1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Are smart phone screens susceptible to phosphor burn?

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by SlickRCBD, Oct 13, 2013.

1. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    I'm starting to realize that some of my knowledge of hardware is getting dated and I may need to borrow an A+ book from the library even though I've had the cert for almost 10 years, and probably could have gotten it 15 years ago if I'd known about it.

I've heard that modern flatscreen monitors aren't nearly as susceptible to phosphor burn, but I haven't been able to confirm that.
    What about smart phones? My current phone has a feature where it won't turn off the screen automatically if I have it plugged into to a computer or other power source.

I am currently in the middle of moving about 1200mb of movies onto the phone to watch later as a passenger on a long car trip, but am ready to goto sleep. It is taking much longer than it should for some reason.
    Do I need to make sure to disable the feature so the screen turns off to make sure the home screen of my HTC One X+ phone doesn't get burned into the screen? Is it even an issue?

When I learned about phosphor burn, there was no such thing as a smart phone, the height of cell phone technology was the Motorla "brick" or a car phone. Laptops with B&W LCD screens were rare and expensive. I believe that a laptop with CGA (yes, the Crappy Graphics Adapter that looked lousy even in its day compared to an Apple IIe) graphics did become available around that time.
    This was before the Powerbook 100, the first laptop I ever got to try outside of a store demo.

Sorry if I'm rambling, I'm about to goto sleep. I'll see any replies in the morning.

2. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    LCD screens do not have phosphors, so they are not susceptible to phosphor burn-in.

3. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I don't know about phosphor burn-in, but a lot of smart phones tend to have LED or OLED screens. I'm not sure if they're susceptible to burn-in. A lot of screens still have some kind of burn-in protection, though I'm not sure how necessary it is - it could be just some superfluous left over.

4. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    No, they don't burn. And most are made of gorilla glass, so they won't scratch. There's vids on Youtube of guys taking Stanley blades to their phone screen and still can't scratch it

5. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    I've got a nick in the screen from when I dropped a tool on it at work. I did get a screen protector thingie on it.

Still, the question is, is there any danger from leaving an HTC One X+ phone on all night with the screen lit while I goto sleep?

6. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    The specs say it is an LCD touch screen, so no danger of burn-in, but all lights have a limited life, so why waste it and the power by leaving it on when you're not using it?

7. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Why would the screen stay on?

8. Darion

Darion Resident Dissident Veteran BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Burn-ins are a thing of the past. Way back when screens were a CRT.
    A whole different thingy.

There are no bad side effects in leaving your smart phone on all night. save for the battery-drain and the light obviously.

And now that you reminded me of burn-ins and CRT I feel old.

9. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    I use a CRT every time I play an Infinity Engine game. I didn't get a flatscreen until 2009. Why waste money when I have a perfectly good monitor? Heck, the only reason I replaced my HP DeskJet 812C from 1998 is that the cartridges cost more than a new cheap printer.

10. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Actually, burn in is not a thing of the past. Plasma tvs can still have burn-in, although it is not all that common any longer and they are not used in smart phones. Just sayin'

11. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    If I plug the phone into a computer while it's turned on, it has a feature that prevents the screen from automatically turning off and going into standby mode.
    One of the reasons for this is because by default all downloads and other data connections are severed when the thing goes to sleep when the built-in "power saver" is enabled.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.