1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Skyrim Rating

Discussion in 'Featured Polls & Comments' started by Taluntain, Mar 10, 2012.

?

On a scale of 1 to 5, how high would you rate Skyrim?

Poll closed Jul 30, 2015.
  1. 5 (highest)

12 vote(s)
    15.0%
  2. 4

24 vote(s)
    30.0%
  3. 3

12 vote(s)
    15.0%
  4. 2

6 vote(s)
    7.5%
  5. 1 (lowest)

1 vote(s)
    1.3%
  6. I haven't played Skyrim (yet)

25 vote(s)
    31.3%
  1. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    DAMN Nakia! And I thought I was hard core! I love the game, and while I certainly have logged a couple hundred hours on the game, there's no freakin way I'm anywhere close to 700! Then again, I didn't purchase it until March, so you had a 4 month head start on me.

As for Dwanguard, I like it for the new enemies and new items. I like dragonbone weapons, I like crossbows, I like dragons once again becoming very fearsome opponents with the introduction of revered and legendary dragons.

2. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Skyrim is great. Dawnguard is not great. My level 5 character got attacked, along with cizizens of the town, 6 people killed, and I got turned into a vamp. Now i am forced to play a creature that Twilight has forever ruined for me. Fun. Some of the people killed in town also has quests tied to them, as well. Nice gamebreaker Bethesda.

3. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Isn't vampirism easily curable the first few days?

4. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31

It was in the previous game. By walking into a temple and activating a shrine. I did that. Doesn`t work. So now I can`t use stores anymore, because I get attacked on sight every time I enter a city. That chic in Whiterun that I was going to deliver a mammoth tusk for, died as well. Killed by a random vamp that attacked the marketplace. The old lady in the marketplace died too. I seem to remember she was involved with the Dark Brotherhood questline. I guess that one is screwed too.

5. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Unless you let vampirism go for more than few days, it's curable with a simple cure disease potion, purchasable from any alchemist for about 100 septims. I know because I've done it. However, if you're being attacked on sight, you've already progressed to full-blown vampirism, and the potion won't work. You need to feed on someone to get that taken care of. Of course, that's going to require you to sneak into a town unseen, find someone sleeping and do it. So you don't want to go to Whiterun for that. (Although the Whiterun stables offer a decent possibility.) Failing that, going into Riverwood where there are few guards and breaking into a house should do the trick.

Now that you've progressed to full-blown vampirism, the only way to cure it is by visiting that guy in Morthal. I don't recall his name, but he's the local wizard in the town. You'll also need a filled black soul gem - which he does sell, at a cost of around 2000 septims.

It is extremely unfortunate that Whiterun got hit that hard so early in the game - I might have just restarted if that happened to me.

In my previous playthough with Dawnguard, it was Riften that was ground zero for the vampire carnage. That was subject to numerous citizen deaths, although not all at once, and certainly not when I was level 5. I actually was capable of completing several in-city quests before major characters started to die. All the merchants in the marketplace were eventually killed. The only one left was Balimund's apprentice, who took over the Scorched Hammer after Balimund's death.

The only real solution to this is to start the Dawnguard questline. If you side with the vampires, you won't see any more vampire attacks, but you will see Dawnguard attacks on you. (Of course, they're vampire hunters, so they don't attack townspeople.)

6. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31

I actually DID drink a potion of cure disease. Didn`t work. I did the quest in Morthal, however, and got rid of the vampirism. Sadly, when I did the next dawnguard mission, I got infected yet again. I drank a cure disease potion immediatly when it happened. Lets hope it worked...

7. Jondar Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I picked p the game earlier this year and couldn't get into it. (Probably a 2).
    Got bored waiting for BGEE and decided to try again. I love it! I'm still fairly early in the game. My most difficult quest to date (my fault for letting myself be distracted) was tailing some guy named Gulum-Ei. I lost him after the distraction and couldn't find him to save my life. Finally went to an earlier save and never lost site of him. Killed anyone that got in my way (not sure, but this may be why I'm now being attacked by guards in Markath with a bounty on my head).
    I'm now at the point where I just got the Nightingale Armor set. Cool!!!
    A few queries:
    1) Not sure I understand how one uses poison in their attacks. I drank it once by accident and started taking damage.
    2) I bought the game through Steam and it says I have version 1.4. Now I'm hearing that 1.8 is coming out. What happened to all the other versions in between?
    My rating: 4

Edit: 1 other thing that happened was with the vendor outside of Dawnstar. My 2nd appearance there, I was greeted by them in a heated battle with a dragon. The vendor was killed before I could intervene and I haven't seen any of them again in any city.

8. Sujamma Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I gave it a 4. It is an awesome game, very big map, lots of quests, cool graphics. However, the story is a bit weak. Also, I hated how the Dark Brotherhood story ends, I was more satisfied with how the Thieves' Guild story turned out. After I finished all of the DB quests, I felt like "Really, that's it? No awesome comeback? I mean sure I killed the emperor and all but still. Something awesome should have happened."

I think you have to highlight the poison and then press enter or E? I'm not entirely sure. I forgot. A smaller window should appear asking if you want to poison your weapon or not.

9. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Your bounty (if any) is individualized for each city. So if the the guards in Markarth are attacking you, it's for something you did in Markarth. The Gulum-Ei quest is in Solitude. Killing Solitude city guards will certainly get you a bounty in Solitude, although you can kill the guards within the warehouse that Gulum-Ei enteres without incuring a bounty.

