1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Anti-Virus and Firewalls - What are you using?

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Blades of Vanatar, Sep 9, 2013.

1. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I currently use Zone Alarm for everything. It is a PITA. I am thinking of swithcing back to AVG free. What about you guys and gals?

2. Gaear

Gaear ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful

Media:
    AVG Free and Windows Firewall. My dad had Zone Alarm on his machine for a while ... I hated it too.

3. Paracelsi

Paracelsi Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    AVG Free (mainly for viruses and detection), Malwarebytes (better than AVG at removing malware) and the No-script addon for Firefox. No-script is incredibly annoying at first since it "automatically blocks any JavaScript, Java, Flash and other plugins" from any site. You have to take the time to permanently "allow" every site you regularly visit, and sometimes I still need to turn it off completely when visiting javascript/Flash-heavy custom sites.
    I still use it though. It's like this vicious guard dog you have to feed and care for and reign in every once in a while.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2013
  4. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Get rid of Zone Alarm if you haven't yet. Online Armor Free is infinitely less problematic and equally (if not more) effective. I only regret not having ditched ZA sooner.

Though on my new Windows 8 box I haven't bothered installing either Online Armor or Avast yet. Since W8 comes with both a firewall and Windows Defender anti-virus I don't really see a pressing need to replace either. I can't remember the last time I had an actual virus anyway - your run of the mill malware is far more prevalent. And I've got Spybot and Malwarebytes for that.

5. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Avast free

6. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    ZoneAlarm used to be great, especially when I was using Windows 98SE as my primary system which lacked the firewall of XP. However, it's been annoying since the mid-2000s when they started expanding it from just a firewall to a "more complete security package".
    However, the last version for Windows 98 lacked that feature, so I was spared that until I upgraded to XP, well after SP2 came out.
    I'm surprised they haven't learned and changed since it's probably been close to 8 years since they made it so annoying.

7. Topken

Topken Elven-dragon wizard

Windows Firewall and Microsoft Security Essentials on Windows 7 with both malwarebytes and Spybot search and destroy 2 as backup scanners

8. enclave911 Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I use Malwarebytes, Windows Firewall, and Avast free antivirus.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.