1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Improved anvil problems

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Toker, Sep 22, 2013.

1. Toker Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Veteran

Hi everyone, can anyone help me install the improved anvil mod? I have followed the download instructions to the letter (patch installed, ToB balderdash fix pack and a few components of the ease of use mod). When I try to run improved anvil I get the same error message
    "Error: COPY bgmain.exe FAILED: cannot open target"

Any suggestions?

2. coineineagh

coineineagh I wish for a horde to overrun my enemies Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    Maybe you have a version of windows which protects certain foldres? There's some issues in Win7, and it's advised to create a different install folder, not the original.
    And if you cracked your exe file with a no-cd, that might also cause issues.

The most recent Improved Anvil versions have been altered to make them even less tolerant of other mods, so are you absolutely sure there's nothing else installed?

I have an old version of the mod, 4.2, dating back to 2008.
    4.2 was before Sikret overwrote existing spells, and made all those tweaks which made IAnv so incompatible. I installed it in a megamod installation, which seems to be working for me at the moment. If you're interested, I can send it to you by e-mail. PM me if you're interested.

There are also lots of lag-inducing scripts, which folk over at mega mod help told me how to delete from my baldur.bcs and baldur25.bcs

Sikret's mod is by far the most challenging and exciting I've played so far, though SCSII seems to be popular - I have yet to experience it. But a single mod cannot compete with the amount of content offered by a true megamod installation, so I decided to risk it with the old IA4.2 installed almost as last.

3. MrMermaid

MrMermaid Reality is merely an illusion, albeit persistent Resourceful

As coineineagh said, and to clarify a little, you need to make a different installation folder, which is not in Program Files. E.g., use "C:bad:Games\BGII - SoA"

4. Toker Gems: 3/31

Veteran

Hi, thanks for the advice.
    Do i need to reinstall BG2 or can i simple move it out of program files?
    Also -
    "And if you cracked your exe file with a no-cd, that might also cause issues."
    - i don't know what this means!

5. MrMermaid

Easy and long method: Uninstall BGII completely and reinstall in the location of your choosing.
    (Slightly) harder and short method: (a) Copy the entire BGII - SoA folder and move it to a location of your choosing. (b) Open baldur.ini, and edit any lines, under the [Alias] section, that refer to the original Program Files folder, so that they now point to the new installation folder that you've chosen.

coin is referring to any potential crack you might have downloaded and installed that removes the need to use a CD whilst playing the game, aka a no-CD crack. They will mess with the .exe file, and could potentially screw up being able to install other mods. However I would bet your problem is simply to do with not having write abilities inside Program Files; Windows always wants to hold your hand and stop you poking into files that could potentially break your computer!

6. Toker Gems: 3/31

Veteran

I tried the full install outside of program files as you suggested and it seemed to be working...
    Originally it only installed three files before the error message came up, this time it managed 2811 files before cruelly stopping.

Error resource for copy.
    Resource [gorstam.bcs] not found in key file

Bugger.
    Bugger Bugger Bugger

7. MrMermaid

Did you buy the game from GOG? Or is it a DVD/CD version? For GOG you don't need any patches, otherwise you do.

Which version of IA are you using? Specifically, is it recent enough for the following?
    (1) Replacing Baldurdash with its modern and stable counterpart, the G3 Fixpack;
    (2) Replacing Ease of Use with G3 Tweakpack, for the components you desire. Also, could you install the Tweakpack last? (So the order would be SoA+ToB+Patch 26498/BGII GOG version, Fixpack, IA, and Tweaks.)

Both BD and EoU are deprecated by their G3 counterparts, so you should generally avoid them unless expressly necessary.

Could I have a copy of that version of IA, please, coin? :) Curious to try it out at some point.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.