1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

How to handle "Ducal Palace" when soloing

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by Earl Grey, Nov 24, 2002.

1. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

[​IMG] This battle gave me the greatest troubles when I solo'd with a powerful F/M (only solo'd BG1 once). The problem is obviously the time limit.

Do a bit of brainstorming and post your tactics here! :)

- Summon so many monsters the room is almost full of them before starting the encounter - nasty cheese, but that's what I did.

- Disable enemies with spells. The ones that come to mind are:
    Horror
    Web - will affect you too, are your saves up to it?
    Dire Charm - does this affect Dopplegangers?
    Hold Person - does this affect Dopplegangers?
    Slow
    Confusion
    Rigid Thinking - does this affect Dopplegangers?

2. Namuras Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Charming works like, well, a charm. ;) The buggers have pretty good saves though, so it may take a few tries.

3. Intentioner of the Damned Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I just drank some strength and speed potions then wandered in there with my F/T and kicked butt. Took 2 attempts. Just made sure i got in between the dopplegangers and the important people and because i had about 130 health i could take all they could throw at me while i swung Twinkle like a madman. Doing the ToSC and DSoSC missions definitely help as i was much higher level than i would have been otherwise.

4. Vermillion Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

[​IMG] The often overlooked otiluke's resilient sphere perhaps? Very good if you can get a couple of scrolls or five ;) . Delay the casting a little for each doppelganer and then walk in to the cut scene. Taking them on one on one isn't difficult, but then I don't know if you want the challenge of not doing it that way.

5. Sojourner Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Spells are out of the question for a solo fighter-thief - I used arrows of dispelling against the doppelgangers to remove their haste - this enabled the guards to stay alive longer and fight the doppelgangers while my PC turned them into pin cushions.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.