1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

How much RAM do you have?

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Taluntain, Apr 1, 2013.

?

How much RAM do you have in your gaming PC?

1. Less than 4GB

7 vote(s)
    22.6%
  2. 4GB

8 vote(s)
    25.8%
  3. 6GB

1 vote(s)
    3.2%
  4. 8GB

10 vote(s)
    32.3%
  5. From 9GB to 15GB

1 vote(s)
    3.2%
  6. 16GB

3 vote(s)
    9.7%
  7. From 17GB to 31GB

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 32GB

1 vote(s)
    3.2%
  9. 33GB or more

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Simple question... I'm wondering how much RAM you guys and girls have in your gaming rigs.

2. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    8gig darlin. More'n enough

3. Topken

Topken Elven-dragon wizard

8GB in my gaming rig and 3GB in my HTPC lol

4. Gaear

Gaear ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful

Media:
    Kind of alarmed to see 3 GB ... is that normal for a competitive system from 2008 or have I had a module come loose?

5. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    If you're still on Windows XP, it'll show just 3,23 as it can't utilize the full 4GB. Otherwise, 3's an odd number... normally it's paired.

6. Topken

Topken Elven-dragon wizard

System is an old Intel Pentium Dual-Core e2180 so yeah it would be about 2007-2008 and its paired with a Nvidia GTS 220 and Zen-mini which is based off of PCLinuxOS Gnome2 version. HTPC really doesn't need a lot of ram. Home Theater PC of course meaning its running XBMC and hooked up to the HDTV and streaming up to 1080p from my main gaming rig via DLNA.

System is an old HP and the ram is 2x1gb and 2x512mb

7. Vorona

Vorona Shadow-Whisperer

My desktop PC has 2G. Not sure about my laptop. The laptop runs games MUCH better, but the problem with the desktop is mainly heating and graphics.

8. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    As I've mentioned before I have 8 and rarely go over 50% used.

9. Shoshino

Shoshino Irritant Veteran

Media:
    4gig here

10. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] 1Gb on this machine :D

"Gaming rig" should be repaired by May and I can't remember if that's 4Gb or 2Gb, Either way I don't exactly play many "modern" games but a few have caught my eye for when I have spare cash or necessity to buy a new machine I'd like to splash out on 8Gb+ :banana:

11. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Upgraded to 16G last year, cheaply, otherwise I woudln't of bothered. Not really seing a difference from 8G to 16G. But, tbh, I don't play anything modern either, so I probably shouldn't notice much of a difference. My old system I keep runing as well, it is only 4G.

12. Nizidramanii'yt Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

Holy sh*t. Everything lower than 4's considered to be prehistorical now? :o

I have 3 on my xp and it's enough for me, even with digital 3d editing software.

13. Taluntain

Media:
    Well, 4GB's the minimum for modern Windows OS' so I guess, yea, anything below that is not really enough. But I realize a lot of people are still on XP...

14. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    I have 8GB for two years now, and I'm going to upgrade to Ivy Bridge and 16GB this year.

15. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    My machine is just under 2 years old, and has 8GB.

16. Bladezuez

Bladezuez I'm normal in my mind; everyone else is crazy! Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    4gb here but soon to be 8gb...

17. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    4gb here.

18. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Four gigs. Not gonna pay for DDR2 sticks or anything else really for this PC unless something goes poof. But I'd get at least eight with a new rig. Sixteen might be an overkill but don't quote me on this one.

19. Old One

Old One The Old Warrior ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

4 gig on my old Dell and seems to be enough lucky for me since the PC can only handle 4 gig!

20. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    Funny thing, when I play Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, or a lot of my older games, I do it on an old 1ghz system with 512MB of RAM. That system is my second best working desktop (I had one in between my "current" system and this one, but the motherboard died), although I have a better laptop with 1gb of RAM and a 1.7ghz dual-core processor.

The interesting thing is that I find it has sufficient power for my every day word processing, e-mail and web browsing needs, so long as I steer clear of YouTube or Hulu.

It also works great for all my older games, although it can't run Neverwinter Nights or Temple of Elemental Evil.
    I also have my old parallel printer hooked up to it, although I'm thinking of retiring that printer since it costs $35+ for a black cartridge (HP #15) and $46+ for a color cartridge (HP #23). I can get a new HP DeskJet 1000 for $29. It wouldn't surprise me if 14 years progress in technology means that a cheap low-end printer can equal the quality of my old HP DeskJet 812C.

My more modern system has 6gb of RAM and I don't think I need any more. Although that system is now going on 4 years old, as I got it at the start of 2009.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.