1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Cleric/Fighter DC question

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Blades of Vanatar, Feb 27, 2013.

1. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

If I dual-class a cleric to fighter, then surpass the cleric level in fighter levels, what happens to the fighter Proficiencies that are of Slashing or Piercing weapons(say *** in Long Sowrds and Katanas for ex.)? Do I lose the ability to use them because I regained my cleric levels?

What about druid/fighter dc?

2. MrMermaid

MrMermaid Reality is merely an illusion, albeit persistent Resourceful

A quick test has revealed that you keep the proficiency points you invested as a fighter, but you lose the ability to (legally) use any non-cleric(druid) weapon, and you can't invest further proficiency points in non-cleric(druid) weapons. Basically it's pretty much a waste of time to dual-class in that direction... although Armour of Faith and Draw Upon Holy Might are neat spells for a fighter to have.

Also you miss out on exceptional strength.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
  3. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    I haven't tried dualling that way but normally the Cleric and Druid limitations would apply - i.e., you'd only be able to use weapons that a Cleric or Druid can use. Any proficiencies in weapons they can't use are lost.

Anomen has dualled the other way and you'll notice that he has too few proficiency points for a level 7 fighter/level 11 cleric when you find him. He must have spent his fighter proficiencies in cutting weapons and lost them when he dualled to cleric.

Edit: MrMermaid seems to be a proficient Ninja. :D

4. MrMermaid

Haha, it's just that the opening post is a thought that occurred to me once as well, but I wasn't near my computer at the time so forgot to check it out. Of course this then reminded me.

Your remark about Anomen also roused my curiosity: it turns out he's got 2 pips in Spears when you first get him. But strangely enough on Shadow Keeper those pips are both displayed under the 2nd class category, implying he obtained them whilst under his cleric tutelage. There are also no proficiencies under the 1st class. I guess it's a consistency oversight on Bioware's part. I'm tempted to edit him now to have a legal selection of starting proficiencies. But then again quite a few Bioware NPCs have illegal proficiency points and/or other attributes...

5. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Anomen gets all his pips in the second class, as does Imoen. Not that it really matters in which class the pips appear.

As for dualling from cleric or druid to fighter, the weapon restrictions don't apply to which proficiencies you can choose, but the weapon (and armor in the case of druids) restrictions do apply to which weapons you can use. So a cleric dualled to a fighter can't equip a bladed weapon even if the cleric or druid class isn't activated yet. Or a kensai dualled to a thief can't wear armour (at least until you get the Use Any Item HLA).

Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
  6. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

It is defintely worth it. 19 Str is possible with a BG1 imported Cleric/Druid. Plus there are giant-strength belts, the Strength spell & Cleric buffs so exceptional 18(**) strength is not a requirement. But I will admit, the weapon restriction is a downer.

Having Cleric/Druid levels prior to Fighter levels adds a) more healing if you are not one who wants to rest after every battle, b) more buffing and spell power (unholy blight, dispel magic, negative plane protection, etc...) and c) if you choose a cleric or druid kit, more abilities like turning into a Werewolf or other shapeshifting abilities, Boon of Lathander is very helpful against Vamps, etc...

There is potential in every dual-class combo, trust me. :)

7. MrMermaid

I guess I'm a pretty hardcore power-gamer, and the lack of high-level buffs from having dualled your cleric/druid before reaching 6th/7th-level spells (unless you're nuts! I play with SCSII and so leaving dualling that late would be insane) combined with weapon restrictions and less HP, to me, outweighs the benefits of having the decent lower-level buffs AoF, Sanctuary and DUHM, and the lower-level heals - let's face it healing spells aren't that much use in the middle of being pounded by a dragon or obliterated by a spell-casting demi-lich. Plus you get DUHM as a Bhaal-power.

Dualling the other way makes so much more sense (to me at least), since you get better HP, same weapon restrictions, MORE spells, and only miss out on fighter HLAs.

Best option as far as I'm concerned is multi-classing your divine caster: best of both worlds.

8. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I prefer a dual class, actually. Fighter 9 (or 13 if I want to maximise) and then the rest as cleric (39 or 38, respectively). Gets you nearly a full class cleric by the end of the game, but with much better usefulness in the frontlines.

The lack of fighter HLAs for me doesn't weigh up to the lack of high level spells.

9. Gafgorkion Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Veteran

There is no practical difference between a level 38 cleric and a level 40 cleric anyway. They both have the same amount of spell slots. They both have the same casting power since that is capped at level 20. Cleric HLAs can only be chosen once so you don't lose any HLAs either since you already have them all by level 38 anyway. The highest undead is Kangaxx the demi-lich and he only requires you to be level 34 to instantly chunk him. So really those two levels between 38 and 40 give you NOTHING.

Losing fighter HLAs does hurt in that you lose Hardiness, which makes a great combo with the Armor of Faith spell and Defender of Easthaven flail. All three of those will stack and give you 85% resistance to all physical damage. Losing access to Hardiness the best you can get is 45%. Losing the Whirlwind HLA isn't as big of a deal since if you have a mage, you can always have him cast Improved Haste.

10. Blades of Vanatar

After having played through this game every which way to Wednesday over the last couple of decades, modded or unmodded, power-gaming loses it's edge for me. To gain the "something new" factor, I like trying the various class combos and NPC combos.(Hence my love of modded NPCs, currently trying out Petsy Chattertone, Summon Bhaalspawn and Yaesraena, with Aerie & Jaheira in the party. All chics, what a catfight! :) )

Most battles are against Demi-liches and Dragons. But since this is a party-based game where there are many NPCs and Items that can help you defeat any of the tougher monsters, I always felt there wasn't a desperate need to min/max everything. The lower level spells help you get through all the other battles. For me, it's help keep the entire game interesting and the tougher monsters just that much harder to slay.

The Cleric/Fighter DC is better than Fighter if you want to choose Blunt objects as your main weapon. I have tried a warhammer wielding Dwarf Fighter in the past. A very efficient PC. Adding 7 Cleric levels sure doesn't hurt to that type of build is only a plus. With Crom in the game, it actually makes it very viable build. Certainly not he best the game has to offer. But how times would you want to play the "best" build? IMO that would get boring.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.