1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What is the best alignment for a Bard to have?

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by zarreff, Jul 16, 2013.

1. zarreff Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Resourceful

I know certain instruments cannot be used unless you have a particular alignment...so in your opinion what would be the best alignment to have?

2. Darion

Darion Resident Dissident Veteran BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Any chaotic should do it.
    I usually go for CN for bards.

3. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    The best alignment depends on your personality, point of view, and style of play.

Are you a selfless goody-two-shoes or a greedy selfish bastard trying to wheezel the most money/rewards out of the quest giver?
    Are you whimsical and just pick the funniest option or the one that most amuses you?

If the former, pick a good alignment. If the second, pick an evil alignment. If the last option, pick chaotic neutral.

Bladezuez likes this.
  4. kmonster Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Veteran

Alignment doesn't really matter for bards. You might find instruments which require non-evil alignment and 13 wis but it's not worth having more than 3 points in wis for bards.

5. Drew

Drew Arrogant, contemptible, and obnoxious Adored Veteran

Media:
    It is if you want to use those instruments... It's been a long time, but I'm fairly certain that some dialogue options are tethered to the wisdom stat, which it is worth getting a positive wisdom modifier (no more than 14) if the bard is going to be the party face. Physical stats are going to be less important a spell slinging singer/archer -- mental stats are much more useful.

6. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    While there are several times when having a Bard be the main talker is adventurous, such as the quest with the siren in Easthaven, the game is not about the Bard.

The intro does NOT go
    ---------- Added 0 hours, 0 minutes and 51 seconds later... ----------

Although I believe there IS a Garth's Equippment Shoppe in Kuldahar.

7. Drew

Media:
    Heh. On a more serious note, bards use Charisma as their prime requisite and are able to put points into every diplomatic skill but intimidate. The rogue can do it, too, but will have better uses for it's skill points. Paladins make good diplomats, too, as long as you are OK with never bluffing, frequently refusing rewards, and suffering from severe MAD. Paladins also find it worthwhile to dump intelligence, which you wouldn't want to do for a party face. If you have a bard, it would be silly not to use it as the party face.

8. coineineagh

coineineagh I wish for a horde to overrun my enemies Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    Combine a NE bard with a LG paladin for all the dialogue options open. It depends on who initiates talking, but more often than not evil bards will be better, coz they can accept rewards, and gouge prices.

9. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    What does MAD mean in this context? The only meaning I'm familiar with is Mutually Assured Destruction, which I somehow doubt is what you meant.

10. JT Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
  11. zarreff Gems: 1/31

Resourceful

I already made my bard awhile back, but chose my alignment based on how I wanted my bard to be. The bard also happens to be my party leader and is ME. I used my picture and made a soundset of my voice lol. I might even upload it to sorcerors...it is pretty cool

I've played IWD2 many times, but never once used a bard.

I was just curious as to what alignment gives the best instruments.

I already chose Chaotic Good as my alignment. Im at the beginning of chapter 3 right now.

12. coineineagh

coineineagh I wish for a horde to overrun my enemies Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    ME = moderately evil?;)

Mati and Bladezuez like this.
  13. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    He also might have meant the bard was a SI, aka himself (zarreff).

14. zarreff Gems: 1/31

Resourceful

Moderately Evil? lol

You could see I wrote "I already chose my alignment, Chaotic Good! :)

Yea Its a portait of me, and the soundset is my voice. I uploaded it to Sorcerors, and it was approved by a moderator...but I dont see it on the sorcerors download page? Im gonna check download central to see if its there.

---------- Added 0 hours, 9 minutes and 26 seconds later... ----------

Yay its there! :)

Yall should check it out!

15. zarreff Gems: 1/31

Resourceful

Also...Drew, you said that some dialogue was tethered to the wisdom stat? I never heard of that. I thought it only mattered how high your diplomatic skills were (diplomacy, bluff, intimidate). Of course the dialogue can change depending on race, class, and level...but I was unaware of having points in the ability scores could determine certain dialogue options.

16. Drew

Media:
    I could totally be wrong on that. It still powers will saves and sense motive, though -- useful both in diplomatic situations and for being the designated de-de-buffer guy. You aren't likely going to be able to cast remove fear when under the influence of a fear spell. Personally, I'd rather spend a bard's points on mental stats than physical ones for IWD2.

17. zarreff Gems: 1/31

Resourceful

This is my bards stats so far at level 10
    str 10
    dex 18
    con 10
    int 14
    wis 6
    cha 20

This is base stats, no items adding to the values.

Im making my pary leader a Bard/Fighter. He is human and so far is bard 9/fighter 1

Im also using Avenger"s level 40 capper. So I can still have bard 30 but with an added fighter 10.

I make good use of the expertise feat, and Im trying to make careful spell selection. Also I have emmas moonblade equipped which is pretty cool :)

---------- Added 0 hours, 1 minutes and 7 seconds later... ----------

btw I have another character named "Kilgor" who is a half orc Barbarian 2/fighter 4/rogue 4

lol he is a beast!

18. spmdw45 Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Yes. A couple examples that I can think of:

* You get a chance to fix Dragu's crossbow if your Int is high. If it is even higher you can fix it successfully.
    * High WIS lets you detect the witch's disguise when she's kidnapped the kids. So does being a paladin.
    * Certain classes including paladin can detect Beodawn as a werewolf.

Etc., etc. No one character will ever get all the dialog options so try a different face every once in a while. A heavily-multiclassed character a la JUPP's decoys sometimes gets an amusing menu of contradictory options.

In my opinion, the most important attribute a face can have is survivability, since there are a number of situations where talking to someone can trigger combat with your face right there in the monster's face. He should either have tough defenses or a way to break aggro (e.g. invisibility).

-Max

---------- Added 0 hours, 1 minutes and 54 seconds later... ----------

Hound's collar can take care of fear for the bard, then his songs can take care of it for everyone else. IMHO Strength is very worth buffing for bards, and to a lesser extent also Dexterity. High strength + Rapid Shot is a very strong combination in this game.

19. Paracelsi

Paracelsi Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I prefer buffing CHA. I then rely on Power Attack/Improved Power Attack to increase the damage output of my throwing axes.

Enemy AC does not scale well in IWD2, and on top of everything bards can debuff enemy units/paralyzed and flatfooted enemies are denied a significant portion of their AC/there are only too many ways to increase your AB or decrease enemy AC through spells, items and innate abilities. Then, there's luck.
    At higher levels bards are just as likely to be casting spells (buffs, debuffs, summoning spells) as actually attacking stuff. I max CHA since I figure making those spells count takes priority.

20. Nizidramanii'yt Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

I would also take CN. That's what the most famous bard is: the dude from remastered 'Bard's Tale'. He's a total douche.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.