1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Are spell descriptions wrong or are the calculations?

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale (Classic)' started by vendur, Jun 20, 2013.

1. vendur Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I've noticed a lot of spells simply not doing what they are supposed to do. sometimes they are far more effective thn described eg: sun scorch.

what it says it does: 1d6 + your level in fire damage

What it actually does: i don't know what formula it is using but right now my level 13 druid Does three stacks of damage:

7-10 fire damage
    7-10 fire damage again
    And then it always does 13 fire damage.

This is NOTHING like the description of the spell. additionally the spell says when someone saves they take half damage. Nope. All parts of the spell including the blindness can be 100% saved against accept for one stack of 7-10 fire damage. The max damage on this spell is 33, while the descriptions max damage of the spell is 18, almost twice the damage.

i

2. valky Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I don't get at the 3rd damage component; in your example 13. But the spell fires always twice on a failed saving throw.
    Checked in DLTCEP and it contains half of your druids level for the non-save and another half for the save. (+ the full damage against undead/things too)
    Also on each damage bonus only a D3 is rolled to simulate a proper saving throw against the 2nd damage component.

I think it's just engine-related and how the old infinity dealt with saving throws.
    Still not sure why you are getting an added 3rd type of damage, or was it against ie Duergar/Drow/undead or similar, so the 2nd condition triggered? (edit: that'd be the only reasonable explanation, since +13 damage is included in the first 2 rolls, and the other part is added as well, so it's +26 against Undead/vulnerable to bright light things and so on)

Fixpack installed? Not sure if it's related...

Last edited: Aug 4, 2013
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.