1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Can Potions help with Dual Classing?

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Blades of Vanatar, Jul 3, 2013.

1. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Ok. If I have a 16 Int character, drink a potion that boost Int to 17 or above, can I then dual class that character to a Mage? Or does it need ot be a natural 17 attribute to do so?

2. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I'm fairly certain it has to be natural.

3. pplr Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Media:
    Potions help before casting a spell or talking to certain people it helps to have a high Wisdom or Intelligence score.

I don't know, even doubt, they will help you with dual-classing.

However I believe there are a few books throughout the game that give a lasting +1 (potions don't last) to various scores.

Get the right one and save your exp (don't level up as often as you can and save it for when you dual-class), and you may be able to get the dual-class you want.

4. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    The tomes are only in BG, not BG2. And I'm also fairly sure that your stats have to be natural. There's the deck of many things and the machine of Lum the Mad in the WK. You may also gain some stats in the hell trials (and lose one).

Saving xp by not leveling up doesn't help for dual classing. When you dual, you lose all xp you might have above your current level and start at zero again. If you dual to a mage, you can save up some scrolls to scribe (and temporarily kick everybody out of your party, except for any possible love interests) or quest completions that give xp when you talk to people for after you dual.

5. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I currently have the BG1 NPCs in SoA mod loaded into my BG2 game. I want to add Coran, but he comes paired with Safana. I only need one thief, so I figured I could dual Safana to a Mage, but I need 17 Int to do so. If it is a natural 17 that is needed, then I am hosed.

Bah.. I guess I will just have to SK her to 17 Int to Dual her.

Or... I think there is a component of SCSII or some other mod like Tweaks or Fixes that allows for easier Dual-Classing. I will have to research it tonight.

6. pplr Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Media:
    I believe having the right tome helps because, if I remember right (it was a while back but I am pretty sure), I've used them to open up dual-class options that character(s) did not have before.

Note the computer can tell if an ability is boosted by an item (gloves of ogre str) or potion in a lasting way or not.

Tomes don't wear off nor can they be taken off.

So I think they function as well as a "natural" number when the computer determines options for dual-class.

The exp thing I'm much less sure about but I do remember that you have to surpass your first class in level before you can use both the abilities of your first and second classes.

In BG & BG2 you only have the abilities of 2nd class until your 2nd class has a higher level than your 1st class-then you get the abilities of both.

In some ways the game doesn't even recognize your 1st class this until this happens. I know because I was able to get the thief stronghold and work for Bodhi by getting the former before dualing and talking to the latter for the 1st time while still leveling the 2nd class.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2013
  7. Ishad Nha Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Resourceful

In Near Infinity you can alter two files, ABDCDSRQ.2DA and ABDCSCRQ.2DA, to lower the stats needed for dual-classing.

8. Son of Imoen Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Safana is one of the characters viable for multi-classing by reading tomes. For Safana, you don't need to alter files, you can just give her the INT-tome, no need for bending rules or altering character files (though nobody would stop you if you want to, I just wanted to add it's completely possible in-game).

Xzar is another character multi-classable with tomes, he can become a Cleric with a WIS tome.

Branwen, Khalid, Xan and Xzar all have 16 DEX, thus you can dual one of them in a Thief by giving a tome (though probably Shar-Teel will make a more powerful thief, while being able to improve DEX of Charname).

9. Lasivern Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Veteran

You can not legally dual class either Khalid or Xan, regardless of their stats, since they are not Human [the only Race which *can* dual class].

10. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Just use SK instead of altering the 2DA files adding another mod that could hose your game. It's a lot easier than reloading the entire game. I just don't get the attitude that if it's a mod it's not cheating but SK is always cheating. :rolleyes:

11. Blades of Vanatar

SK'd her that night..... that sounds kinda dirty....:D

12. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    As opposed to "modded her that night"?

:D

BTW, I agree with T2. It's a single-player game, you can't cheat anyone but yourself.

13. Blades of Vanatar

I hear ya guys. I SK regularly, to create scenarios that the vanilla game doesn't offer.

This run through has been completed. Which means I got bored with it. Currently runnign through with an evil party consisting of PC(HO FC), Kagain, Shar-Teel, Monty, Xzar and Edwin using the BG1NPCsinSOA mod. the dialogues are hilarious, modder was the Smiling Imp. Really good stuff. Unbelievably I actually played it through to Spellhold so far. Xzar has got a Hannibal Lecter type of personality going on. Funny.

14. Lasivern Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Veteran

Temporary stats and dual classing

Just to answer the original question, it is a definite *No* on being able to dual class with potion enhanced stats. I just tried it with a couple of characters and it does not work. Chalk one up for Bioware getting it right. ;)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.