1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Next Gen Consoles to Compete with PCs - cost vs quality

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Aldeth the Foppish Idiot, Apr 1, 2013.

1. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    Nobody has brought up the question of mods...

The good thing about the PC is being able to modify a game to suit your demanding tastes. Consoles can be "cracked" but that's usually too much hassle especially if you play multiplayer or if you don't know what you're doing.

In any case mods would be on the top of my list of reasons why I'd rather stick with a computer.

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I thought I read something about some mods being possible on consoles these days?

3. Arctic Daishi Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Media:
    This. By the time the Xbox 720 or PS4 hits the shelves, they will already have been greatly surpassed in terms of technology by PCs. There's no way consoles can ever compete with PCs.

4. Topken

Topken Elven-dragon wizard

Tal that is true of the PS3 and XBOX 360 but the issue is Sony and Microsoft wont allow mods on their consoles and I highly doubt that will change any time soon.

5. Bladezuez

Bladezuez I'm normal in my mind; everyone else is crazy! Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I agree here totally. I prefer my PC to any console for a few simple facts.

1. I am able to mod games more easily and am able to learn how to mod them myself without too much trouble.

2. I am able to d/ld walkthroughs to my PC and refer to them without having to print them out or buy expensive books to look up help if I need it.

3. there are sites on the web that I can goto with the PC while running my game in the background to look up help also if I need it.

overall I feel that PC's will always be ahead of the curve in expansion and stuff. that is just my :2c:

6. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Bladezuez, points two and three you can also get on the console if you have a laptop or tablet (or even smartphone) anywhere near your console. I would even say that, unless you have more than one monitor or PC, Alt-Tabbing into and out of games to check something in a FAQ is rather inconvenient. That being said, when I play a game and want to check something in a FAQ or walkthrough, I'll usually put it up on my second monitor so that I can read it while remaining in the game, which is quite convenient.

The differences between console gaming and PC gaming are not so much down to the processors and graphics cards, but it's more down to the interface. One is on the sofa with a controller, the other is behind a desk with keyboard and mouse. The prefered interface depends on what the user prefers and the type of game (RTS -> keyboard + mouse, platforming/racing -> controller).

The hardware of the console itself might seem high-end at the moment, but say that you buy the console a year after release, the same high-end hardware is just mid-end hardware by that time so you'd need only a mid-end PC at by then to get the same performance. And since most game development is aimed primarily at consoles, there's little incentive to get a high end gaming PC at the moment. Things may liven up for a while once the new consoles hit the market, but you know it's going to slow down later.

For me, it's not even relevant. I don't need a high end PC to play the games I want to play, as I play mostly old games anyway. Which I usually get off of GoG for just a few euro. I think my newest game is Deus Ex: HR, which is about two years old now, I suppose. I see no compelling reason to get a console and I'd need a PC for photo editing, music and video streaming and miscellaneous office things anyway. Besides, I don't even have a TV at the moment.

Bladezuez likes this.
  7. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Well, according to several tech sites, both consoles will have medium to budget computer parts, making them as fast/strong as medium/budget game PC's.

http://www.techradar.com/news/gaming/consoles/nvidia-compares-ps4-specs-to-a-low-end-cpu-1138051

That means the that $600 pc's are just about on par with the next gen consoles.

Meaning that a motherboard/processor memory upgrade costs just about as much as a console.

Why did pc sales drop? Because there is no need to upgrade the pc and everybody has one in some form, including mac's and laptops. I used to upgrade every second year to keep up, but the need for it has gone.

8. Topken

Topken Elven-dragon wizard

And the reason behind why they pcs have stagnated is becuase of the 360/PS3 since most games are ports of the console games and the consoles have been holding the pcs back for quite a number of years now since they were about low-mid range when they first came out. So yeah we will probably see a massive increase in power once the new consoles ship and people start coding for them.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.