue. Old geezers dating 20-somethings is icky, though.

But -- a college student dating a high school student, even a senior -- that's a pretty big gap because their cultural situations are so vastly different. One of the seniors in my school dated a Freshman girl, and the other seniors found it immoral. A freshman in college dating a senior in college is much more reasonable. And a 40-year old dating a 30-year old, or even a 27-year-old might be very doable. But obviously, a 20-year-old dating a 7-year-old . . . that's not cool at all.

Currently, I'm 36 and a good friend of mine is 26, I think. If she had a male friend the same age, I could see us potentially dating. I feel more like 26 than 36 anyway.

4. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Tough one. I asked myself that question recently (again)

On one side I like to think that age is just a number that shouldn't matter: Just check if the person involved is about as "mature" as you. If a woman is perfect for me, why should I be bothered if she is 10 years older or 10 years younger?

OTOH: Something tells me that dating a girl 10 years younger is wrong. (I'm 33.) I guess that won't happen that easily, because I haven't yet met a woman (girl) of that age that is at the same "maturity level" as I am. Not that I'm very mature, but people in their 20s still change quite a bit. I'm past that, while a 23 y/o probably is still in there. I'm not a sociologist, so I might be plain wrong. People probably change their whole life.

Right now, I guess I put the limits at -7 and +3 (26 to 36 y.o.), with a preferred age of about 28.

5. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    MoN, as far as older women go, there's the issue of children (the older both of you get, the more problematic it potentially gets), but then many/most women today are well past 30 before considering having children. And if you (both) don't want children, I guess it's a non-issue.

The issue I've got with younger girls is the same that you mentioned really - most of them that I've met are really immature, to say the least. But then again, I know quite a few women nearing and even over 30 whose mindset and priorities are still stuck at 16, seemingly permanently. A sign of the times, I guess.

6. damedog Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Resourceful Veteran

My girlfriend is ten years older than me and it's going great. Mostly because we're very much alike, though that probably wouldn't be the case with most people my age.

7. Bladezuez

Bladezuez I'm normal in my mind; everyone else is crazy! Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    there is 11 years difference between my wife and I. I wouldn't go much over that. I feel that age difference depends on the level of maturity and the feelingz that are there. If you truly love each other then by all means, so long as you both are over the legal age of consent, have your fun. but that is just my opinion.

8. Gaear

Gaear ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful

Media:
    I read an article about that recently ... just something to the effect that it is indeed human nature to think that all or most of your changing is behind you, when in fact there is generally plenty ahead of you. Simply illustrated, the point was that people often think "yeah, I really changed in the last 10 years, got fat/grey/bald/what-have-you," but it tends to end there and not get projected to the next ten years. In other words, there is no accompanying "yeah, I will be really fat and much more grey and totally bald 10 years from now!" ;)

All that said, I agree with you about the age and maturity, um, 'challenges' the youth face. That's definitely a bell curve in my experience.

9. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    The older I get without changing much mentally the larger the age gap I find ok. As long as she is over 20 it all comes down to personality. I have met 20 year-olds who are on my level and there are many woman my own age which are definitely not on my level. I think it is very individual. As was mentioned before the difference between a 16 year old and a 19 year old can be much bigger than the difference between a 23 year old and a 39 year old.

I must admit though as a man I meet very few women older or even my own age I find attractive. The ones I do find are invariable taken.

10. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Edit:

I guess I'm changing the topic here into something that's being discussed in an other thread. NM this:

Gaear, nice one. And I'm interested in the article, so if you stumble upon it some time, please let me/us know. :) I realize that I should have put it differently. I'm aware that people still have a lot of changing to face. What I meant was that people in or past their 30's usually don't change that fast as people in their 20's can.

To be sure: I'm talking about mental change here, too, to be sure. That could also have been the case in the article. You mentioned getting bald/fat/grey as an example. Was the article about less/better/other friends as well? Or people's reaction to blame/accusations?

11. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    Thanks for your input friends :). It's funny but for me I have a lot easier time accepting a 10 year difference in age if the man is younger than me. I'm mature but physically and mentally youthful. Most of the men who approach me are younger than me and presently I'm single.

12. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Men I prefer older - my current partner is eight years older than me, Women I prefer a closer age gap but even women a couple of years older than me I assume are younger due to their behaviour.

I actually find I think contrary to that, I can easily imagine changes that will occur in to future to me, in fact in second year of first school we were asked to write about how we think we'll be when we're older and my physical description was spot on. What I personally have trouble with is acknowledging changes that have occurred - It usually takes an external factor to draw attention to what has changed.

13. Gafonator Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

10-20 years maybe, probably not more. I am still in the age, where body shape still matters to sexual attractivity, or if I should put it in other way, I do mind the body as well as spirit and behavior while dating. And 20 years from me means about 15-20 or 50-60 years which is the most for me. Some women are really nice and cool even in their fifties, so it's really not much an issue. 60 would be like really too much and you can't go under 15 where I live ^^

PS: But I vote for Pedobear to be elected, he will lower that restriction when being a senator ^^

14. Thunderwing Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

+/- 10 years is my general guideline, though other factors can play in the decision.

15. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    For some odd reason, the more money involved, the greater the difference.

Needs research.

16. Son of Imoen Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

I'm not dating anymore, I've chosen to live my life as a single, but when I still had relations, the biggest age difference I actually was involved in, was with my first girlfriend, 11 years of difference, when I was 22. If any of you don't guess from that, she was older than me, the opposite couldn't in any way be morally right :p.

However, in the end it was partly the age difference that probably killed the relationship. I was young and wanted to change the world (I still do, but I was much more impatient and fiery back then). She's had more of an attitude of live and let live, a bit phlegmatic, and I understood her mindset better by the time I was 33 myself, ten years ago. BTW, were still friends and she's gonna visit my birthday celebration next week (yesterday was my birthday, but I don't like to give a party so close after new year's eve).

17. Nobleman Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

½ her age +7 = your age or less

½ your age + 7 = minimum

18. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    You forgot to subtract net worth divided by $1,000,000.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.