1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

New Chatroom Testing

Discussion in 'Sorcerous Sundries' started by Taluntain, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Hmm, should be on all skins... I'll look into that and see how much of an impact it'd have to enable it on all the pages.

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    OK; now the chat should be on all the forum pages (sans the blogs) and all the skins. Let me know if you spot any problems!

3. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Yeah, it's better now mate. Hurray for beta testers.

4. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Here's one thing I don't understand. It might have to do with my computer, since I haven't heard someone else about it, but I thought I should mention it.

Sometimes, after a while in the FAI, I type my text in the bar and when I hit enter, it doesn't show in the chat box. Another chatter mentioned that she has that sometimes after being idle for a while, but I haven't been idle in the chat at all and got it several times on an evening. I closed my browser and re-entered the FAI and everything's fine.

Anyone else had this?

5. Taluntain

Media:
    Yea, I got that too. Just refreshing the page with the chat seems to fix it. It's a bug, one of many unfortunately.

6. Ludovik Duty-bound

Media:
    Just wanted to say that I've been enjoying the chat function immensely. Getting to know some of you people, feel free to bother me on there if you want to talk.

7. Taluntain

Media:
    Good to hear that you like it!

8. Topken

Topken Elven-dragon wizard

I already alerted Tal to several bugs many of which can not be fixed and so we had to lose a few functions because of bugs.

9. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    That's too bad. I just keep posting about bugs here if I find some, since I don't know what bugs are already alerted. Or is that unnecessary and can I just hit Refresh for most known bugs?

10. Taluntain

Media:
    Just try to work around or ignore them, they're all known and already reported, it's just their fixing that's painfully slow and half-assed. Nothing I can do about it but wait and hope for more fixes at this point.

11. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I was messing around in the arcade and noticed a lag in the game I was playing. Could that have something to do with the chat notifications popping up on the screen?

12. Taluntain

Media:
    That's possible... best not use the chatroom at the same time.

13. Taluntain

Media:
    I've upgraded the chatroom to the latest version released today - should contain a few fixes but I don't know if it's for any of the issues we've been noticing.

14. Arctic Daishi Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Media:
    I don't like the new chat thing, all it does is lag the site and use up bandwidth. Nobody ever uses it anyway. The site goes unresponsive for about a minute every time I refresh the page.

15. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Did you like the old chat thing better?

16. Vorona

Vorona Shadow-Whisperer

I liked the old chat thing better. With the old one, I could look to see who was chatting and then decide whether I wanted to chat or not. With the new one, if I open it to look at who's in it, it leaves the window there in front of the site until I navigate to a different page. Since most of the time, I prefer not to chat and am just looking out of curiosity, this is rather irritating.

17. Gaear

Gaear ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful

Media:
    After you open it, click on the banner again and it will go away. :)

18. Taluntain

Media:
    It was used quite a lot initially... not sure if much lately as I haven't really chatted much. But it's not an on-demand service, obviously people need to check into the chatroom and stay there for a bit before the others join as well. You're not going to get a bunch of users all come in at exactly the same time and start chatting. We'd need to have arranged chat sessions for that.

As for the site being unresponsive due to it, I doubt that's due to the chatroom - more likely the Facebook plugin BTA's complained about before. I'm not seeing any lag in Firefox. Which browser do you use?

Just clicking on the title bar or the chatroom button again will close it - it works like that for all the chat windows. That way you can stay logged in and will see alerts pop up as soon as someone posts, but don't need to keep the window open.

19. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Even I'm not seeing lag at the moment and I've made an effort to be in the FAI for as much as I'm free online. Even keeping a spare tab open still just to leave it open. It even worked properly when Facebook didn't work at all on Firefox for me.

20. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Please hug Sorvo from me when the chatroom's up.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.