1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Influential/considerable fantasy CRPGs

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Baronius, May 2, 2013.

1. Baronius

Baronius Mental harmony dispels the darkness ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

A Czech friend asked me to give him a list of games for the following purpose. He has an indie team, planning to make a novel BG-like CRPG but he doesn't want to reveal more yet.

They want to know the potential "concurrence", i.e. how the current influential games look like and what content (like major characters) they have.

He is planning to hire some students to play these games (to make screenshots and notes), but for this, he needs to know which games to choose.

Could you help in this?

His project can be characterized as follows (so rival games should be filtered according to this):
    • Released for "all" platforms: iPhone, Android and PC
    • "Classic" fantasy (no sci-fi or anime features), i.e. medieval, mythology style, similar to Forgotten Realms
    • "Serious", "tactical" type of complex CRPG (not Action/hack & slash)

What games should he get played by students?

2. Baronius

To emphasize it again: he is not asking for the solution here, just a short list of games themselves.

I'm surprised that 90 people checked this thread and noone felt to be able to list 5-8 games? Nowadays, people don't seem to help each other as much as in the old times.

3. Tarrasque

Tarrasque Whoever said Paladins had to be charismatic? ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Problem is they've already severely limited themselves in their choices.

Of the current 'influential' RPGs, how many are not only on PC but also on Iphone and android?

PC and phones are completely different gaming platforms and certainly off the top of my head I can't think of anything that fits the bill.

hedron and Baronius like this.
  4. MrMermaid

MrMermaid Reality is merely an illusion, albeit persistent Resourceful

Yeah, I seriously can't think of anything that is playable on all those platforms. The closest would be BG:EE, but it's not on Android yet. Also you already mentioned BG-like, so I'm guessing he's already aware of that one.

In short, the criteria are way too specific.

Baronius likes this.
  5. Vorona

Vorona Shadow-Whisperer

Also, while I suspect I am probably in the minority here, I've played a total of 3 games in any detail: BG, Dragon Age: Origins, and Skyrim. I'm not clear on how games are categorized, so I'm not sure how Dragon Age and Skyrim fit into "'Serious,' 'tactical' type of complex CRPG," which leaves BG, which, well, he already knows about. Also, I have no idea how influential those games are. To be honest, I was curious about what answers you might receive, since then I could possibly try out those games.

People here are very willing to help, so when I saw the lack of responses, I figured probably no one *had* an answer. I suppose everyone could have written a reply saying, "Sorry, I can't think of one," but I'm not sure how useful that would have been to you.

Baronius likes this.
  6. Baronius

Thanks for feedback, guys. It's true indeed that I was a bit misunderstandable:

I forgot to tell that he thinks a popular game to be rival if it runs on any of the 3 platforms, and not on all. So the proper question would be:

"Which PC or Android or iOS fantasy games do you think to be the most popular/influential?" (Steampunk, post-apocaliptic, sci-fi, and similar genres excluded.)

I finally convinced him to show a little bit demo (just for me :D), and it seems promising. Of course, game dev has many risks and a lot (if not all) depends on proper marketing (think of Electronic Arts), but I hope they'll make it (I am admittedly a BG-type of fan, and lately, most RPGs focus too much on action IMO). I'm not really of the MMORPG type of player, either.

7. MrMermaid

MrMermaid Reality is merely an illusion, albeit persistent Resourceful

Well, off the top of my head there's all the IE games, Arcanum and Thief: TDP. Many of the missions from Age of Empires II are quite CRPG-y, as they involve making quite tactical decisions and strategies based upon possessing very few troops (which then sort of resembles a party-based CRPG). Other than those games, I've not really played any major tactical CRPGs. I have heard very good things about Dark Souls and Mount & Blade, although they are both supposed to have their limitations and problems.

EDIT: By the way, if you are predominantly a BG-type fan and you like the sneak preview your mate showed you, then I should imagine I and others here will like it too! Try to keep everybody on the boards here posted on what's going on, please. :)

Bladezuez likes this.
  8. Baronius

I'll do my best :) He says there will be no info revealed before August though...

Bladezuez likes this.
  9. Déise

Déise Both happy and miserable, without the happy part!

I'm not sure what there is to contribute. Looking up any of the myriad "best of" lists would likely provide a good list of titles to draw inspiration from. They'd have a wider field than most of us would have played. I've played very few games that were released in the last few years.

10. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Tell him to "Think Wizardry 8"

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.