1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Greatest Hockey Player of all time?

Discussion in 'Colosseum' started by Beren, Jan 17, 2012.

?

Who is the greatest hockey player of all time?

1. Gordie Howe

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Bobby Orr

1 vote(s)
    5.9%
  3. Wayne Gretzky

12 vote(s)
    70.6%
  4. Mario Lemieux

3 vote(s)
    17.6%
  5. Other

1 vote(s)
    5.9%
  1. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    In my mind, there's only 4 serious candidates for the designation, but I've also included an option for 'other' in this poll:

1) Gordie Howe

2) Bobby Orr

3) Wayne Gretzky

4) Mario Lemieux

5) Other

Sure, I'll admit it, my Oilers' fanaticism may very well be giving me a certain bias. And I'm well aware of the arguments that can be made to give Gretzky a hostile comparison to others. Gretzky played on a stacked team. Howe had the complete package, including the necessary physical game. Orr was faster, and could control the game from both ends of the ice. Lemieux had greater strength, and reach, and more one-on-one and breakaway moves. And yet, Gretzky was still as clutch as they come, and nobody made better use of his team mates than Gretzky, especially when it mattered. By the way, the only one that I haven't seen sigificant footage of is Howe. But I realize others may have different opinions. So fire away ...

2. damedog Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Resourceful Veteran

I've never watched (or cared about) a sport in my life, but I voted Mario because he played for my home team and gave my family an excuse to get together and yell at the t.v screen.

3. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Mario, hands down.

4. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    I'm a Boston homer, but even I had to vote for Gretsky

5. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Gretzky. Though he was protected and had *other great players* around him. Those factors gave him career longevity in a time when most other players his size didn' have that.

*Other Great Players - Kurri, Messier, Fuhr, etc...

6. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Gretzky, no question. Second place goes to Orr.

7. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    If you count overall contribution to the sport (including offspring) it would go to Howe, hands down. The man played on the ice professionally for five decades as an elite athlete for most of that -- in the end he even shared the ice with two of his sons.

I remember a story where Gordie and his two older sons Marty and Mark were at a game watching the youngest son, Murray play. Murray took a nasty shot and was carted off the ice and missed the rest of the game. The Howes didn't say anything to the opposing player that took the cheap shot and let the whole incident lie ... for a few years until that player happened to be playing against Marty and Mark. He was carted off the ice and missed the rest of the season.

Not sure how accurate the story is but I found it amusing and remembered it.

8. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Didn't even think there was any discussion. Gretzky is the greatest no doubt about it. As I understand things it is largely thanks to him that hockey gained mass market appeal and he played for many many years with or without support.

Being able to injure and hurt people is not something I think makes someone great.

9. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I saw (tv) Gretzsky score a goal in a Kings playoff match. It was a simple goal, but how he plucked the puck out of the air near the post was great.

Like he knew what was going to happen a few steps before anybody else.

10. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

I'm an Edmontonian, and Gretzky helped raise the profile of this backwater dump that I will always call home. He was a class act on and off the ice. He not only was loaded with unbelievable talent, he made everyone around him better too. His record speaks for itself. I'm not much of a hockey fan but I will always be a stalwart Gretzky fan.

11. reepnorp

reepnorp Lim'n Lime Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Gotta go with Bobby Orr on this one. Granted, by the time I started watching hockey all of these players had retired, but to hear the way my father talks about Orr, he definitely sounds like the greatest. As my old man always says, Gretzky was easily the greatest scorer of all time, but as an all-around player, gotta stick with Bobby.

12. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Gordie Howe was on The Simpsons! Didn't know he was an ice hockey player too.

13. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    And a good one. Not the greatest but surely in the top 5

14. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2017
  15. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    I have to go with Gretzky on this one...

16. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    As an aside, the Edmonton Oilers will be forever thankful to Finland for giving us both Jari Kurri and Esa Tikkanen. ;)

That was one killer line, Gretzky the playmaker, Kurri the sniper, and Tik the agitator who took all the heat off of the other two, and could contribute himself.

This is one of my favorite hockey memories:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2015
  17. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    We're talking about a time when rules and equipment were very different though. Gretzky wouldn't get as many points in todays game I feel.

18. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Nor would of he scored as much in the early years of the game. The Broad Street Bullies would of ended his career in their first encounter.

19. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    I agree with joacquin - it's Gretzsky, and I don't think it's particularly close. While I'm a huge Pens fan, it saddens me that of the people on the list I would have to rank Super Mario 4th. :(

20. Ironmancal2131

Ironmancal2131 Nice head, I think I'll take it

I gotta say Lemieux. When you think about the fact that he missed like 600 possible games in his career, and still did what he did, it's crazy. During the 93 season, he had to stop playing due to cancer and at the time was leading the league in points. He came back a few months later and took the lead in the scoring race back to win the title. That's amazing stuff and really, I always think about "What if?" when it comes to Lemieux, but the injuries are what makes his career even better, in my opinion. That he overcame so many obstacles and dominated. The season after he had 199 points, he had to change himself as a player due to his back injury. The guy never played a full season, ever. Not only that, but he saved hockey for my city! Also, upon his first retirement, he was the only player in NHL history to average more than 2 ppg. That changed after he came back a few times, with him dropping slightly below Gretzky. As far as physical tools go, Lemieux was by far the greatest, but Gretzky had a 6th sense, like he had eyes in the back of his head when he did things. You really can go with either one, but in my opinion, it doesn't go beyond those two.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.