1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Discussion: How many party members is easiest to play with

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Earl Grey, Apr 20, 2001.

1. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

[​IMG] The reason for this question is the axiom:
    "A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link"

Before trying to Solo-play BG2 I thought it'd be extremely difficult, but it turned out to be only slightly harder. Of course you miss out on some wonderful interaction with NPC's in the party, but let's put that aside for now.

On the extreme end is using only one character.
    * Benefits of going solo: *
    - No need to wait for members to catch up when going to a new location.
    - Characters do not go the "wrong way" in dungeons.
    - Very fast level increase.
    - You don't have to fight "mind controlled" friends.

On the other end is the six character party:
    * Benefits a full party: *
    - Skill for everything.
    - No "sudden death" if one character gets "mind controlled".
    - More fighting power.
    - Dividing the attacks of the enemy on several characters.
    - Better carrying capacity.

2. Steppenwolf Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

It depends on your gaming style. Personally, I preferred to play with six NPCs so as to witness how they relate to my character and each other. Some of Minsc' and Edwin's dialogue are just too funny to miss out on.

3. IronEagle Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

i have been playing with 3-4 but i always liked the 6 person members, if you give em beer before you go sleep at an inn every night, they keep the chat going on.. and it gets pretty funny by the end of the game... korgon and jan especially

4. Modjahed Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

As for me, I HATE large parties. The crowd of chars stumbling around failing to find a way through the narrow passage - too much for my nerves.

And the fewer the chars, the easier to control.
    Another boni for solo fighting:
    - you can use area effect spells like Sunfire and not worry to hit a party member
    - you can be SURE your solo char is equipped with the best items

In general, everything with three party members or less works for me.

5. GONMAR Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

having a party really simulates role-plyaing a little more...you rarely played the pnp game by yourself...

6. IronEagle Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

yea that would be a trip, level 1 and killing beholders, attack with normal dagger, roll, Damage inflicted "4500 points" because of the uhh... alone and umm.. no err.. friends bonus of 4499 points of damage, exp gained, 35000000000 for same reason, items gained, drow Plate +5 (wearable on the surface)... hehe i'll not finish this stupid idea but u get the idea.

7. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    I not at all find it difficult to control a large party .... however, I like to have the choice of thieving, cleric, magic and fighting skills when needed plus NPC interaction ... it gives you a lot of nice playing options

[This message has been edited by Ragusa (edited April 21, 2001).]

8. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

[​IMG] I like my parties to have versatility, so large ;) It also means more distraction and decoy fodder in extremely difficult or final fights ;) hehe :D

9. The_Raven Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Just one question: How do you play solo? Isn't Imoen a charachter who you can't get rid of? Just wondering...
    By the way, I haven't come longer than chapter 2 so I may be wrong.

10. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    You can ask anyone in your party to leave, so yes, you can go solo if you wish it.

11. Whoz-UR-Daddy Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

[​IMG] I've only beat the game once, but I just don't understand the whole solo thing. I played with 6 characters the whole game, and still ended up maxing out on experience.

12. Marek Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

i personally like playing with a solo char, especially one i've deveoped in past games.
    it fits my charachter's alignment and background, and whenever you want you can take another charachter for a side quest.
    the game just runs more smoothly for me and it's more fun that way. BG2 was an exception,
    i kept imoen with me after saving her.
    what i like most about playing solo is planning strategy before hard battles, when i only get it right (live) after 5-6 tries.
    besides, i usually play again with more charchters, and keep playing until i'm bored and the added charachters don't make much difference. didn't happen in BG2, happened right away in IWD.

13. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

[​IMG] whoops! double posted there ;)
    but I like keeping those that I'm pretty sure will remain loyal and not turn on me (Damn you yoshimo..) like Imoen and Jaheira and that mongoloid Minsc, even though I hate him for making Berserkers look stupid. ;)

14. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

I like playing with the full 6 characters, but end up relying very heavily on AI.

With that, you can customize your characters fairly well -- except for thief! I have never been able to use a thief AI option, and still have the character make a contribution to the party.

15. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

[​IMG] Why play solo?

For me it was a challenge after playing with a normal party. Just to see it I could do it. It turned out to be surprisingly interesting and not as hard as I had thought.

Yes, you will hit the XP cap early. That doesn't really matter. The game goes fast and very smooth.
    I finished with almost 10 million XP - checked that in ShadowKeeper. I do not remove the XP cap.

Now I'm playing a normal game again as an Inquisitor leading an evil party! :eek:
    (Korgan, Viconia, Edwin, Jaheira and Yoshimo - my first "evil" party.)
    The character interaction with this party is wonderful and something you totally miss when playing solo.

16. Christian Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I say that going solo is the best thing to do, you have a lot of challenge, its fun, hard, you have to think of some strategie and well you're really playing a Rpg so...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.