The Nightingale set is a decent set of armor - one of the best in the game short of echanting your own armor to have the exact attributes you want on it. However, from my experience, it is only really good if you're using all the skills that the set gives bonuses. So it's not really enough to be a thief. You have to be thief who uses sneak, one-handed, archery, and illusion. Now you probably have the first three covered. But if you aren't using illusion, you're better off with the Guild Master's armor set (and if you have the Nightingale Armor, you'll get the Guild Master's set soon enough).

When you select a beneficial potion, like healing, stamina, magicka, cure disease, etc, the character simply drinks it. When you select a potion with negative effects, you'll get a popup box that asks if you want to coat your weapon with the poison. The problem is that some potions have both beneficial and deleterious effects. Sometimes when you click on them, the character will automatically drink them, which is bad if you want to use it as a poison.

Well, 1.8 isn't out yet. 1.7 is that most current at the moment. No big deals in patch 1.6 and 1.7, but you REALLY want to get 1.5, as that fixed a ton of bugs. (Albeit, if you're able to find 1.5, I can't see how finding 1.6 or 1.7 would be a problem at all.) Here's a list of the official patches.

The vendor outside Dawnstar is a member of the traveling Khajiit caravans. As the name implies, they travel around Skyrim and stop at different cities. So while they do a circuit and eventually return to Dawnstar, there's no guarantee that they will be there when you visit the city.

Jondar likes this.
  10. Jondar Gems: 3/31

Thanks Aldeth!!!
    Shortly after posting my reply, I started a new job which necessitated me arising at 4:30 AM and getting home in the early evening; which leaves little time to play. But...
    I've moved forward with Smithing, Enchanting, (each time I do alot of smithing (iron daggers) I save them to advance enchanting). Soon, I'll be able to smith and enchant better armor and weapons.
    I'm still using the Nightingale Armor (made Exquisite through smithing).
    Currently going through some of Mages guild quests so I can use Healing and Destruction.
    Lately, there's been this grey horse that seems to be following me around. Is this a freeby? Hope so. 'Cause I have managed to get him killed. Had to dismount to take care of a Frost Troll that attacked us. While in the battle, a giant killed the horse. So I whomped him good. :evil:
    Haven't gotten around to trying that poison thing yet, but I will. Does it also work on top of the elemental damage that the weapon does?
    This game has me VERY addicted. Is there any way to upgrade my review to 5? :rolleyes:
    Thanks again!!!

Started a new game after that episode in Markarth. If this keeps up, I'm in trouble when they finally release BGEE. :D

Last edited: Nov 21, 2012
  11. Sujamma Gems: 1/31

Are you sure it's grey and not black with red eyes? Because if it is then it's Shadowmere. I'm just saying because when I got Shadowmere he followed me every time I fast traveled. Or maybe all horses in Skyrim do that. Have you tried doing Dark Brotherhood quests?

12. Jondar Gems: 3/31

Very sure. I didn't purchase him/her, he/she just started following me whenever I fast travelled; almost like he/she was claiming me.
    Besides, from all I've read about Shadowmere, he/she cannot be killed by a lowly giant.

13. Sujamma Gems: 1/31

It must be that free horse then. Mine changed from brown to spotted once, and then became brown again. Sometimes he/she doesn't show up at all. I have no idea why or how. I wonder why they gave the player a free horse. It ruins the experience, in my opinion.

14. Arctic Daishi Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Media:
    I gave it a four. It's a good game, but it is overrated and there are much better RPGs out there, as I'm sure we can all agree.

15. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Not that I have found recently. :(

16. Old One

Old One The Old Warrior ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

I hate the interface, hate the camera view and just wish I had saved my money. If i had been able to play this game for 10 min after the long intro I would never have bought it!

17. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    What? It's definitely you, Skyrim rocks lol.

18. The Magpie

The Magpie Balance, in all things Veteran

I decided on a 5 in the end, although if I was rating solely on the out-of-the-box game I'd probably leave that as a 4. It's easily in the top 2 TES games, but Morrowind's guild quests were longer and had more fulfilling, branching storylines (e.g. Fighter's Guild vs Team Jacob). The modding community has done so much to improve & expand upon the original that even the work of people like Westley & pocketplane.net is put in the shade. There's still things Beth need to improve for TES VI -- like blocking actually functioning like blocking, rather than a slight damage resist boost, for example -- but it's a game that learns many of the lessons of its predecessors and (mostly) applies them.

19. Ludovik Duty-bound

Media:
    I initially hated Skyrim. I had never played any of TES games before that and did not know what to expect. The UI out of the box still ranks in my top 10 worst UIs. After playing years of WoW the ability to not hotkey anything aside from 1-10 was game breaking for me. I set it down and then a year later saw some mods on Steam and then got hooked after finding SkyUI and cranking up the difficulty. I still haven't found a mod that makes magic scale with the difficulty; sitting there blasting something with twohand casting for 30seconds does about the same amount of damage as one two handed swing. I gave it a 5 simply for the excellent modding community.

20. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Skyrim is so so good. Just as good as Oblivion if not better. My only minor gripe is that there's about 200,000 NPC'S and about 2 voice actors. The rest of the game is so good though that you don't mind.

I might play it through again actually. Getting withdrawals!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.